1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] "Ghostbusters" Reboot - All female cast

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dback816, Jan 27, 2015.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Will not bother seeing it because I've already seen this movie in Ghostbusters & Ghostbusters 2. There's nothing really original here to peak my interest. What Frieg has done is exactly what JJ Abrams did with Star Wars: TFA - recycle elements of the original script with new actors. Here the catch (or gimmick) is to make the main characters all female. Unlike most of the GB purists, I have no problem with the cast being female but I'm looking for this movie to have the same camaraderie, cleverness and wit that permeated the originals. And, from what I've read in the reviews and seen in the videos snippets, that is simply not the case here. And I have a real problem with Leslie Jones' character playing an 80's black stereotype but at least she gets more screen time than did Ernie Hudson. Of course, the CG is spectacular but that's mainly due to the advances effects technology has made since the original movies. AMC showed the two originals a couple of nights ago and it really struck me just how clever those movies were and how they managed to pull off the rather absurd premise of fighting and trapping ghosts. This new version simply falls short.

When you try to remake or update a classic, you really have to do more than simply rehash the original - you have to give it's own distinct personality so that it can stand on its own merit. That's something Frieg failed to do here which is unfortunately quite typical these days. As an example, look at how Harrison Ford's "The Fugitive" compares with David Janssen's TV version and you'll understand the point I'm making here.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ghostbusters-is-a-perfect-example-of-how-internet-ratings-are-broken/

3. conquistador#11

but the problem is still,
    "I, like the vast majority of people on earth, have not yet seen the new “Ghostbusters” film"

from the writer of that article.:p

I'm a huge ghostbusters fan and will suck it up and go see it, if only to bring one more post to the "what movie have you seen" thread.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

From what I've heard, only one of these 4 enjoyed the Ghostbusters movie

[​IMG]

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

"More specifically, a vocal portion of men on the internet — shall we say — go out of their way to make their voices heard when it comes to judging entertainment aimed at women, and that appears to be happening with the new “Ghostbusters.”"

That's where you know the article is going to be biased bs. And also funny to see how the journalist doesn't question the judgement/agenda of women and "expert" reviewers, but right out of the bat thinks men are biased and intentionally downvote this in huge margins. But females or journalists or intentionally upvoting it? Unthinkable!

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Impressive that you gathered all of that without seeing the movie.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't get it. Why would you go see this?

The people who made this movie don't like you, Ghostbusters, and have actively called you a loser. Why would you put money in their pocket. They used ghostbusters to make a low grade comedy for morons, counting on people to just hand over money because of the name.

#267 Bandwagoner, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i thought it was pretty good. since i don't watch snl, i had no idea who mckinnon was beforehand, but she had the best performance.

certainly not a horrible movie. i could easily see someone giving it a "meh" but nothing worse than that.

9. bigben69

bigben69 Member

It was ok. Could've been worse. I just couldn't stand the blonde one. They tried way too hard to make her the quirky weird one. It was like an snl sketch for her while the rest were actually acting. She was just in the background making stupid faces the entire movie. Anyway, good special effects and good use of 3d. I'd say 5.5/10.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm on the fence about seeing this. I enjoyed Bridesmaids, but absolutely hated Spy (and the critics loved Spy), so I'm not sure.

11. Dei

Dei Member

They should've just made a movie of Extreme Ghostbusters:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DEpCUB8IjzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

better question:

Did the ghosts enjoy GB the movie?

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I'm willing to bet that a large portion of negative user votes are from people who aren't going to see the movie because they think it's going to be awful or hate the idea in the 1st place.

1 person likes this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

I will see it, but I'm not going to go out and see it. But kudo's for getting positive reviews when every trailer pointed to it busting. Looks like they provided some form of entertainment. Even the clip of Conan this week just totally sucked.

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

You should see it but I would suggest being 20 minutes late. Basically, pretend the movie starts the 1st time you see Leslie Jones. Everything before that is carried by Whig and McCarthy who both play the super straight man. Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon are the highlight of the movie and it gets more fun after that. They made the movie being very very aware that it was a re-do of a previous film and I felt like that helped carry it. There is a scene where they read a comment on a youtube video that they uploaded that was probably a real comment made by someone online reacting to the news that the movie would be made: "b****es can't catch ghosts"

Why he should skip the 1st 20 minutes:

The movie doesn't start with an origin story which we probably wouldn't even need anyway. It starts with a getting the gang back together bit which is only compelling if you already know the characters and like them. All of the standoff awkward bitterness just comes off limp because we have no idea what the flip side of it is and how great it would be if they were friends again. The movie gets a lot better once you introduce characters meeting each other for the 1st time. If a sequel started where they had to track down McKinnon's character then I would care and enjoy it

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Saw the movie, some laughs and was enjoyable. Don't regret spending the money to see it but don't think it's amazing. 6.5/10

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

wife wanted to see it so went late last night. wasn't that bad actually. not perfect, far from it, but a solid entertainer. 6/10

18. dback816

dback816 Member

That line doesnt make the article biased at all. It's an absolute fact that there are a lot of neckbeards who get extra mad at media that might not be aimed at them, and this thread is full of examples.

19. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing to all of us your clever analysis w/ out ever seeing the movie. Very engaging. :rolleyes:

20. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I guess me and everyone I went with were the minority when it comes to Kate McKinnon. She was really bad in it we thought. I doubt it is her fault. I didn't know much about her before though. She just seemed so out of place in almost every scene but trying to get all of the attention on her at the same time. My mom, sister, and gf like her on SNL but even they thought she was too much. I'm sure she can be funny from what I hear. The other characters you can relate to somewhat but they made her just too much. At least make her act serious for portions of the movie.

Also, I guess crossing the streams is no longer an issue.