1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Dune: Part Two

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, May 3, 2023.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not Disney
    They would have case RuPaul as Channi

Salvy likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Just for reference - reporting on reducing traffic deaths = woke, according to the person I understand to be the Doggfather of wokeness detection

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Started watching the first one last night, I really like it...

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just looking forward to the sequels, so I can see them pulling off Timothee Chalamet turning into a sandworm. That major plot point a couple of books down the line always was a little difficult for me to imagine.

I mean, I get the whole thing is very arbitrary and fanciful, but apparently that was the point where a nascent Ottomaton lost the ability to suspend disbelief. I would love to see Timothee Chalmet play basically Jabba the Hut. That would be fun.

ROCKSS and B-Bob like this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I really liked the movie. My wife disliked the amount of new characters and storylines; for her it felt like too much story stuffed into 2 hrs 45 minutes. You either go with that or you don't. (I thought The Dark Knight Rises had that same issue but in the end I also "went with it".)

Zendaya in this film is from the Dwayne Johnson / Keanu Reeves school of acting with her chin. The chin head-bob.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I knew there was no way you hire Elvis to play a bit part. Feyd-Rautha's role was definitely expanded.

I've seen stills from this movie of scenes that didn't make the final cut involving Jessica, Alia, and Irulan that will obviously get pushed to Dune: Messiah.

#125 ROXTXIA, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

clos4life, ROCKSS and B-Bob like this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I thought it was pretty damn good. I’ve never read the books and avoided spoilers so I was blown away how much more it was game of thrones or lord of the rings than name your sci fi epic.

The usuals getting worked up over something being “woke” in this film is hilarious. I mean some folks just look for anything to whine about. And of course it’s avoiding the central themes here and trying to make case that X person had this difference in the book yada yada so they don’t have to confront the themes which are pretty clear and on the head. Obviously they know deep down that fascist messianic world leaders are so hot right now with their current tribe so let’s just look over here and not talk about that.

The give away and our moral pov is the women in the story. Especially Chani who is brilliantly turned into our perspective by the end.

Great film. Looking forward to hopefully seeing it again before it leaves the big screen.

IBTL, Uprising, ryan_98 and 2 others like this.
  10. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'll just wait for streaming release, just not ready to spend 3 hours staring at sand.

VanityHalfBlack and Ubiquitin like this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You are missing out big time.

Uprising likes this.
  12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Meh, no FOMO here, I'll see it eventually from the comfort of my home, where I can take as many breaks as I want, just like the first movie and I absolutely didn't miss out back then.

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is where I've landed as well. It's hard to find 3+ hours (including previews, getting to the theater, etc.) to devote just to seeing a movie where I'll have to deal with people talking and using their phones.

clos4life likes this.
  14. ROXTXIA

Then "Lawrence of Arabia" is not for you.

But "Dune 2" definitely deserves a big screen. Of course, I saw it on IMAX, so everyone STFU. If you pay that much, you don't go for a ruined experience.

Uprising, Jontro and droxford like this.
  15. ROXTXIA

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Salvy
    @Os Trigonum
    @Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<Insert NotSureIfSerious.GIF>

I have no idea if you are trying to spoil or if you are being silly and just got it wrong...

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

upload_2024-3-4_16-39-27.png

Sorry it was Timothee's son. Havent read the books in like 30 years. Apologies.

I think the necessity for a spoiler warning has expired 40 years after the book release. Also, seriously doubt Villeneueve is going to make like 6 more movies, to get us to the 4th book, so it will never be an issue. Also it was on the cover of the book, so not a huge secret.

I mean, do I need to spoiler a comment sbout who Luke Skywalker's father is? I would.hope that isnt necessary.

ROCKSS and clos4life like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for ruining it for me..
    :rolleyes:;)

ROCKSS likes this.
  20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Good for you, glad you enjoyed it. Last time I was at IMAX was The Dark Knight and while I enjoyed it after a few minutes the big screen was just another screen once I adjusted. I didn't dish out money for Imax on the 3rd Batman and I never regretted it.

Once again, my own house system is good enough for me nowadays.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.