1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Dune - Denis Villeneuve

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Apr 14, 2020.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

this is a lot easier to follow than the 80's version, lol

clos4life likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Wasn’t planning on watching this so soon but started it and couldn’t stop. I give it a 9/10. Incredibly well done imo. I haven’t read the books in 25 years so can’t remember everything that isn’t perfect or whatever. And of course… you want more at the end cause, well, there’s more to the story.

my only disappointment is it will be years before we get the sequel. If we get it at all given we’re the movie industry is.

Caesar, cmoak1982, DreamShook and 3 others like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Denis Villeneuve is undefeated. Great casting except for mamoa, I hate that guy.

4. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Jason Momoa seems like the most likeable, real, honest, and sincere person in Hollywood. Watch some interviews.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

He is the LeBron James of Hollywood

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

He is a very cool guy, wife chugged a beer with him years ago before he hit big at a convention.

As for the movie, I was really impressed. Its a movie made to be seen on the big screen, the visuals are some of the best I've seen in a sci-fi film, everything feels epic. They do a ton of world building and it rarely feels fake or artificial.

I've heard some people complain about it being slow which I sort of understand, more in the final act where it dragged a tad for my taste.

I have zero attachment to the novel or Lynch film but really enjoyed it.

B+

I'll probably bump that grade up whenever the 2nd half releases.

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

No

9. VanityHalfBlack

yeah the 80s version was a snooze fest.

GRENDEL and DreamShook like this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

i liked mamoa in this. I thought he was cool.

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Entertaining 7/10. For 2.5 hours doesn’t feel like the plot moved forward very much. Probably because I am mentally comparing it to the 80s movie though.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Was it slow?

I guess... I mean, i guess folks are just so accustomed to Marvel constant action crap now, so everything that has any type of story that isn't that feels slow. And sorry to offend the Marvel guys - i enjoy them for pure entertainment value, and recognize which of them are legit better movies than the others, but i don't think any of them are legit "great" movies in any way.

So compared to Marvel, its slow.

But if you're an adult, who enjoys thinking about things at more than a superficial level, its a great story imo... just my two cents.

In a similar way, i think Apple's Foundation series is killing it right now, too. Yes there are things to nitpick about everything, but its just telling a great story that requires a bit of deeper thought. The Expanse too ventures into this realm a lot, though certain seasons/episodes are faster than others, but a common complaint about early Expanse was its too slow.

13. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Agreed. He's solid.

jiggyfly and GRENDEL like this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Even when the actor who played cyborg came out against the working conditions under the WB and Jos Whedon. Momoa was out there risking his whole career to back him and what he was saying about his own employers.

GRENDEL likes this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

reported.

Rocket River likes this.
  16. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Just finished it and I really liked it. Solid movie. I never saw Dune from the 1980s, so can't speak as to how it compares with that. I'd say a solid B+ / A-. I'm gonna have to read the books again one day as I've forgotten a lot of what happens.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It was a'ight.
    Hell yea is was slow . . .. .
    The book has so much background and exposition . .. it cannot be helped.
    From the onset it should have been a series
    This should have been 3 - hour long episodes with more to come

The acting was ok . .the main kid was meh . . zendeya was in it long enough to get a cup of coffeee
    (the mother was likewise me)
    Apocalypse/Thanos and Aquaman were nails
    and manage to bring the energy

A friend complained the music was overwhelming and trying too hard. . .cannot say I disagree

The couple of Sambo moments were meh

Lack of an ending hurts

6.5 ~ 7.5/ 10

Rocket River

Kim likes this.
  18. Caesar

Caesar Member

As a non book reader but know enough from the David Lynch movie(and i even think i watched a tv series in the 90s? +Jadrowskys Dune doc), i have no real attachment to the story. I get the gist of it. I had no trouble following Denis version. It's beautiful and massive in scope. Hans Zimmer score added to the atmosphere and ambience as he always does with his music(i find the tribal screaming extremely annoying though). My 1 negative and it's a big one-the ending.
    I feel the payoff would have been better if the climax was the attack/massacre and Paul and his mother being taken into exile-a dark ending with the exile escape and being stranded and lost in the desert feeling hopeless or maybe the shot of them looking back at the aftermath of the attack from atop the dune-who survived? Who were the people in the visions? You could have used extra time to flesh out characters and background-especially more screen time for Duncan. You could easily pick up part 2 with Paul and his mother escaping-finding the freman and we find out who the people in his visions are and get moving from there. Instead, it all just felt anti-climatic and very weak ending. It makes sense if this was filmed b2b like the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies, but we have to wait likely a minimum of 3 years after that ending? It felt very much like the end of a season 1 finale and you know you have to wait for season 2 to come out-but even that is 1 year wait only.
    From what i can tell in some reviews from book readers, people seem worried 2 parts is not enough. In a world of trilogies for any half assed franchise-why only 2 parts?

My own rating: 8/10 It could go up after another viewing or after the 2nd one comes out and i can watch the full story. Similarly I found The Hobbit very disappointing-but now that i can watch the extended versions b2b2b-i have a new appreciation for them and the pacing and fun journey. Blade Runner 2049 was very similar to Dune in how i appreciated it's positive qualities but i found it a bit hard to sit through in the theater and im a huge fan of the original movie and massive fan of the Vangelis score which could have made my expectations too high. It wasn't until my 2nd and 3rd viewing-it really increased in rating for me and now i love that film.

I highly recommend seeing Dune in IMAX

Squirtle likes this.
  19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Agreed. I was confused with Foundation at first but stuck with it and it's paying off nicely. It's pulled me deeply into that world. It's very hard sci fi and not your typical schlock. The Expanse is quality tv, but no where near Foundation's theatrical level quality.

RocketFan007 and JayZ750 like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I tried to watch it last night but it was just too slow and boring for what limited attention span I had to offer at the time.

I'll give it another go, but if it doesn't do well, I'll understand.

Rocket River likes this.