1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Dune - Denis Villeneuve

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Apr 14, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, finally watched this, admittedly via streaming, but good lord, did this deliver (for me at least). Really beat my expectations, and I didn't even mind where they ended this installment -- great choice. Performances, visuals, sound design, world building, ... I think it's a monumental sci-fi achievement. Can't wait to watch it again soon.

2. B-Bob

But honestly, you know who didn't fit, like... at all?
    Josh Brolin, who I normally like in films, did not fit in this one at all. Even him running across the sand, or yelling at young Paul. It all just fell flat. Everyone else fit for me, including Momoa, Bautista, you name it, especially Ferguson. Good lord was she amazing.

RunninRaven likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Goonies never die!

K mf G, B-Bob and RunninRaven like this.
  4. B-Bob

In case this hasn't been posted, please enjoy. Especially what they did to Brolin and the (now southern) mom.

(I had no idea this channel still existed, but an old -- what else -- friend sent this to me, now that I finally saw the movie.)

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This movie is about to come back to HBOMax for anybody that missed out on it the first time.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

tinman likes this.
  7. clos4life

clos4life Member

80's Dune is still better.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Not too bad considering they just started filming this month. Keep in mind the original release date was 10/2021 and there were concerns it would be a flop. After the early release date in late summer, it was clear to the studio this was a solid film and started pre production talks before the full global release. By the release date, it was announced Dune Part 2 was green lit. Not too long after that the first series was announced (that was fast!) and Children of Dune (part 3) would complete the theatrical trilogy. As any Dune fan knows, Dune Messiah completes the trilogy, so we should expect another 3 movies after this along with several other spin off series. Dune-verse is massive.

The question remains, will all the new freshly minted Paul Atreides fans
    accept that Paul Atreides is closer to being Emperor Palpetine than being a savior

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I would say that is more true of Leto II than Paul.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Everyone thought the film was very good, but think the general moviegoer and a lot women were not impressed enough to go back for more. Given Dune's buget, I envision a big challenge getting six movies out of this. They have some bridges to gap, but it's popularity internationally gives it a chance to eek across the finish line.

#272 PhiSlammaJamma, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I didn't know they were trying for 6 movies. If they can make something even better on the 2nd one it could snowball. There is a ton of potential there.

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yeah, Villeneuve has said he'd like to make 3 but is focused on part 2 right now....

"Now I could envision a third movie and to make the adaptation of Dune Messiah that will complete Paul Atreides's story that I think would make sense. But each movie, those movies are monsters, and I can only do one at a time. If I survive Dune: Part Two, then I might do the Messiah."

It's important to note, though, that as far as Villeneuve told us, Messiah is a long way away — it's far from in pre-production, or even the pre-planning stages. Why? Dune: Part Two takes precedence. In his words, Villeneuve explained, "When I start to think about that, I get tired. It's too much. I need to focus on one project at a time, to be honest. But Part Three will be... I'm making sure that Part Three will be doable."

https://collider.com/dune-3-messiah-denis-villeneuve-comments-dune-2/

Deckard and peleincubus like this.