1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Dune - Denis Villeneuve

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Apr 14, 2020.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

While I enjoyed Snyder cut, like Cyborg's backstory, there were parts that could be tighter. ...and if he didn't slow mo everything, film length would have went down significantly.

Sometimes studio execs are valuable, they save directors from themselves. Judd Apatow comes to mind as someone, who have problems cutting his film. A good chunk of his stuff belongs in the extra section of a Blu ray.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They need to fast-track that **** or find a way to maintain public interest.

It was a mistake IMO to not film it all at once.

Deckard, B-Bob, Bobbythegreat and 3 others like this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

if they filmed it all at once and said it was a 2-parter you don't think people would have been pissed?

You know the suits want to see if it will make money first before committing.

Squirtle likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm thinking it's because past Dunes were hard to please anyone and Blade Runner didn't help Denis' case as a box office friendly director.

Sci Fi outside of brainless SW or Marvel action movies is really hard to pull off at the BO.

RedIsen and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Loved it, loved everything about it except for Jason Momoa being cast in a role but especially enjoyed that he died. Terrible actor glad they didn't let him ruin a great movie. Was worried that he was being cast as Gurney (I avoided all information)

Beautiful movie, absolutely stunning visuals. However, I came to the movie with history with Dune. My guess did not and did not enjoy it and doesn't care to see Pt 2.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you have to see this at home
    Make sure you watch it on OLED
    @Ziggy

Rileydog and Squirtle like this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Weird the Duncan Idaho slander. I thought he was really good.

If Dune continues to be successful he will be back

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I am aware of where the franchise goes but I continue to be optimistic that they realize the less he speaks the better.

DreamShook likes this.
  12. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Love it lol..

13. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Clean shaven Momoa was odd. Less sexy IMO. @Jontro pls confirm.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

can confirm would still fap. breh got strong chin

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

He looked like he should of been cast in The Patriot.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

DreamShook and Invisible Fan like this.
  17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even if the series continues to be profitable...it's hard for me to imagine they continue the movies much beyond part 2. They get pretty strange pretty fast.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Absolutely agree. I thought he was terrific.

Those who are "glad" he died (for some weird reason) clearly haven't read the books. He's in all six of the Herbert written novels.

What disappointed me about the film, most of which I loved, is where Part One ends. I thought it would end after they reached Sietch Tabr, giving the audience a look at just what is hidden under the sands of Dune. It's mentioned in the film that the Harkonnens thought there were perhaps 50,000 Fremen inhabiting Arrakis. The Duke knew that was wildly off, off by millions, which is key to so much going forward. Having several of the main characters walking off into the desert and suddenly bringing this to an end was far too abrupt, in my opinion.

One other thing - Paul's fixation with Chani, the constant showing of her in his thoughts and dreams, is way overdone, in my opinion. We get it, Denis. You don't have to hit us over the head with the chick again and again.

OK, another thing - HBO didn't do us any favors by waiting until the film opened to "greenlight" Part Two. There's no reason they couldn't have filmed much of the second half while making the first. It would have saved them money, and more importantly, brought Part Two forward as much as a year, in my opinion. Having to wait until 2023 is disappointing. It might not have bothered me quite as much had Part One ended differently. Maybe. HBO should have grown some balls.

#218 Deckard, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Rocket River and Nook like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Maybe some suits suggested that since it was the barebones love interest and the only other female character outside the mom.

I could see how women who aren't interested in sci would hate this movie.

foh and Deckard like this.
  20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its been well known why part 2 was not filmed at the same time. There was not a high confidence part 1 would be highly successful. If you recall, there was early viewing of the movie which resulted in quite a few changes during the pandemic.

Where the movie ended was not a terrible spot. In the book, there is a time jump of a couple years. I do believe part 2 will deviate from the book a bit to prevent the movie from dragging on. 2 1/2 hours of desert and caverns will get old fast. I do wonder how they will handle Jessica's pregnancy.

DreamShook and Nook like this.