1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie]Dinner for Shmucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The_Yoyo, Mar 25, 2010.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

i went to a screening for this last night over at paramount studios normally i dont bother too much with these screenings but a paul rudd, steve carell movie? looks interesting enough for me to want to go so i did.

basic premise is that paul rudd's character is an up and coming at a financial firm where the head partners have a monthly dinner where each member brings a "special" guest. The guest being the biggest idiot/dork they could find so they all could be entertained at the expense of the guest. at the end of the dinner a trophy is award to the biggest idiot.

The dinner itself is a pretty f'ed up concept but anyways

Carell's character, Barry, is the idiot that Rudd meets and decides to bring to the dinner. Barry is a lonely guy who latches onto Rudd and in a matter of a day makes his life totally miserable.

The producer said it was a work in progress, but the film was pretty much complete outside of some audio work and possible edits, was told we were the first audience to see the movie so our feed back was "critical"

personally? the movie was not that good, predictable plot "turns" and Carell really gets type casted as the "michael scott" character of creating ridiculously awkward and socially inappropriate sitautions. Rudd is the "bad guy" who learns "good" and so forth. It did have a few "laugh out loud" moments and Zach Gifankis (i dont know how to spell his last name) was hillarious in his role.

hopefully they edit out some totally unnecessary scenes to shorten the film a bit but I would say that this is a definite rental and not a movie to go see at the theaters. Its supposed to come out in the summer.

i would probably give it 2.5/5

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427152/

on a side note my friend and I were randomly chosen to be part of a smaller focus group after the movie with the director (jay roach -austin powers/meet the parents) and producer but when the marketing lady came to us after the movie to ask us what we thought and we say 2.5/5 she said thanks and passed on us. The few other people who stayed afterwards whose answers we were able to over hear said 3.5 or higher out of 5. Some focus group only wanting people who loved the movie, but then again thats also typical hollywood behavior

2. platy

platy Member

i seem to remember watching a French movie with the same premise few years back, could be wrong....

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

yeah i think it was a remake of sorts from that or at least both were taken from the same book

4. professorjay

professorjay Member

That was also an episode from Married With Children. Except in the end Bud and Kelly and all the 'losers' beat up the mensa members.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

what was that movie where the liberal twentysomethings had a weekly dinner and one week, someone brought some racist dude (bill paxson) who helped them when they had car troubles and they ended up accidentally killing them, so they start bringing someone every week that they'd poison or some ****? i wanna say cameron diaz was in it before she hit it big.

terrible movie, but this made me think of it.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Yeah, this was a French movie originally. I thought Hollywood already did an English-language version of it though. Is this a remake of a remake?

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

The_YoYo, what, if you can say, are the predictable plot turns? Just the ones you mention?

Are there any cameos by any other comedians or celebrities?

It seems like the Apatow group of the people from The 40-year-old-virgin and the Will Ferrell groups are probably the only people making movies these days... there are no movies from other good comedians... heck, even Carlos Mencia is getting roles nowadays... where are the other comedians?!?! :(

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

ron livingston is in it and some other somewhat familiar faces

as for plot twist its the standard "guy has the life of his life but doesnt realize what he is doing wrong then goes through a bunch of crap and realizes" like he keeps realizes what the "right" thing to do as he changes from a 'corporate vulture' to a nice guy --talking about Rudd's Character here (main character in movie)

movie uses rudd's love story as a huge part of the film and his love story is very predictable