1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Despicable Me

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Jul 9, 2010.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Saw this at the special screening last night with the SwoLy family...

I was pleasantly surprised and had lots, lots, lots of laughs. If those three girls aren't in the movie, I don't think it gets to be any good between just villains hurting each other. The Minion thingiemajiggies are also what makes this movie much better. Expect your 3D experience to be worth it.

Semi-Spoilers:
    I think this movie will do for Steve Carell what Shrek did for Mike Myers: catapult him into animation stardom without using his own voice. It was difficult for me to imagine Steve acting like Gru before I watched the movie, but he worked it to perfection. I expect to see a second one.

8 out of 10 Smilies from me as it lacked a bit of character development and could have had a bit less slapstick humor than it did. Go see it, though, it's worth it.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

"Here is plan: You take family or see by self, buy popcorn, enjoy movie. Later you write review. You understand movie and message, you will love. Movie will not disappoint. Consider I pay ruble to see movie once again."

2. droxford

droxford Member

Hispanic?

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

No, I believe he is Russian... I believe the name GRU comes from the Glavnoye Razvedyvatelnoye Upravleniye. :eek: Good try.

Go see it.

4. Nero

Nero Member

Didn't you notice how he sounded just like Steve Carrell sounding vaguely Eastern-European right there?

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i'm more excited about this movie than i have any other animated movie.

6. Gooshie

Gooshie Member

Ugh, I'm gonna get dragged to see this by my 11 year old nephew next week

Chalk me up as someone who doesn't get how adults find all of these children's animated features appealing (Toy Story, Shrek, Pixar crap, etc)

People always say that there's "adult" humor hidden in them or that the jokes are funny for the whole family...I don't see it. They're not terrible movies to me but they're boring.

7. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Member

Better than Toy Story 3 I hope.

I heard you must stay for the credits.

8. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

no thx, predator for me

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

^ That's good.
    Saw both and will take TS3 over DM in a close competition. :eek: Maybe it's because TS3 is a household name, has more "star power", and it's "DISNEY", while DM is not.

Gooshie, I don't think this movie has much "adult" humor, in my opinion... I enjoy taking my family to the movies, however, and love seeing them have fun over an animated feature... I like these movies, too...

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

it's because you have no soul.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Did you have a boring childhood or something? :grin:

12. MadMax

MadMax Member

did you see Up? Wall-E? any of the Toy Story movies?

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

methinks gooshie could learn a lesson or two from these movies about opening his stone cold heart.

14. MoBalls

MoBalls Member

Are you serious? I'm gonna guess you are under the age of 20?

15. MoBalls

MoBalls Member

Taking my kid and neighbors kid tomorrow to see it.

16. Gooshie

Gooshie Member

I'm 26. I've seen all the Toy Story movies. I haven't seen UP or Wall-E, but I thought other Pixar movies like Finding Nemo and Monster's Inc were boring. I fell asleep during Cars, I barely remember it. I know these kinds of movies are supposed to tug at your heartstrings and give you the fuzzies while providing family friendly laughs, but...meh.

I just don't get how people other than kids, or those who's tastes have become watered down because of children, can enjoy these movies.

17. leroy

leroy Member

Because I like cartoons. My 4-year old has seen Cars hundreds of times. I end up watching a majority of the movie with him a large percentage of the time he watches it. I just like the movies. I liked Finding Nemo and Monster's Inc, too. I don't think it's for the reasons you think someone should like them. I just do and I enjoy watching a movie with my kids.

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Going to go enjoy this flix this weekend. Should be nice.

19. MadMax

MadMax Member

i'd tell you that Wall-E and Up in particular are adult movies (no, not that kind perv) dressed up as kids movies.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

I have met the anti-christ and his moniker is Gooshie. ;)

Seriously, if you can't enjoy one of the movies mentioned above, you have to be dead inside.