1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Delhi Belly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OrangeRowdy95, Jul 5, 2011.

1. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

I saw this movie tonight, and it reminded me of an Indian version of The Hangover meeting Dumb and Dumber (because of the many scenes of a guy taking gross poops). It's not really a Bollywood movie because it is in English, but it does have a few songs (which are really good), and Aamir Khan produced it.

It's a bit over-the-top, but so were The Hangover and Dumb and Dumber.

This is the first "Indian" movie I've seen that has accurately portrayed the modern, up-and-coming side of India. People (especially Indians) have this notion that India is all about praying and studying. Bollywood films have ingrained the standard formula of "boy meets girl, and they fall in love." It is rare to see kissing, sex, drugs, partying, vulgarity, and profanity in Indian movies, but this one has it all. In fact, I have several Indian friends from India who fit the stereotypes depicted in the film.

It has already garnered 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. I think that's a bit too high. I'd give it a B- overall, maybe even a C+. I thought both Hangovers and Dumb and Dumber were better (maybe that's why I would rate this movie lower; the general theme has been done enough times).

Anyone else see this flick yet?

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Haven't heard of it til now. Looks like the only places showing it are AMC 30 and Bollywood Cinema 6 by West Oaks. Hopefully I can check it out this week.

3. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

If you go to Bollywood 6, go on Tuesdays. Tuesdays are buy 1 get 1 free day.

The line tonight nearly reached Highway 6. I don't think all the older fobs waiting knew what they were getting themselves into with Delhi Belly. It's definitely catered towards the under-35 crowd.

4. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

You mean India is not about praying and studying? My mind is blown.

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Waiting to be reminded by vtexas09 that Slumdog Millionaire is the greatest move of ALL TIME.

1 person likes this.
  6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

How bout "3 Idiots"?

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wow talk about a blast from the past

i saw this movie playing at the amc near my parents place over the weekend but no one else wanted to see it. I thought it wasnt like the normal indian movie when i saw its runtime was like 100 minutes long.

interesting maybe i'll check it out if its still playing there next time i visit my folks

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Devry Education + Expired Hair Gel + Cheap Scotch will definitely blow anybodys mind.

9. R0ckets03

Such an overrated movie. It was pretty good till about the last 30 min when it went completely Bollywood (super corny!!!)

10. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

The only two Indian movies I've watched in their entirety are Dhobi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries) and Udaan. Highly recommend both (they aren't the song and dance variety).

11. R0ckets03

EXCELLENT recommendations. Both are available on Netflix and streaming too maybe. Not your typical Bollywood movies at all.

12. A00man

A00man Member

Both really are fantastic movies, and worth watching for people that aren't into the traditional Bollywood fare.

I've heard good things about Delhi Belly. I'll probably hold out till the DVD though.

1 person likes this.
  13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yep, great movies for those of us who aren't into the whole song and dance thing. Delhi Belly looks interesting.....I'll definitely try and check it out.

14. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I'd like to add Dil Chahta hai into the mix... no it's not an indie film like Udaan & Dhobi Ghat and yes it is heavily bollywood influence, but the script quality is way above any typical bollywood film.

I would even say it somewhat set the tone for movies like Udaan and Dhobi Ghat, in the sense that film-makers were getting younger, and understanding that there was an audience that would appreciate the quality hindi movies as well (although the majority of the Indian audience clearly still prefers the masala/typically mindless movies - with a fair reason too: escape from the drudgery of real life). It was made in 2001 while the other two were made as recently as 2009 & 2010. I think Dil Chahta Hai also fueled Amir Khan's interest in the independent-style movies (note that I said fueled, not sparked)

Anyway, relating this to Delhi Belly, I wouldn't say it is a pioneering film. It's just reflecting the increasing Westernization/socioeconomic improvement of Indians aged 30 and younger, hence scoring the big budget and the big name producer.

If you guys enjoy the indie flicks, I recommend 2 movies: Bollywood Calling (2001) and 3 Deewarein (2003-lifted off Shawshank Redemption, but in quality fashion) both directed by Nagesh Kukunoor.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched Delhi Belly yet. Will watch soon. From the trailers it seems like a comedy of errors plot like something by Guy Ritchie; point being there have been decent movies of this style before

Edit:
    Naresh, I completely disagree with your statement. It's incredibly superficial & r****ded. The vast majority of Indians are those not living in the Delhi/Mumbai/Chennai/Bangalore/Kolkata and for them, it is about culture and study (more accurately the majority are farmers, trying to make enough money to survive, and praying). Only the cities are seeing the increasing westernization of the younger Indians. When you say you know people who fit the movie's characters, you are only talking about people from the upper middle class and higher, or Indians (nationality not diaspora) living abroad. They are a growing population (grace a India's economic improvement) but they are not even close to representing the overall population.

#14 srrm, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  15. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Slumdog Millionaire. Psh. That's old news. LOL.

16. mulletman

mulletman Member

fyi, there is a hindi version of the movie. I think only the English version is available for viewing here (I'm not sure about Bollywood 6, but AMC 30 was showing the english one)

love that movie. thats why I have high hopes for Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara relasing on the 15th (I cant stand Hrithik or Katrina, but Zoya/Farhan Akhtar movies are usually pretty good)

those looking for non-masala hindi movies from the first part of this year, this article has a decent list (including some already mentioned above):

http://www.firstpost.com/bollywood/bollywoods-indie-soul-the-mid-year-best-of-list-34979.html

^from the list, Anurag Kashyap's Paanch is one that I'm going to try to watch. I liked his take on the 'Devdas' story (Dev.D), so this may be interesting

another non-masala director I like is Vishal Bhardwaj. Favorites from his movies that I've seen: Ishqiya, Kaminey, Omkara

17. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Saw it and thought it was incredibly entertaining! Quality of direction, acting and script were supremely better than the typical bollywood movie.

Doesn't change my opinion that it's not the first of its kind, but the movie itself is owrth watching

18. R0ckets03

My favorite Bollywood movie of all time. I've yet to meet a person that doesn't like this movie. People who don't watch Bollywood movies at all even have good things to say about this movie.

19. arjun

arjun Member

i wanna see delhi belly..trying to go today at amc studio 30

and as far as all time favorite..i would have to say DDLJ :)

20. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Agreed, I love Dil Chahta Hai! Just a quality movie. I've watched it around 40-odd times and screened it to several white friends... all of whom thoroughly enjoyed it too

That's a good list... I haven't seen all of those movies, but they sound interesting. Definitely looking forward to the Akhtars' movie. I think they're slowly selling out and making more fluffy bollywood movies, but based on their past movies they've earned the right to at least give them a chance

Frankly, there are three categories of hindi movie watchers:
    a) middle Middle class and lower public in India
    b) upper Middle class and higher public in India and Indian nationals living abroad (+1st generation emigrants)
    c) people of Indian origin abroad i.e. 2nd gen and higher

Group a): enjoy Singh is King movies (escapism). Don't really have any comment about this group... they deserve to have this kind of entertainment.
    Group b): enjoy movies like Dil Chahta Hai, Rang de Basanti, etc. These people are most in tune with the socioeconomic situation in India and most likely care about the country's development, therefore appreciating the more realistic films with messages
    Group c): enjoy the fluff Yashraj/Karan johar films. Some of these people are aware of the socioeconomic situation, but are not connected enough to want to affect it in any way.

In my opinion, these groups are basically mutually exclusive e.g. One of my best friends who belongs to group c) doesn't like Dil Chahta Hai, saying the movie drags and is boring.

I'm just happy we're getting more movies to satisfy group b!

#20 srrm, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011