1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie Buffs Only] Indie Films, Classic Films, Feel-Good films, & Underrated films

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

So this thread is about movies that I'm thinking about checking out and would love to hear people's opinions regarding the movies I list.

First are the feel-good films:

Kramer vs Kramer - this was a best picture winner i believe, do you guys think it deserved it?
    Midnight Run - I don't know if this is actually a feel good film, it looks like a Rush Hour movie, in fact.
    Royal Tennenbaums - I've seen some Wes Anderson movies but none of them have really ever hit the mark
    Manhattan - Never seen a Woody Allen movie
    Awakenings - Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro in a feel good movie, i wonder what that's like?
    The Fisher King - Robin Williams in another feel good movie
    My Left Foot - I saw the trailer for this and unsurprisingly DDL wow'ed me.
    Sweet Hereafter - not really a feel good movie, i think?

Underrated films:
    Terry Gilliam's Brazil and Fear & Loathing - Want to see these very soon
    Darren Afronofsky's Pi - Hoping it's better than Requiem for a dream (which is his best, IMO)
    Synechdoche, New York - I loved Adaptation/Truman Show/Eternal Sunshine, and this movie has that same feel
    The Color Purple - I love Steven Spielberg and if this is anything like how touching Schindler's List was, I'd love to know
    Empire of the Sun - Christian Bale when he was a kid

Classic films:
    People mention Fellini, Bergman, Mike Leigh as the best ever and I checked out trailers of movies they made, but I figured I would not be able to get into Fellini's movies, but here are movies made by the other two:

Fanny and Alexander - this looks interesting, and they say the 5 hour version is better, but i really don't want to watch a movie that long..
    Topsy-Turvy - if this is anything like Shakespeare in Love, I will love it.
    Another Year
    Happy-Go-Lucky
    Secrets and Lies - this gets a lot of critic acclaim
    The White Ribbon - a foreign film
    Vera Drake
    Naked
    A Prophet
    Persona
    The Silence
    Cries and Whispers

2. Northside Storm

Pi is confusing as f**k, you're never quite sure where you are at pretty much any time, and things just---happen. yet it's paced magnificently, and feels just off-kilter enough to keep you engaged in the film---and yet totally off-put at the same time.

so in summary, if you liked Requiem, you'll like Pi. I personally didn't really like Requiem, liked Black Swan and the Wrestler a lot better, but to each his own.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Midnight Run - <--- This is a Favorite of mine
    Awakenings - <--- I thought this was pretty good.
    The Color Purple - <--- hated it

Rocket River

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The Rules of Attraction. One of my favorite flicks ever starring Dawson Creek himself. Watch it.

[​IMG]

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

BTW, if anyone would like to mention any indie films it would be gladly appreciated. I LOVED World's Greatest Dad, and if any of you know an indie movie like that please post it on here.

Also, has anyone seen The Beaver and if it's any good?

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

7. Yoda

Yoda Member

What are indie films? Movies like Darjeeling Limited? The equivalent to indie music? Basically horrible movies that are unpopular so we can listen/watch it and say we are different from mass audiences and whoever doesn't like it are brainwashed sheep?

Brazil-garbage.
    Fear and Loathing-garbage, except for the acting.
    Pi-good, as is any Aronofsky movie.
    Empire of the Sun-great. ( is this an indie film?)

I honestly don't know what it means.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

[​IMG]

Watch this movie.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Indie films - movies with low budget, plot line not as typical as what we usually see. that's all man. doesn't mean they're better than popular movies. i usually watch them because i wanna watch something different and unique.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

A film that has at least 3 scenes with wood paneling, a Van or muttonchops.

11. VanityHalfBlack

No Indie films are not crap Mr. Yoda... It's not trying to be Hollywood but something different from the CGI bullsh!t or Michael Bay's robot fisting.... It's more on an intimate scale and the heart lies in the screenplay/direction/acting... Hollywood (some) movies are mindless fun, while Indie films required you to turn on that brain and pay fully attention to detail/detail/detail...
    It's about exploring your taste in different genre of film-making/ thought provoking...

12. edjunkie

edjunkie Member

There are plenty of good indie films and plenty of crap ones. Movies are like everything else to me. I like what I like and that makes it good. Critical acclaim, critics, coolness ect mean nothing. Good is simply anything I enjoy.

Indie type movies I have seen lately that I liked include
    Leaves of grass (Ed Norton)
    Stakeland( Vampire/ post apocalyptic)
    The Killer inside me. Brutal film where Jessica Alba gets beaten in the most brutal scene I have seen in year)
    Kill the Irishman
    Let the right one in

ect Then again I love Farley bros comedies, sci fy action flicks, and Mainstream action like the Mechanic, the Town, Unknown ect. Watch something you enjoy and never watch something just because it makes you look cool.

13. VanityHalfBlack

Is this list good enough for you Yoda??

50 GREATEST INDEPENDENT FILMS
    by Empire Magazine
    http://www.filmsite.org/independentfilms3.html

14. Yoda

Yoda Member

those are indie films? I love most of them. But, why are they considered indie films if a lot of them are really popular?

15. Yoda

Yoda Member

so anything that is not a popcorn action flick is an indie film?

16. Yoda

Yoda Member

So basically it should be called Anti-Michael Bay films?

17. edjunkie

edjunkie Member

The Terminator is not indie

The Terminator is not indie lol. Not a bad list though. I would rather watch dawn of the dead over Night of the living dead though.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

Again... indie films are those that are experimental, low budget, less focused on special effects and more on acting, story, etc.

Yeah, pretty much not Michael Bay films.

19. VanityHalfBlack

Yea you can say that,Those movies started out not being too popular, but financed by a small group of investors... Basically Indie films can be a lot of things, genre/foreign/ low budget/blacksploitation, you name it... They start small and if Festival screenings give a good word of mouth, then some major studios will buy the film and distribute it to a wider audience....

20. Yoda

Yoda Member

So pretty much any Directors first few films? For example: Nolans "Following" and "Memento" are Indie films, but other big budget, popular films like "The Dark Knight" are not?