1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Avatar 2: The Way of Water

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 21, 2021.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

If you bring it close enough to your face it's like being at IMAX!;)

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well,
    Maybe her Grampa is Palpatine?

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's unobtainable.

Jontro likes this.
  4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I mean, was anyone actually watching this for the plot?

No really. Someone actually walked into Avatar 2 and thought, damn this plot line about to be legendary.

[​IMG]

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Tickets are expensive. $27 per adult for the 3d with Imax. We settled for the $14 ea. 3D rpx since I have to pay for 6.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

Its amazing how the Avatar movies are judged so harshly for plot and acting or even the fact its cgi. It's judged against perfection while these same people love capes and tights movies and tons of clichéd and poorly acted films.

There's nothing in these films acting or plot wise that makes you want to check out strictly because of it. All the worldwide resident contrarions come out for this specfic verse for some reason.
    You can turn on anything on any app or go to the movie and watch terrible and obviously bad acting before you look at avatar 1 or 2 with unbiased eyes and say that it had bad acting. You can do the same with plots.
    Guillermo Del Toros Pinnochio is just another animated film.
    We take too much for granted now and we immediately want to dismiss anything with a legendary past as nostalgic. Jim Cameron is getting the Jordan treatment from young fans now who just dont want to allow themselves to see his greatness.(not that jim is the jordan of film. Kurusawa and Kubrick and Spellberg and JC combined maybe)

Anyway...the film was OUTSTANDING.

IBTL, TimDuncanDonaut and JW86 like this.
  7. Caesar

Caesar Member

Went on a lil 4am drunken rant there ay?

8. TimDuncanDonaut

Nah you're good.

I dabbled in 3D/4D animation tools back in the day. It's a high learning curve, especially when trying to learn from scratch and go about it yourself.

Some skills has a low barrier entry. Say cooking for example. Cooking well takes time and exprience, but cooking an omelette is something many can learn fairly easily. Same thing with doing a layup, or writing a Hello World program. But creating even a simple CGI image (without help: AI/templates) from scratch takes time because familiarity with the software first. The artistry it takes to do some of the stuff we see on the big screen is mind boggling.

When a director has a tricky scene in mind; the way to go about it could vary greatly. A few second of a shot could a product of several CGI techniques/pass thru, hours of rendering, and worked on by many CGI artists. It's not like a painter; where the method doesn't vary (still a canvas, a brush and some paint). In case of Avatar and Cameron's other projects, new methods were invented to accomplish some of the things they want.

To a movie audience, if something doesn't look right (or up to par), it's fair to critique. By most accounts, Avatar 2 delivered visually. Things like the plot and dialogue wasn't cringe or bad enough that it got in the way of the visual experience.

I saw this on a Tue; was a daytime screening. 3D Imax in one of the Luxury lounge seats, had a blast.

#108 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    Caesar likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Or you can use UE5.

10. TimDuncanDonaut

11. Buck Turgidson

It's a very pretty movie with nothing else going for it.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It wouldn't be the Internet without a 4AM drunken rant every now and then.

Caesar likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Regarding the importance of plot and acting this is still a movie trying to tell a story. If we just decide plot and acting don't matter then The Phantom Menace should've been best picture.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Movie was a combination of Water world, Moana, braveheart, and toy soldier. I give it a 7/10. Felt I was watching a ps3 video game.

My kids did enjoy it.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Are you saying this because you feel the graphics/CGI are dated or are you saying this because you're old and think PS3 is the pinnacle of gaming graphics/CGI?

Caesar likes this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

LOL.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep. I enjoyed it for the effects. Not sure I will watch it again.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

not sure if I’m gonna see this in theaters or wait for it to be available to rent/stream

the run time is a big obstacle for me right now

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Serious question with some Gen-X snark.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Never doubt James Cameron, but it still aggravates me that the GOAT has dedicated 25 years to this visual art franchise and stopped making masterpieces.