1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moves to be made to make it 10 straight ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by megastahr, Oct 16, 2022.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If there is no balance between maintaining players and turnover the window to contend ends.

Any team hoping to remain competitive for 10+ years must let players walk as they become older and/or more expensive and replace them with younger controllable pieces.

This team has done that since the window opened

2017- Castro, Valbuena
    2018- Beltran, Fiers, Gregorson
    2019- Marwin, Gattis, McCann, Keuchel, Morton
    2020- Cole, Harris, McHugh, Miley, Marisnick, Chirinos
    2021- Springer, Reddick, Peacock, Devenski, Osuna.
    2022- Correa, Grienke

Let the veterans walk and trust player development to have young guys ready to step up.

This is extremely important because unlike most organizations who can trade away stars in their free agency year, a team can't do that in a year they hope to win.

So far so good.

This year it will be Gurriel, Brantley, Diaz, Montero, and Castro.

*Hopefully Verlander does not join them but if he does it's the cost of extending the window.

For every rule there us an exception and this one is that occassionally you should extend a veteran if it benefits the team, even if he becomes very expensive. JV is an example of this. He helps and mentors young players, still plays at a high level, can be an Astro during MLB milestones, and by name alone benefits the organization.

Kim and lw17 like this.
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I also would like Montero to return but with Pressly and Neris already on higher than RP arb salaries and Stanek ( and Maton?) On arb 3 level salaries I just don't see the budget to make it happen.

Early 2022:
    Closer: Pressly
    Leverage: Stanek, Neris, Montero

Abreu added himself to that list and makes Montero expendable.

A 7 man bullpen ( 6 man rotation) of: Pressly, Stanek, Abreu, Martinez and some combination of Maton, Dubin, Taylor, Paredes, Mushinski, Blanco, James, Bielak will work just fine. Reinforce at the trade deadline if necessary.

lw17 likes this.
  3. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Here's hoping that Paredes is next year's version of Abreu. Lord knows he has the stuff. Just needs to find the strike zone.
    I don't think we should ever extend any middle reliever set up types. Closers perhaps. Guys like Graveman and Montero are world beaters one year and stink the next. No thanks.

lw17 likes this.
  4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You don’t have Neris in the bullpen. He’s under contract but I’d personally trade him- 8.5M is not at all messed with the other strength of the bullpen. I assume Maton will be back. I’d trade or non tender him myself before I gabe him $4M but Click has a bullpen fetish so that’s not at all likely to happen, obviously.

5. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I heard local Houston news is reporting friction between Crane Click and Dusty since their contracts are up. Anyone hear anything on this? I assumed if we win it perfect way for Dusty to go out if he wanted to. Just kinda sucks if this stuff is coming out right now

raining threes likes this.
  6. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Play along for just a second, but let’s say Click doesn’t return - any ideas as to legit Candidates for GM? Assuming we’d never bring Lunhow back ;)

7. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

It was kind of talked about after the trade deadline. Click failed to add another bat after Mancini and Vazquez so Crane was mad. Also kind of known that Baker and Click didn't see eye to eye from last year. Different opinion of Straw, Meyers McCormick??

It was reported that Baker and Click getting an offer was based on what they did in the playoffs. Last week, it was reported that Baker was asked to come back but no official contract offer. Baker said he wants to keep managing whether they win or not. Nothing was reported on Click. But is getting to the World Series good enough or do they have to win it for Click to get an extension? Nook also said simething like Click wants to stay but wouldn't mind leaving if another team offered him a job. Crane is apparently heavily involved. Click prefers a team where the owner isn't heavily involved and he could just do his thing.

raining threes and whiskeyred like this.
  8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Baker also hinted in spring training he preferred Leon and got "out voted".

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's only coming up because they are both on expiring contracts. This does not normally happen with either, much less both in the last 40 years.

raining threes and whiskeyred like this.
  10. Yordan The Great

All of this is crap and hearsay.

"It was reported".... By who your cousin?

11. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Rosenthal said contract offers could be based on playoffs performance. Sounds like maybe it was opinion but Nightengale reported the same.

Asking Baker to come back next season was from Heyman who reported it last week.

But looking back at the reports, Crane told both Rosenthal and Heyman that they'll address both after the season ends.

#71 punkoholic, Oct 27, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  12. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

With Yuli looking done…I am signing one of Abreu/Bell/Rizzo and resigning Verlander.

nothing else is crucial and we repeat. We can let montero walk if he commands too much. We need something at catcher so if we bring maldy and run with home Korey Lee…maybe Vazquez wants one more…we have the best team in baseball going into next year

lw17, red5rocket and ramotadab like this.
  13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Hoping for Bell.
    Pedro Leon call up
    Brantley comes back

Kim likes this.
  14. raining threes

Sid Mejdhal (SP?)

I saw that out there somewhere on the internet.

It must be true.

15. raining threes

Yuli was the best hitter they had in the playoffs other than Pena. With this team that's all that really counts.

You keep Yuli and train up a guy like Yanier to replace him.

JV and Vazquez is where the money needs to be spent.

the shark likes this.
  16. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Can chas play left field?

Because I'm still believe in jake meyers at center. We saw how good he was at the end of 2021 and beginning part of the 2021 postseason.

If Chas can play LF and jake meyers can get back to where he was in 2021, I think this roster is set. Of course you have pedro leon if he's ready to be called up.

In terms of 1B. Idk. They can definitely bring yuli back for 1 maybe 2 years. If they're moving forward with the young guns, you have jj or hensley. If they're not ready, you can always go get Jose Abreu or Anthony Rizzo. Both are in their 30s thou.

Kim and raining threes like this.
  17. the shark

the shark Member

EXACTLY!!!

Anyone saying Yuli is "done" OBVIOUSLY haven't been paying attention.

18. Landry's Tooth

Sign:
    Jose Abreu 3 years / 70 million
    Justin Verlander 3 years / 100 million*
    *partial guarantee on third year - takes top 10 cy young or 150 IP in either year prior
    Michael Brantley 2 years / 25 million
    Yuli Gurriel 1 year / 8 million

Let Walk:
    Montero
    Diaz
    Vazquez
    Maton
    J James
    Taylor

Lineup
    2B Altuve
    SS Pena
    LF Alvarez
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    DH Abreu
    1B Gurriel
    CF McCormick
    C Maldonado

Bench
    Brantley
    Dubon
    Lee
    Hensley
    Meyers

Rotation
    Verlander
    Valdez
    Javier
    Mccullers
    Garcia

Bullpen
    Pressly
    Stanek
    Abreu
    Neris
    Urquidy
    Brown
    Martinez

That's 215 million on active 26... figure 225 for 40 man.

Luxury tax level in 2022 was 230 so Crane still isn't paying into tax.

We can then rotate LF/1B/DH between Abreu, Yordan, Brantley, and Gurriel with Yordan/Abreu getting more time and Brantley/Gurriel effectively platooned.

Gurriel, Hensley, and Dubon provide depth at multiple positions.

19. astroa89

astroa89 Member

Resign Verlander and trade for Trout and Ohtani. That should shore up all their needs right there. No one winning against that team.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I agree with everything but we need someone to split time with Maldy. The fact that he played with a hernia and injured hand this season shows how important that is. Would love to bring back Vazquez.