1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moves to be made to make it 10 straight ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by megastahr, Oct 16, 2022.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

11 position players that are not catcher.

Altuve, Bregman, Pena, McCormick, Tucker, Alvarez. Hensley has all but earned a spot.

That leaves 4 spots.

You want Brantley, Yuli, and Diaz to come back leaving just 1 player brought in to upgrade the lineup?

I like all 3 of them and thank them for their service to the team but the team is weaker next year if all 3 return.

Wulaw Horn and No Worries like this.
  2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Maybe Koree lee or Diaz at c?

3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think brantley hitting 2nd would still set up yordan, bregs, and tucker for rbi possibilities. If he was healthy this year, our offense would have been better

red5rocket likes this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

There is no doubt that a healthy Brantley would be welcome now but I think Pena has cemented his position as the #2 hitter.

The lineup is now set for 2023 1-5.

Maybe if Brantley is signed to a very affordable deal to platoon with Chas ( splitting DH and LF w/ Yordan vs RHP) then he can hit 2nd vs RHP white Pena hits lower in the order.

red5rocket, eliefor3 and No Worries like this.
  5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’d like too keep JV, Montero, Gurriel or Diaz as a reserve & Brantley as the primary DH.

Hoping we can land Abreu or Bell at 1B. Urquidy, Dubon are probably dealt.

2023:

C: (2) Maldonado, Lee or Diaz

IF: (6) Abreu or Bell, Altuve, Bregman, Pena, Gurriel or Diaz, Hensley or Dubon, etc.

OF: (5) Tucker, McCormick, Alvarez, Brantley, Meyers or Leon

SP: (5) JV, Valdez, McCullers, Brown, Garcia or Javier

RP (8) Pressly, Stanek, Montero, Neris, Abreu, S. Martinez, Maton, Garcia or Javier

pariah likes this.
  6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

If we are thinking 3-4 years out, then we need to develop the next crop of homegrown youth. Pedro Leon, Yainer Diaz, Forrest Whitley, Korey Lee, and Justin Dirden all need to get strong, extended looks next year.

We should also consider making a trade to pave the way for Hunter Brown to be a top 5 starting pitcher. Or even, gasp, not re-signing Verlander. We would still be STACKED at starting pitcher with a rotation of Framber, McCullers, Javier, Luis Garcia, and Hunter Brown. That's an amazing staff and very young. Use the $30+ million savings on Verlander to bring in a high impact CF or 1B.

Phillyrocket and Wulaw Horn like this.
  7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Who is available via TRADE from a team looking for a tear-down? We have a history of trading for top players ahead of their FA years rather than over pay when they reach FA.

Verlander 2017
    Cole 2018
    Greinke late 2018

Brantley is about the highest value ($16M/yr - 2 years) FA we have signed from outside the organization in quite a while.

#27 Marshall Bryant, Oct 17, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  8. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Am I the only one that doesn't really want Brantley bwck next year? I love him (even before he was an Astro) but I don't see the fit. He is strickly a LF (and of course DH) but can't play anywhere else (would like to see maybe 1B). He has slowed in the OF and not sure I would trust him in any big LF parks. He doesn't offer much power, though he does offer up some doubles. I would have to look at his bat speed and see if there is a decrease there before resigning him. I do like the lhb but not sure where to put him in the lineup as Pena is the 2 now. Just not sure for the money if it is worth it. Leadership does help his case.

I am also not sure about Guriel. When was the last time he played somewhere besides 1B, and can he be effective there? If he isn't your starting 1B not sure he is really a utility guy any more.

I don't mind Click (I think his last draft was solid and better than Luhows last few-see Kessinger).

Don't want Baker back (he has followed me around too much - Chicago, Cincinnati and now Houston), has always been one of my least favorite managers.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. solid

solid Contributing Member

I absolutely love Brantley and want him back. He is pure class and a reliable hitter.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would not mind him back but prefer not.

If he is a platoon/bench bat and the team still brings in a 1B who can hit 6th to protect Tucker and lengthen the lineup I would be fine.

If the team resigns him INSTEAD of that I will be disappointed.

If both he and Yuli are back I think it hurts the team's productivity next year.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think you bring brantley back and sign Josh bell. Brantley is a DH/LF to go along with yordan. Also need Pedro Leon to take over CF. Hopefully that works.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Not sure how you could watch that 18 inning game when the whole team was trying to hit a ball out and not want Brantley back. Brantley works at bats, gets on base, and doesn't strike out much. The Astros have been missing some of that this year.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I gotta say, I don't recall thinking of Brantley in regards to how the Astros were batting during the 18-inning game. I want Brantley back, even if Yordan has to play LF, but the 18-inning game is not a big deciding factor for me.

14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It'd be a value play. If he got close to a full season of AB's he would have been worth over 2 fWAR last year, and that's including a known injury he played through until he couldn't any further. Put another way, he was still worth 127 wRC+ in his limited time despite being injured.

I dunno how much power to expect from him coming back from injury but depending on the number they could definitely get value from him on say a 2/$20-24m contract.

Hard to imagine the Stros couldn't do something with another high average/high OBP guy in the line up.

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Though not a left handed bat, which give Brantley an edge on close calls, Hensley has shown the same plate discipline in his limited opportunities. His utility is in the infield rather than the OF.

To sustain success, there has to be some turnover in the line-up and opportunity for prospects. There is some difference between bringing back a 36 year old (Brantley) and a 39 year old (Gurriel). There also appears to be a significant difference between a 39 year old hitter and a 39 year old Pitcher.

But I'm sure exceptions will be noted by my "fan" club.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

There are 13 position players on the 26 man active roster.

Maldy, b/u catcher, Altuve, Bregman, Pena, Yordan, Chas, Tucker, and Hensley have all earned spots leaving 4 spots.

1B and CF are the holes.

I think the Astros should let Meyers and Leon compete for CF and bring in an established 1B who can hit 6th behind Tucker.

Meyers: instinctive CF with plus speed who gets great jumps and catches everything and makes 5 star catches. Below average arm that can be exploited by baserunners. Slightly above average bat when healthy who should provide 25 hr power and have plus baserunning value despite not being a base stealer.

Leon: Toolsy player who uses speed to make up for not having good CF instincts. Will make spectacular plays but also not get to some marginal flies that most CF would because of bad routes or lack of a good jump. Tremendous arm that should eliminate extra bases taken. Plus power and speed with 30-30 ceiling and will take walks but will strike out often and never hit for average.

Which would you prefer?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I want to stick with Pena hitting second.

Love Verlander but it's time to use that money elsewhere.

Valdez
    McCullers
    Brown
    Urquidy
    Garcia
    Javier

6 legit starting options.

18. xcrunner51

I think Verlander makes the decision clear one way or another the next 1-2 series. If he repeats his game 1 ALDS performance then it'll be much easier to let him go.

I don't have a lot of faith that the rotation will be as healthy next year as it was this year. Just so unlikely.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I actually go the other way.

JV is a generational player way more than just talent and on field performance.

He brings in fans and will give reasons (milestones) for fans to pay attention watch games and spend money.

He also is a leader within the team not to mention still better than the other 6 (for now)

I want him to move up MLB all time leaderboards and enter the HOF in an Astros hat which will require him to be an Astro for a few more seasons.

That said having 7 starting pitchers is a problem.

If they bring him back (which I think they do) they need to trade away one of the other starters.

In order of preference and likelihood

Garcia
    Urquidy
    Brown
    Javier
    Framber ( most hated thought)
    McCullers ( least likely due to contract)

Hopefully one of the top 2 are traded then we are having this same conversation next year because of Murray and/or Whitley.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  20. xcrunner51

Can't imagine Murray or Whitley are anywhere on the radar right now. Whitley isn't healthy/good enough to even contend for a bullpen spot at this point. Murray's upside is probably what Urquidy is already doing.