1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Move Green to PG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We have done some good in developing KPJ. He is a skilled player with a ton of potential. He is on a good contract. He has by all accounts continued to grow as a person.

KPJ is not a pg and needs to be on the ball less. Green needs to take over as primary pg handling the ball. Green has an equal handle at this point and is rapidly tightening there. Green (unlike Porter) can beat his man with a first step.

Green needs these reps for growth. Green has a higher BBIQ and has looked the more dynamic passer this year. KPJ needs to spot up or attack off of a pass more. His selfishness and sloppinesss are starting to stick out.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Or we just acquire an actual pass first guard and let Jalen cook

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Let Green do it fo rest of year. Maybe he improves. Maybe we look at Smith or Henderson in draft. KPJ is not the guy for pg.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lol, knew this thread would be here.

DD

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Can’t hurt I guess. This way at least he gets more touches. He has better court vision and more willingness to pass to open teammates anyway.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He’s absolutely not ready to be the teams lead playmaker right now.

We have a small dilemma with Jalen long term, he’s currently the size of a PG (not sure how much he can bulk up), yet he doesn’t have the playmaking skills. Therefor it’s best if our lead playmaker can defend bigger positions. Enter KPJ and why the org would love him to fill that role

I honestly think we should make Sengun the lead playmaker or “PG” amongst all the guys we have right now

We should kick the tires on a stop gap backup PG just to help, regardless of the poor defensive fit. Rondo? Elfrid Payton? Tim Fraizer?

RudyTBag and HP3 like this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

KPJ isn’t the problem.

Sonicbun8, Plowman and HP3 like this.
  8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Because it is obvious. I'm not saying JG4 is the next Harden. I am saying that the the 2022-2023 Rockets benefit by them swapping roles. Future years likely benefit one way or the other as well.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  9. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Huh? Aren’t Green and KPJ of the same height?

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He’s not the answer as the starting point guard/facilitator either.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He's 6'5". Did you see how much he towered over Alverado?

He has the ability to collapse defenses. That means eventually he will be able to play make. We literally saw it in many plays today where he made advanced dribble moves in traffic and dished it out. I don't know what you saw tonight that didn't make you hopeful he can be a lead ball handler. Making stupid passes is the nature of 20 year old guards especially ones that aren't getting the reps to be the lead ball handler.

12. xaos

xaos Member

As a person who believes in Green a ton this could do more harm than good. Green is not and never will be a point gaurd. The best version of Green is an unstoppable scorer who can also pass out of the attention that he draws. I don't think a pass first pg is the only option either. We just need to fundamentally change how we play. Get the ball up the court early and move the ball from end to end. People get frustrated with players not cutting but when the ball isn't moving bodies don't move.

albuster, maj21 and clutchdabear like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Porter has 20 pounds of muscle on Green

Gordon is shorter then Green, he’s literally 60 pounds heavier, it’s not just height it’s frame, weight, strength, length.

Green is currently built like Curry with an extra 2 inches of height, he’s only 20 and can put on muscle so we’ll see but it’s looking like it would be best if Houston could find a larger playmaker to pair with him

HP3 and Corrosion like this.
  14. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL... KPJ can't defend bigger guards, hell tonight he couldn't defend smaller ones either. Alvarado cooked him. KPJ has the benefit of a few extra years of weight training and muscle but I already prefer Jalen's defense to his. Jalen's defense on CJ was pretty could tonight so I don't get your defensive argument. And definitely don't think the org has a dilemma when it comes to Jalen, he's one of the few players I'm sure is in the orgs plans for the future... KPJ... his contract says it all.

With that being said, I don't think Jalen is ready, nor is he the answer at PG IMO. Would rather see him used the way he is now, just with a better system and player at point looking to get others involved.

albuster and clutchdabear like this.
  15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Gordon is older and has more pre-season of weights in him

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Gordon came into the league 40 pounds heavier compared to Jalen, KPJ came in 35 pounds heavier, Green has a particularly small frame guys

Corrosion likes this.
  17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

problem is that fans are treating the style of play as if it is the PG runs it all. That is not the style we play. It is actually Sengun they want to play through in the offence. Porter Jnr brings it up and tries to get it to Sengun. People think we have a style like when Harden created everyone's shot, but it isn't. Porter Jnr and Green will share it between them as well.

Plowman and HD729 like this.
  18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Different builds and frame

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  19. Denovo

Denovo Member

No lol. We need an actual point guard.

Hopefully Scoot Henderson walks through that door.

We can’t start 3 shooting guards and expect to have success.

Streakshooter and corrado like this.
  20. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

I wouldn't exactly call Scoot an actual point guard either. I still want him. I think guys will play better because of him but he's a SG in a PG's body which is fine.

HD729 likes this.