1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mount Rushmored in Houston Sports

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Bobblehead, Jan 27, 2008.

1. MadMax

MadMax Member

hmmm...i guess i have different criteria for my Mt. Rushmore of Houston Sports.

I love VY, but if he plays his career in Tennessee I don't think he belongs on the hypothetical Houston Rushmore.

I don't Roger does either. His best years were elsewhere, despite the success the franchise had here. But for 20 years, day in and day out, Biggio was in the lineup moving towards 3,000 hits for a career. He was an all star and gold glover at multiple positions. Success and longevity in Houston are what I would be concerned with...not merely whether someone was born here.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yes, he was merely born heren and didn't play nine years here.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What about Roger?

And the question doesn't say specifically who is Mr. Houston who was born and raised in Houston.

4. MadMax

MadMax Member

no, you're right. he played 9 years here, too. i'm not trying to minimize that.

i realize it's all hypothetical and we would have different criteria. to me, the fact that biggio was so successful and actually took less to stay, becoming the face of the franchise for 20 years of service is more indicative of the sort of career that would make it on this hypothetical rushmore.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm pretty sure MadMax knows Nolan Ryan played here.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

roger didn't play nine years, or even the most years of any team here.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

and I'm pretty sure you'll answer for him

8. msn

msn Member

But the question here is Houston sports. Max said it well--Nolie wasn't even the best pitcher on the Astros for some of his tenure here.

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

yeah..but this isn't like hakeem where he played forever here and then did a victory lap in toronto.

you're talking about a guy who played 5 years in NY...8 years in anaheim...9 years in houston...and 5 years in arlington. he went into the HOF with a Rangers hat on. i just have a hard time comparing that to what we had with biggio.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

but he was still nolan in his prime and he pitched in two playoff series, and he got no hitters here. you guys are acting like he was a washed up version of himself.

11. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I was referring to the fact he spelled Nolan's name as Nolen.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, in this purely hypothetical scenario in which you've chosen to become confrontational, what is your standard for how many years a player that is born in the Houston area, must play for a Houston team before he can be considered for engravement? It's somewhere between 3 and 9 I take it.

Hakeem's from Africa, so he's out, right?

13. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I guess you didn't read my entire post. Whitley made my Mt. Rushmore for Houston College athletes along with Ware, Carl Lewis and Akeem.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And I'm pretty sure you'll be a douche about it.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so its no confrontational to disagree? as far as you answering for madmax, i'm sorry, it just gets tiring watching you tag team people with him. my response to max was a legitimate, non confrontational response to his post, and you had to come in with the smart ass "i'm sure max knows blah blah blah." get over yourself

as far as the debate is concerned, i didn't know there was a set criteria for a mt rushmore of sports.

16. msn

msn Member

No, I'm not. (and he only got one no-no it Houston)

In his prime, in Houston, he was like 108-96. He played on some bad, bad teams (not his fault). It was truly special to watch him pitch.

But he had already made his HoF hay in Los Angeles (or Anaheim, or CA, or SoCal, or whatever you want to call that place). Then he put the icing on the cake in Arlington. The most remarkable achievements in Nolan's career were in SoCal and in Arlington, not in Houston--good as he was while he was here.

17. MadMax

MadMax Member

no..not washed up at all! very effective. i think his better years were in anaheim...and his landmark years were in arlington, though.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, you being a smartass to MadMax was not being confrontational at all. Of all the people that needs to get over themselves, you'd be the first one on that Mt. Rushmore.

19. MadMax

MadMax Member

i'm not trying to tag team anyone, pgabriel.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

considering he played with houston for nine years, considering he's a baseball legend, considering he holds two substantial records strikeouts and no hitters, he's on my list. feel free to disagree. I understand that biggio is mr. astro, I don't disagree with that, but to me that isn't the question. if you want to make that type of argument, to me warren moon would be ahead of earl campbell. but warren moon piled up a bunch of stats, while earl was a legend. that's the difference to me.