1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mount Rushmored in Houston Sports

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Bobblehead, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Earl, Hakeem, Bagwell, Biggio.

Nobody meant more to the sports landscape of the city than those 4 guys.

I know Hakeem doesn't like that sort of thing but this is supposed to be a hypothetical, right? Nolan would be there if not for McMullen letting him go. Drexler is great, but his best years were with Portland.

Does Carl Lewis even acknowledge being from Houston? Same with George Foreman. We all know they're from Houston, but does anybody else?

And with all due respect to Wilson Whitley, if you have to google him, he probably shouldn't be on the list. :)

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

Lewis is from Birmingham. He came to UH specifically for our track program, which subsequently helped him become the world's most accomplished olympic athlete ever. (and had it not been for the olympic boycott.. he'd be even MORE accomplished..) So its a toss up. Guy isn't from here, but we have every right to claim him, and he supports the UH community too.

Wilson Whitley is probably the best defensive football player to ever play in Houston, amateur or pro. Maybe Mario will finally take that title soon!

Drexler did do most of his killin' in Portland, but when you add in his UH days to his 1995 cindarella story.. along with the fact he's an original Houstonian (and still an active one in the sports community too).. it makes his argument pretty solid.

Its funny to see people putting Hakeem/Drexler and some people putting Biggio/Bagwell... you can kind of see the line in the sand there between the baseball and non-baseball fans :)

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no way I put bagwell or biggio over nolan. the only thing they have on him as astros is longevity.

4. texanskan

texanskan Member

The Houston 34s

Dream
    Earl

those two are no brainers that should be on everyones list

Nolan

pretty close to a lock as well

last one is between

Biggio/Big George/Carl Lewis

5. msn

msn Member

...and playoff series victories.

Funny that no one has mentioned Mary Lou Rhetton (ducks and grins). :D

It's hard to narrow down to four!

Guy V. (put him in hall NOW)
    Earl
    Bagwell (dominated for a decade, our only baseball MVP)
    Biggio
    Hakeem (I respect him, but this is only hypothetical)
    George Foreman
    Carl Lewis
    Rhetton (Olympics is Olympics, after all)

Drexler's great and all, but he just didn't have the longevity playing in Houston. I'd put Malone in over Drexler.
    Also, I realize I oughtta have only one of Bagwell/Biggio, but I couldn't decide.

What if each major sport in Houston had its own Rushmore, with a fourth category for Olympics/individual sports?
    <table><tr><td><b>Baseball</td><td rowspan=5>&nbsp;</td><td><b>Basketball</td><td rowspan=5>&nbsp;</td>
    <td><b>Football</td><td rowspan=5>&nbsp;</td><td><b>Other</td></tr><tr><td>Bagwell</td><td>Hakeem</td><td>Earl</td><td>Carl Lewis</td></tr><tr><td>Biggio</td><td>Rudy T.</td><td>Bum</td><td>Foreman</td></tr><tr><td>Ryan</td><td>Guy V.</td><td>Moon</td><td>Rhetton</td></tr><tr><td>Dierker</td><td>Malone</td><td>Matthews</td><td>?</td></tr></table>

...I almost put Hofheinz in that fourth baseball slot.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

individual accomplishments, not even close. bagwell/biggio have benefit of playing in wild card era.

7. msn

msn Member

How many years did Nolie play in Houston? And, in what city were his best MLB years played?

Look, I don't think Bagwell and Biggio are more iconic, or even *as* iconic, than Nolan in terms of baseball. But they meant just as much, and possibly more, to Houston while they were here--and they played their entire careers here. Also, Bags would have to be the homerun king all time to compare with Nolan's accomplishment--over his career. 2/3 of Nolan's career was play elsewhere. Biggio has more doubles than any right-handed hitter in MLB history. That has to count for something.

It's an interesting discussion is all. I see where you're coming from. I was as excited as anyone in '80, and every time Nolie took the mound.

8. Poloshirtbandit

If you wanna go that route, I'd add Larry Dierker too. I know he didn't do too well in the playoffs, but I don't think I've ever seen a Houston coach that was more popular (maybe Bum Phillips? I'm not old enough to remember that).

9. msn

msn Member

Bum was FARRRR more popular than Dierk. Unquestionably. And that's not a knock on Dierk. Bum was a freaking rock star here. And, to some extent, still is with the older crowd.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

great choices

11. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I didn't have to google Whitley. I'm a UH alum who know my Houston sports history. He's a College FB HOF'er and was All-American and won the Lombardi Award as well.

12. yobod

yobod Member

This.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Nope. This is going to be the premiere feature at the new Disney World they're building out in Katy.

My picks:

Hakeem
    Biggio
    Earl
    Bagwell

In five years, I would replace Earl with Yao. Bagwell with Mario. :)

14. Buck Turgidson

First a Berryhill's, now this? Damn, Katy is where it's at these days.

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Nolen > those two. It's not even close to me. Nolen is a true Texas legend.

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

C'mon now. It's Nolan. Houston fan's should know that.

17. msn

msn Member

So legendary, in fact, that you can't even spell his name. :D

Biggio played twice as many years in Houston as Nolan. I'm just sayin'.

As far as Texas legends, there's another fireballer from the Houston area with more strikeouts than almost everyone in MLB history and a much better W/L and ERA than Nolie. Clearly a better pitcher. Spent a few seasons with the Astros, as well. How come no one's arguing for him? He got the Astros to freaking World Series *and* won a Cy Young. In just three seasons, he eclipsed Ryan in every accomplishment but cumulative numbers, and those only because he was only here three seasons.

Nolie is obviously dearer to the hearts of many Astros fans than the other, but it still bears mentioning.

While Nolan was in Houston, he led the league in K's a few times, lost almost as many games as he won, lost two NLCS, and was part of a very up-and-down team. (In fact, one of the reasons Nolan's so dear to us is there's not much else to hold on to from the 80s: Scottie, Ryan, Cruz, and a few little flashes like Thon or Davis (who irritated the hell out of me with all his week pop-ups).)

While Bags and Bidge were in Houston, they went on a playoff run of 7 out of 9 seasons, two NLCS and one WS berth. It is a valid argument that the playoffs were easier to make in the WC era--but it is equally valid that the WS is more difficult to get to for those that get in. They stayed with their team for 17 and 20 years, respectively, and put up numbers that, like Nolan in the '80s, stacked up against the best of the best in both leagues year-in and year-out.

And when they make the Hall (yeah, Bags is doubtful, but he deserves it if Thomas does), they will be wearing Astros caps. And their best years were in Houston, not Los Angeles.

Just the other side of the argument. I don't in the least expect you to agree; as I see where you're coming from.

18. MadMax

MadMax Member

Nolan spent about 1/3 of his career here. In that time he was not always the best pitcher on the team.

Biggio was here for 20 years. He took less money to stay here. You can argue that his decision to stay in 95/96 helped keep the 'stros here as a franchise.

I've been here all my life. Been rooting for the 'stros since I can remember. I'd put Biggio up there before I'd put Nolan up there and wouldn't think twice about it. Biggio is Mr. Astro.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the question isn't who is mr. franchise of their sports. nolan ryan is a baseball legend who spent the most time of any teams in houston, is from the houston area. he's a baseball icon, while mr. astro is merely an astro icon,

not close

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I get that. I'm a Coog fan too, although I didn't go there. I just don't know if the average Houstonian (who didn't go to UH) is going to know right away who he is. Pretty much everyone knows who Earl, Hakeem, Bagwell, and Biggio are.

All four of these guys are HOF'ers who played the majority, if not all of their long careers in Houston. Only reason I put both Bagwell and Biggio on there is because they both played their entire careers here.