1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mother's Day responsibilities?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dave_78, May 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Am I supposed to buy my girlfriend a gift or take her to dinner for Mother's Day since she has kids (that are not mine)? That makes absolutely no sense to me as I assumed the holiday is between moms and their kids but the word on the street is that I'm wrong on this one.

2. YaosDirtyStache

Take her kids out and make them call you DAD after that day is over, while your girlfriend knits on the couch in tears!! And bring her a generic card but write nothing inside of it!

3. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I don't think you have to...although I think a nice dinner for her would be appreciated. I wouldn't buy any gifts though.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I agree with you whole-heartedly and I have told finalsbound I will never get her anything for mother's day because she ain't my mother.

However, society expects you to get her something, as if her birthday, christmas, valentine's day, arbor day, Kwanzaa, Marilyn Monroe's Birthday, her mom's birthday, Easter, and YOUR ****ING ANNIVERSARY AREN'T ENOUGH PRESENTS IN THE YEAR ALREADY!

Sorry mate, this really grinds my gears.

5. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

I think you should acknowledge her as a mother - it's a day for mothers, not just for your mother.

However, I think saying "Happy Mother's Day" or giving a card is sufficient. Save the "real" mother's day gift for YOUR mother.

Make sense?

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This is a solid rant and could have easily been the second paragraph in my OP.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Mother's Day is a day for your own personal mom. Not everyone else's mom. If i have kids, that doesn't make me a Mom worshipper all over again.

I don't like these gender roles, they degrade our true natural selves and mechanize us into soulless DROIDS.

I heard this ad today that said "Remember Dad, its your responsibility to get the Mother's Day gift from the kids, so be sure to stop by our stupid jewelry store and get low low prices!"

Seriously wtf.

1 person likes this.
  8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So to a mother of young children who don't understand the concept of Mother's Day or don't really know how much they should appreciate their mom, it's just a normal day?

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

I absolutely do something for my wife on mother's day. Not because she is my mother, but because she is the mother of my child. Mother's day is to honor mothers and show love/thanks/appreciation. She doesn't have to be my mother for me to show that on a day that is meant for her.

My wife made huge sacrifices and went through a lot of emotional (multiple miscarriages), physical (bed rest for 6 months) and professional (she did not work for 2-3 years to spend as much time with my son as possible) to have our son. Gee, maybe it is just me, but if that is not worth at least a card and gift, I don't know what is.

10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

don't worry, the thadeus will get her a present.

11. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

You introduce yourself in the 3rd person?
    :rolleyes:
    Wow!

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Went to my favorite place to eat for lunch yesterday (Zaxby's) and the woman who always waits on me (or so it seems) was asking what I was doing for Mother's Day. Told her that we wouldn't be eating at Zaxby's (we eat there every Sunday) but at another place out of town. She understood and then asked if I had gotten her a gift. I told her I had but it was coming from my kids. She and another person that worked there both admitted and laughed that Mother's Day is another one of these holidays (like Valentine's Day) where the man is expected to get a gift for his woman even though logically it doesn't really make that much sense. It is just that society and the retail industry has forced those expectations on us men. And then of course, they both said that even though they know the truth about it, that they did NOT want to hear that from their spouses/boyfriends. :rolleyes: :grin:

13. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

you need to recognize, son

statistically speaking, the odds are more likely than not the thadeus is your father

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Just get her a card or something. She is a mother.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The catch is young kids do not have money or purchasing power to get their mom anything. A preschool kid can only give their mom a cute sloppy hug and kiss. Though mom appreciates, her expectation level might be higher.

In the old days kids would have gotten allowance money from father the sole breadwinner. So why go from dad to kids to mom? Just dad straight contributes to mom cutting out the middle. Thats probably why its on the guy. Or else it'd be Mother's Day is when the kid is 16+ and old enough to work to get something for mom.

16. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:grin: :cool:

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

To update you on things, Mr The Thadeus has created "March 14th" as the equalizer to this. Not that HE needed it, but he wanted to ensure all men get their groove-on and rewarded for their efforts

18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Quit with your insolence you fool. The thadeus will ban you and simultaneously ravish your mother. Not only on Mother's Day, but on Father's Day as well.

19. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Our society encourages all the above due to our extreme consumerism. Whether it's buying cards from Hallmark or going to a restaurant for dinner, serious players in our economy want these gender roles to be fixed, and so they rely on brilliant advertising campaigns as well as peer pressure to get you to conform.

20. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Happy Mother's Day Clutchfans!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wENN_-SfLN4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wENN_-SfLN4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>