1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Surprising Pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Jun 23, 2022.

?

Surprise!

1. Jabari #1 prospect at #3

80.2%
  2. Eason Available at #17

6.3%
  3. Tyty at #29 + picks

13.5%
  1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Orlando taking Jabari was a forgone conclusion until 6:55pm cst. People wanted to trade up for Eason. Tyty mocked all over the internet at 17.

Who shocked you the most?

13 in 33, kjayp and apollo33 like this.
  2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Obviously Smith.

i3artow i3aller and ThatBoyNick like this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Only "dropped" 2 selections tho

roslolian likes this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

Smith surprised me the most for sure. When I first saw the order of the draft I thought Orlando should pick Banchero even though I had Smith #1 on my board. It worked out perfect for me.

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Still shook me to my core, though.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  6. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I had a feeling that Smith would drop to three, if only because of those warning us about other teams putting up smoke screens for the last few months.
    That and I personally had Paolo and Holmgren above him.

I thought Eason would last no longer than 12. 6' 8" with a 7' 2" wingspan at worst gives us the sting bean D-Wing we've been looking for since the days of Ariza and Luc M'Bah Moute.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yup this question isn't worthy of a thread lol

Smith was touted as the #1 for MONTHS, every source was saying Magic were locked on Jabari since they won the lottery.

Paolo himself said he only found out 20 seconds before he was taken, and his manager only knew something was strange just 5 minutes before the draft. You could see how shocked Paolo was, his mind was locked on Houston for a very long time, its a mind ****.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jabari Smith…the other options aren’t even close

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I never thought Smith as a consensus number 1. Chet was the closest to one in my opinion.
    I'm wasn't surprised that Jabari fell to 3. I sorta expected it. I was surprised that Paolo went at number 1. He's a good fit for the Magic. I expected Chet to be the number 1 pick.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't really get it - like what did Orlando have to gain by going all in on Jabari, not even working out Banchero, and then deciding on Banchero at the last second?

Just seems weird - not that im mad about it. They literally had nothing to gain - it's not like anybody was moving up to the 0th pick.

I mean i guess you can argue they were trying to trick the Rockets into trading up, but, if so they made it too tricky bc Smith didn't even meet with Houston.

Seems like they just had some weird last second change of heart

Pistol Pete likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

There are 2 possibilities

1. They thought either Hou/OKC would value Smith Jr as the #1, were waiting for an offer so they could cash in and draft Paolo 2/3

2. They legitimately were all on Jabari the whole time, got cold feet last second.

I think the draft shaked out how it was supposed to. I think Paolo and Chet were superior prospects and that rightfully got taken ahead of Jabari. Magic likely made the correct instinctual last-minute decision to go with PB.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I really think Orlando tried to get Houston to Trade up so they could take Jabari at three and get more assets and the Rockets called their bluff.

Probably figured the Rockets were too in love with Paolo and would trade for him even after the fact.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

TyTy lasting to #29

jcmoon, zeeshan2, Dubious and 2 others like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

The correct answer is Tyty at 29.

There was always a chance we end up with Jabari, I mean it is a low chance but the possibility is there.

Who the hell predicted Tyty would be there at 29+you will get 2 FRPs to take him? Name me one mock who had Tyty at 29 or lower lol.

jcmoon, Dankstronaut and rhee like this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Personally I always thought Jabari would be a Rocket if Orl took Banchero. Pretty sure both Presti and Stone had Chet no 1.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think its 2. If they wanted to tempt the Rockets to Smith they didn't do a good job of it since apparently he didn't even meet with them?

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  17. Rokman

Rokman Member

Whats moat surprising to me is we went from having the 3, 17 and 26 picks in the draft to what most believe we're the 1, 11 and 20 picks in the draft on average. Rockets CRUSHED this draft. On par with the 2021 draft!!

jcmoon, Dubious and rhee like this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

The top 3 could've fallen 10 different ways in 10 different drafts. Honestly wasn't that surprising to me. Orl needed a #1 option and Paolo was there.
    Too bad Worrell is gone, we'd definitely get a "Three-son" call. Shades of A-three-za!
    Agreed. A ton of mocks had him at 17 and people are saying he could've been a lottery pick without the injury. Slipping 2 spots in a 3 man draft is basically exactly what everyone said could happen. Couple of trade ups for centers and other wings landed Eason right at 17, that was fairly surprising to me given how much D-rock and the gang were gassing him up. But Tyty at 29? Plus assets?? That's a huge drop and reveal.

The question I suppose...what we got vs. what I think most wanted?

Smith, Eason, Washington, 2 2nds vs. Banchero, Eason, Moore

zeeshan2 and roslolian like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Draftniks get reminded that they are not on GM levels! Even WOJ was humbled. No market for Eason in the lottery. TyTy drops. Most of the draft went opposite of rumor and plenty of movement between teams. As entertaining a draft as I can remember.

Jabari dropping by default in this case would be the big surprise for Houston, but same could be said about Eason and Washington. Stone picks up more assets while still selecting from the top of his board. Excellent management.

roslolian likes this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

There's a pre draft conference of the Magic's GM (1-2 days prior).

Somebody asked how close to draft night would he know for sure.

I'm too lazy to link it but essentially he said: 'until the very end'. Their draft process is that they were open to any or all info at the very final minutes. When I heard it, it seemed he was very sincere.

I think it was a very close call for them. The Vegas odds started dropping a day or two prior. Then when it hit negative, Mr. Woods creates that thread on the eve of the draft. So answer on the switch is likely few days ago.

Jabari would have helped their spacing since they have none. But Mosley think some of their guys probably might still not hit their relatively open shots, in which case maybe Paolo's passing might help unlock their projects.

In their post draft conference, the attribute 'passing' was bought up a few times.

Are Fultz and Suggs busts? Paolo is there to subsidize them. Which is an optimistic take... maybe. The pessimistic take is Paolo ends up being collateral if their system doesn't work out.

I'd take the guy who fits the modern NBA archetype any day.

#20 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022