1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Sensitive Race?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Tree-Mac, Aug 27, 2013.

Tags:
?

What do you think?

1. Black

96 vote(s)
    68.6%
  2. White

29 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Yellow

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Brown

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Red

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I agree with you on that point.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. Thank goodness the black community is one that most definitely puts a value on education. The black community overwhelmingly votes for candidates that vote for spending on education programs.

They vote for candidates that have been community organizers who bring education to the communities that are in the most need. They vote against candidates like Palin who mock that kind of effort.

The black community has continued to support the community organizers who work hard to bring a meaningful education component to the impoverished communities that will benefit most from education.

I only wish some of the conservative politicians would show they value education as much as black leaders and community organizers have been doing for a long time.

3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

There are many conservative politicians who value education and support reform. They just don't think throwing money does anything to help. There are a lot more variables in education that $$$. The biggest problem is that the money doesn't usually get to the classroom. Administration is way too big. In many districts there is a 1:1 ration of teachers to non-teachers (admins).

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

It is Formula One.

One misstep could lead to death potentially.

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I agree that money isn't the only solution, and that sometimes money doesn't get to the classroom and the students that need it. But many schools are lacking supplies they need.

Not only that it's universities and pell grants and other things dealing with education that many conservatives are more than willing to cut. They've also wanted to cut out head starts and pre-school programs even though we know that children that go to pre-school are four times as likely to earn a college degree.

Conservatives like Palin and Rudy also mocked the idea of community organizing which often takes a hands on approach to bringing education to the poorest communities.

These pro-education policies are heavily supported by the black community.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

no I mean parents valuing education and blacks not claiming that doing well in school is "acting white". Not having elected politicians throw money at the problem, which many would say doesn't work.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

http://www.timwise.org/2013/08/defl...rica-and-the-facts-to-counter-them/#more-3470

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

^^

Would you say that blacks value education as much as Asians or Indians?

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Palin is a nut, lol. She is one of those, let me teach my kids everything, we don't need the government for anything, government paranoia nut.

I for one support Head Start, KIP, and other similar programs, and would support expanding the school day, the rigor of courses, and reducing vacations.

The black community is affected by education much more than any other community it seems. Kids go to school for what, 7 hrs? What do they do when they get home? They sit and watch TV. Parents HAVE to be involved for a child to be successful, because they spend more time out of school, than in it. Unfortunately, about 67% of black children live in single-parent households. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a single mother/father to provide for their children AND be involved in their children's life. I don't know why it affects minority families the most, maybe someone can shed some light on that for me, but whites are the least affected with only 23% being single-parents households.

I don't know anyone who is anti-education. My job requires that I go to a lot of community meetings, a lot of candidate forums, and I see plenty of non-blacks asking questions about education, and a lot of candidates addressing education.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I've never heard known anyone that was told they were acting white specifically because they excelled in school and pursued a higher education. That distinction was given to those that had an interest in recreational activities more commonly associated with whites.

Actually, the only time my blackness was ever questioned was by other races. My guess is the definition of black culture to other races is formed by stereotypes.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This is because black subculture was developed at a time when they had to cope with being shut out of any educational institutions or professional opportunities of any kind, while also being anthropologically quarantined by the rest of society. Other immigrant groups that came in with similar hardships were able to marry, breed and integrate within the white plurality when blacks were still specifically shut out by legal statute and a growing non-black majority. When blacks were finally given access to the same facilities; whites evacuated larger cities to preserve their networks and educational and professional pipelines. If you want to blame black parents for conditioning their kids against "acting white," you first need to condemn your great grandparents for making that a necessity in the first place, and for next hundred years thereafter.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'll also concede for the sake of balance that sub-Saharan Africa, even when my father left in the '60s was still very much a pre-literate civilization; so blacks were probably already also at a 2,000 year or so disadvantage in terms of literary and academic enrichment. And non-blacks can't really be blamed for that, nor can blacks be disingenuous of it when trying to advance in a non-black society.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not sure it is a competition and if it were I believe the numbers would say Asians are winning, but the idea that black parents don't value education is absurd.

Every decent person wants the same thing as you do for their kids no matter their race.

So I think if you look at what I posted it's clear that black people HAVE been valuing education. Sure it's not the best but I think it would be more than fair considering that the Civil Rights Act was passed only 45 years ago...not even a generation ago.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The black parents are the ones that support the community organizers that work hands on in educating the children. That's far different than just throwing money at the problem.

These black parents are the one's making education a priority in the elections. The conservatives are going against this.

You can fall for the sensationalist good education = acting white if you want, and believe that's representative of the whole race, or you can dig a little deeper.

I would hope you opt to dig deeper and not be so shallow on this issue.

15. amaru

amaru Member

I don't know every african, asian or indian on the planet.......but I can say that in my household and the households near us, school was very important.

My parents made me go to school, especially my mother. To her, school was the 2nd most important thing....2nd only to family. I missed 2 days of school my entire K-12 years.

16. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Well I have many times. It was as big fear of mine growing up because all I liked to do was read and learn, which I didn't fully embrace until recent years. Granted, even many of the non-black kids at my school (the majority) didn't embrace or care for learning more than they needed to, so it wasn't just blacks. But I heard that wanting to excel in school was a "white" way of thinking many times as a child and teenager.

As a matter of fact, it insults me how ignorant and bigoted it sounds in retrospect.

Yep and that need not be forgotten, even if non-blacks (rightfully) get tired of hearing all of the complaining from blacks. It will take more than 50 years (and in reality, about 40 years for many) of equal opportunity to chip into the inequalities and ignorances that some have.

And to add on, the point that has been made in this thread is that black society has been working at a competitive disadvantage since arriving in this country and historically been screwed from succeeding.

Naturally, whites (in general) are going to have more wealth and opportunities and access to education for their children and it's gonna take time for more equality and education to make better balance of it all. Additionally, ALL of us of every race also needs to understand that if there is going to be a rich class, then there is always going to a working and underclass. The problem with blacks in the underclass is that they have an excuse that has some validity (which is different than saying a valid excuse) in how blacks have historically not been given a fair shake. So when they get frustrated about their perception of not being given a fair chance, race is obviously going to be one of if not the first thing they can think of when they vent.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I actually think that's a great point.

Your whole post and this whole thread reminds me of this...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/derzWWYf3-w?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Most fun I've had here in YEARS!
    GREAT!