1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Sensitive Race?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Tree-Mac, Aug 27, 2013.

Tags:
?

What do you think?

1. Black

96 vote(s)
    68.6%
  2. White

29 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Yellow

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Brown

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Red

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually everything I posted about are from studies, so there is proof.

And it shouldn't be about race. Any race should have a desire to have a more equitable system.

Just because there isn't equality for everyone, is no reason not to have that as a goal, and no reason not to point out when those conditions are lacking. It's no reason to not try and improve the situation.

2. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I agree. Poverty plays a huge factor. It's just that when it comes to aspects of society not being fair to black people, it's often brought up that the same is true about impoverished folks in general. Yet when it comes to complaining, and prison rates, then it's not about poverty but it's about race.

I'm not at all saying you are doing that, just that it gets done.

I'm definitely in favor of programs to help the needy. I think battling against poverty helps the poor of every single race.

3. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I haven't seen the underlying evidence that backs up your claims but I would bet a lot of them may have to do with correlation rather than causation.

Anyway, I told you my story earlier. I had the same opportunities that everyone else did in my school including the black kids. My class started out with 1900 kids my freshman year and we dropped to 900 when I graduated. Nobody including the school administration forced those 1000 kids to drop out. You say you want everyone of every race to do their best but is that what people are doing? It seems like people are throwing the race card before they exhaust all the resources available to them. I have no problem striving for equality but let's be real and try to fix what we can with ourselves first.

4. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

I was at my local Wal-Mart browsing the movie section and a group of black kids walked by and I quickly glanced at them for like one tenth of a second then turned back to the movies and one of them said to me "you lookin' at me?" So yea, before clicking this thread, I knew black would be winning.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It seems when it comes to black people that it's just easier to judge them all by the few you meet. So I'm not surprised at the poll results of these forums.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The whites, so sensitive they have oppressed other people since the beginning of time.

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I don't think it's mutually exclusive to try and do the best you can while also striving for a more just society.

8. alexcapone

I can agree with that. But fixing underlying problems in the black community has always taken a backseat. Civil rights leaders have made it mutually exclusive because it's not a revenue generator for them. They can't admit to self-inflicted problems within the black community and blame white people at the same time.

9. joesr

joesr Member

Im playing this online game and I guess I was annoying this dude to the point where he said I was more annoying than a 14 year old Filipino boy.

I thought it was funny since I am part flip and he didnt know.

He was Canadian so I do not know if that plays a factor

10. amaru

amaru Member

Where are you getting this notion from?

There are plenty of black people actively working to make positive changes within their community.

I'm assuming these so called "civil rights leaders" you are referring to are the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.....if that is who you are referring to then I would ask why you are even wasting your time paying attention to ANYTHING those idiots are saying.

Most educated people I know don't waste time acknowledging those fools.

11. alexcapone

You can't bring up problems in the black community because if you do you are either a racist or an Uncle Tom. That conversation has been shut down for many years by the likes of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Just look at how Don Lemon's comments are being received by so many people. You need to have the leaders of the black community bring these issues to the forefront but they have done the opposite for many years. These people have a voice and get airtime. They use it to kick and scream about Paula Deen rather than the murder rate in Chicago.

#111 alexcapone, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Really not sure where that myth keeps coming from. No one is ignoring gang violence, just like no one ignored gang violence in LA years ago.

Just because someone makes a comment here or there about something doesn't mean things like that are being ignored. Usually the ones ignoring it are the ones bringing it up like it's some new thing.

Don Lemon's comments were meh. He basically blamed rap music :rolleyes:

People really need to move away from it being a race problem. That's part of the issue here. This is and always will be a class issue. If you think black people are more violent, lazy, ignorant then maybe you'll think otherwise. When you look at it like that then surprise surprise, the lower classes struggle despite race and the higher classes don't and their children more likely succeed.

The black community IS NOT vastly different from the white community. In fact more white people listen to rap (who many HERE think IS the black community for some insane reason) than black people do.

There really are no vast differences and the problems in the 'black community' often mirror the problems of America as a whole.

Gun violence...check.
    Out of wedlock children...check
    Sending anyone and everyone to prison...check

I'm sorry but again whatever deep culture African-Americans had was taken from them....and their 'culture' is DEEPLY embedded into American culture as a whole. We sitting here acting like Rap music or whatever is the ONLY violent genre of music or art medium here, when it all is violent in America. Nowadays most rap music is just harmless party music any ways.

1 person likes this.
  13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Technically that would probably be blacks, as whites are kinda the Blueberry Gatorade of ethnicities.

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Dude, are you kidding me? "Pop Culture Approved"...:rolleyes:

And in terms of real stories, believe me, the amount of my family members that have been imprisoned, arguably because they were targeted over their race, gives me plenty of stories to tell of sensitivity and dysfunction.

You can read about some of it in February 2014. I'm finally getting this baby published after years of personal revisions. :grin:

Random House Publishing took a risk and purchased my book/portion of the rights.

15. alexcapone

The fact that you reduced Don Lemon's comments to criticism of rap music indicate you probably didn't listen or chose to ignore them. I'll post it here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AOUMEQ2BSng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You say the problems are not being ignored but how often was this discussed in the mainstream media before the Trayvon Martin case? That's why Don Lemon faced so much backlash. For every person that speaks up like Don Lemon there are 10 civil rights activists talking about Paula Deen. If they are addressing the problems like gang violence as much as you say then why is it still so rampant? There is still not enough being done.

And this is not just a class issue. I grew up in the same part of Houston as these people:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/piDDhmt_byk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A lot of people from this area did well for themselves including the producer of that documentary. I believe he went to Harvard. All the kids that took AP classes with me (mostly Asian/white) ended up getting into college and doing well for themselves. Like I said, we all had the same opportunities. Some people were enamored with the lifestyle of gang banging/hustling (mostly black) and others wanted to go to college and do something with their lives. We need to quit making excuses about class and address the underlying problems in the black community (e.g. out of wedlock pregnancy, violent crime, gangs, etc). Pretending like these problems are equally distributed among the sub cultures within this country is not going to help us focus on solving the problem.

16. itstheyear3030

To a certain extent all interracial couples are "pop culture" approved, though that doesn't necessarily translate into real societal approval. Quite the opposite, American society is still generally resistant to interracial relationships.

However, though I disagree with his conclusion (see my earlier post), I agree with his premise that black men & white women and white men & asian women couples are the most often and positively portrayed interracial couples in American media. Do you disagree?

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

There isn't much to his comments. In fact some guy on MSNBC whose name I forget addressed his and O'reily's comments well enough.

So now we judge things on whether the mainstream media covers it or not?

There was a case where a young girl was shot because of that stuff and even Obama talked about it. The media covered it for about a day and moved on.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ey-pendleton-hadiya-pendleton-easter-egg-roll

So it's a race issue? So you believe that black people are just going to gravitate to doing crime and also I guess black parents don't care if their kids succeed right? Black people are just lazy and don't work hard enough. This is basically what you are saying.

Whose pretending? You look at the numbers of things I talked about...all rising.

What sub cultures? You're attributing gang-culture to BLACK culture. That's wrong.

18. alexcapone

With all due respect this is a typical response of a person who will not accept criticism of the black community. You're hearing only what you want to hear from Don Lemon and putting words in my mouth. The Don Lemon clip explains my stance on the issue. You should watch it and you'll probably get more out of it than "rap music is bad".

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I should just accept criticism when it is wrong? Okay then. That's usually how these things go. Someone like Bill O'reily tells you how he's a expert on things and if you don't accept it than that's your problem.

I've listened to the Lemon thing, multiple times. Again most of it is about rap music, he doesn't say so but it's pretty clear. So much so that Russel Simmons took issue with it. The sagging pants, the use of the n-word, etc. In his original talking points. He expanded that whole view of things later to basically be a better person...which is something that applies to everyone and even he said that "It's not just black people." I doubt he'd agree with half of the people here trying to put a entire race into one box.

I'm not hating on Lemon. But I find it funny how many people are cheering him on for doing what a lot of black parents tell their children lol. He really said nothing special or nothing new there. It's funny how the right in particular hangs onto those comments and literally seem to ignore Lemon talking about how prevalent racial profiling is in America like a week before that.

Do you believe all races are equal? If so then explain these problems then? Putting words into your mouth? You showed a video of gang culture and then said that black people you grew up with rather do that then focus on education. You said that Whites and Asians would rather go onto college etc.

I'm just trying to figure out what the issue is here. I mean you guys are being all subtle about it but not really addressing the issue. All I hear is "Black people have babies out of wedlock! Black people commit crimes! Black people don't go to college!" and never any solutions to these problems.

http://www.timwise.org/2013/08/what...le-a-modest-call-for-personal-responsibility/

I'll leave that here.

20. amaru

amaru Member

Wrong.

Again, where are you getting this notion from?

As for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, people who listen to them (whether they agree or disagree give them far too much credit).

Jesse Jackson is an attention w****..when MLK was assassinated, one of the first things Jackson did was wipe some of the blood on his shirt so that he could claim he was next to King when it happened and that King died in his arms....even though he wasn't near King at the time. He did this for fame.......this is the caliber of man we are dealing with. Why you keep mentioning such a fool is beyond me.