1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Sensitive Race?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Tree-Mac, Aug 27, 2013.

Tags:
?

What do you think?

1. Black

96 vote(s)
    68.6%
  2. White

29 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Yellow

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Brown

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Red

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The OP is just sensitive to what black think of him (racist). Get over it. It's all in your head.

LOF, YOF.... RaceOF are the most sensitive

2. itstheyear3030

I don't get what you're saying. How does being "socially approved" affect a biracial person's ability to detect the level of sensitivity in their respective races, assuming, of course, that anyone is capable of accurately doing such a thing (which I highly doubt)?

Are you assuming that because these couples are "socially approved," they face less discrimination, and therefore, their children will have less of a grasp on level of sensitivity? If so, that's an overly simplistic view; there are many complicating factors. For instance, households with Asian dads and white moms have the highest income levels of any mix in the US, including monoracial couples. White men with black women also tend to make more than white women with black men. Surely economic status affects how they perceive race?

Another factor to consider is that a significant number of Asian women in interracial marriages, particularly those who grew up in the US, have self image and insecurity issues about race that they project onto their children, leading their children to become much more sensitive about racial issues. Personally, I've found half-asian children with Asian dads to be more socially well adjusted and less attuned to racial sensitivities.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nothing good ever comes with racism. No matter what races are named, this is still a race baiting thread.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They might be able to achieve anything, but white people are certainly holding them down.

This is the way it is today.

1. If a black person and a white person with the same criminal record get arrested for a crime, the black person will likely do more time in jail.

2. If a black person and a white person with the same credit score apply for a loan, the black person will likely have a higher interest rate.

3. Black people in school are more likely to be incorrectly put into special ed, and incorrectly passed over for gifted and talented programs.

4. If a black person and white person are equally qualified for a job, and the black person has NO criminal record but the white person does have a criminal record, then the white person is still more likely to get a job.

5. If a person's resume has a black sounding name but is the same as a resume with an anglo sounding name, the white person is way more likely to be called in for an interview.

That's the way it is now (and that's just for starters). Not in the past. So the system isn't fair to blacks in our society, but your solution is that if they just by into that system and don't complain, then everything will be just swell. That sounds like the complaints from someone who the system works well for. But it is shown that the system is unfair to others, and to ask them to quietly just buy into that system is ridiculous and perhaps even insulting.

Yes, it's still possible for black people to succeed, but the odds are much more against them than they are for a white person.

5. WNBA

WNBA Member

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

On an individual basis that "solution" actually works pretty well. And number 5 is getting a little tired; there's no reason to assume that resumes are identical enough between white and black applicants for screeners or recruiters to have to make these kinds of binary decisions; too many other factors or criteria and play.

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Actually one of the studies on number 5 it was the exact same resume with only a name change. The Anglo sounding name resume which was identical. It got many more calls than the black sounding name.

So there were actually zero other factors in play. The only factor in play was the resume.

I agree that everyone should try their best. I don't agree that people who have the cards stacked against them should go about it quietly.

But even with the idea that buying into the system and trying to best of one's ability to succeed within that system is is harder to get someone to buy into if they know the cards are stacked against them. It might still be their best shot, but it's a lot tougher sell.

I think rather than complain about complaining, people should put their effort into fixing the problems that the people are complaining about.

#87 FranchiseBlade, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yes; and that's nothing like a realistic recruiting process. You'll rarely have "identical" resumes between candidates of any race; even if you do they won't be reviewed in a close enough sequential order to simulate this study. So the notion that blacks are being shut out or left behind based on recruiting scenarios similar to this one are false.

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

If there's only one variable, it would depend on the sample size. If you did the study enough times, it would be legitimate.

I don't even think it's a matter of HR people wanting to block out black candidates, but perhaps an subconscious reaction to it.

The studies seem to have passed all of the review they needed.

10. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I can try to respond to your assertions and your assumptions of who I am with my personal life experience.

I am not black but 95 percent of people believe that I am black upon meeting me based on my appearance and surname. I'm currently a second year MBA at Rice and one my teammates who I worked with on a daily basis went a whole year believing I was black before I corrected her and most of my classmates still do believe that I'm black.

I grew up in a predominantly black school district with plenty of gangs and violence. I took all AP classes and did multiple extracurricular activities. FYI, AP classes were open enrollment so you couldn't get "passed over". You just had to be committed to doing a ****load of work and studying a lot. I don't believe my upbringing has hindered me at all. In fact, if I went to St John's, Clements, Bellaire or any other so called privilleged white school it would have been 10x more difficult to get into UT business for undergrad. I've never had trouble getting a good job or getting into a good school and I'm no genius...I just busted my ass.

I'm a firm believer that if you work hard, stay out of trouble, present yourself well, go to school, and are ambitious you CANNOT fail…regardless of your skin color, period. But doing those things are all personal choices. I want people of all races to succeed but I don't believe you're doing black people any favors by telling them the odds are stacked against them and white people are out to get them. They are bound to fail if they are engrained with that mentality.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing...I just refinanced my car note on Thursday by shopping around for the lowest rate. The banker saw me face to face and I had no problems at all and got a great deal.

#90 alexcapone, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

For the sake of academic publication; but it has absolutely to resemblance or relevance to recruiting or hiring processes anywhere.

12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

if your soul is "hot buttered," does that make you sensitive? if so, then nothing could be badder assed than that.
    show me a white man throw down like isaac hayes.
    hell, i'm listening to marvin gaye now and he's pretty damned sensitive.
    man card...

...and wrong thread?
    ;)

13. amaru

amaru Member

Are you saying that only U.S. citizens can do this?

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

congrats on the refinance. I'm glad that you work hard and seem to be doing well.

I believe that everyone should work hard, try their best, and give everything they have to fulfill their dreams. I believe they should do that regardless of their race. Like I said there are plenty of examples that show how possible it is.

That doesn't change the fact that the system is still unfair. I think if we worked to fix the system, it will be much less challenging to get people to buy into that system.

15. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

lol, stop crying man. life's not fair, deal with it. With your train of thought, how will you will ever achieve your goals since apparently you're not white? lol

1 person likes this.
  16. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

White people are out of control.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hl5NY2GAyO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Nook

Nook Member

#1 There are way too many factors that can figure into this equation rather than simply race. Finances, level of family support, how someone acts or conducts themselves. There is no doubt that race at times plays a part in the outcome, so do other factors. Income inequality is a huge factor.

18. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

What? You haven't been reading my posts. I've said that everybody should be trying their best no matter what.

If you believe that pointing out problems and unfairness in the system is crying, then I don't know what to say. I hope you get better and become more solutions oriented.

I'm not white? I haven't commented on my race at all.

20. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

It's real life, there is no such thing as equality for everyone. It's simply not possible. Setting some general examples where you have no proof of and just assumptions isn't doing anything either.