1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Most NBA "stars" are a bunch of narsissistic self-loving princess divas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by echu888, Jul 24, 2010.

1. sbyang

sbyang Member

How dare these guys promote themselves and think that their special. A player sees himself on sportscenter 24/7 and all of a sudden thinks he's better than the D-league scrub playing in the next locker?

A player sees himself endless promoted by the league, a shoe company, and the media and all of sudden he thinks he plays by different rules? It's like some players are treated differently than others on the court and off the court, like some players get more calls than others, like some players make more money than others.

A player sees a 100 ft billboard in front of his stadium and somehow thinks he's special. A player who has been receiving special treatment all his life thinks he deserves special treatment? What a diva these guys are.

2. Francis 4 ever

rose and tyreke seem to be nice kids, but then again they don't come off as intelligent enough to express complex emotions.

3. Francis 4 ever

their=they're

if you are going to get cheeky at least make solid points. You might have touched why they have the attitude they do, but that doesn't justify their behavior the least bit.

4. MD_in_Training

There aren't more than a handful of NBA players capable of expressing complex emotions.

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

We can talk about how much we hate this attitude as much as we want but players have just figured out how important they are to the success of an nba team. Unlike most major sports, an nba team can't just drop a very good player because he's a "diva". Even if there weren't guaranteed contracts you won't be seeing Lebron get waived any time soon.

6. Apps

Apps Member

Exactly my thoughts. The potential for blooming egos is at a much higher level in the NBA than it is for most other sports. The amount of players on the court is less, the talent gap fluctuates a lot more, and individual input is also very important--individual stats actually do mean a lot of things, whereas in most other sports you can blame skewed statistics on a very large number of different factors.

And take into account that some of these guys enter the draft/league at 19 and 20. When you're that young, and you're doing well in a highly competitive league, your head is gonna balloon, and it's gonna balloon big.

It definitely makes it hard to relate to the game and the players sometimes. There really is no humility. Not hard to see the cultural gap between Yao and the rest of the NBA. Duncan has always been one of my favorite players because he didn't let his superstardom get to his head (or at least not visibly).

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

This. Obviously when you have when you have a skill the entire world covets power, fame,$$$ will fall into your lap. How DARE these athletes not become spoiled and pampered princesses because of it! They should just donate everything they own to charity and live in a temple somewhere when they're not playing basketball :rolleyes:

Being humble in the face of such a world is something to be admired (Nash, Yao, Durant, Duncan), however expecting it from anyone is too much. Not breaking the law and producing on the court are expectations. Not being a cocky diva isn't among them (see: MJ).

8. Codeo

Codeo Member

Human nature takes over when given enough power, why don't you concern yourself with the people who gave these "divas" their power? Or grow up~

9. pocketrocket81

Many good points but the bottom line is where does it all start.It starts with how you are raised by your parents and what values they have instilled in you.So as these athletes grow up thinking they are "special" then why can you blame them for acting like they do.

Not just the NBA but any and every sport has its divas.When they get to the pro level then the team becomes the "parent". For the most part there are no teams that make good parents.I can think of hardly any times when a team made decisions concerning the players that did not cater to this "I am special" attitude we see in sports for most of the last two decades.

If a player signs a 5 year contract for XXX amount of dollars and two years into that contract is playing well above what he is worth and wants a new contract then the teams usually bow to the demands.But God help us if he is playing well below what he is worth two years into the contract.

I have alot of respect for players like Andre Johnson of the Texans or Kevin Durant or even Craig Biggio.I believe Biggio at one point took less money to stay in Houston.Please correct me if I am wrong on that one.

To be honest, I think the players would play their respective sports for much less money if the owners would all stick together and say this is how its gonna be.Trust me,I know that statement sounds crazy but why wouldn't they? I know they have grown accustomed to extravagant lifestyles but a little humility never hurt anyone.

10. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

I was once told that there were no humble mature superstars. But that is definitely not true, from Duncan, Robinson, and the Dream you also get people like Durant (let's see how that ends in 4 years though), and Nash

Also I can't say for sure, but DHoward seems like an ok guy

11. El Hitman

El Hitman Member

You are not a black apple to me. I said, that possibly, there was one black one in the batch, not you. And I didn't mean to say black. I meant 'blat'... 'blatch', blah... 'blapples'. :grin:

From "The Promotion"