1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Improved Player on Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 4, 2011.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Didn't want to start a poll, but my vote goes to Antonio Smith.

He already has as many sacks in 4 games (4) as he had during the entire 2010 season. He's only 2 sacks away from setting a new career high and it's only Week 5.

If I remember right, he was not too happy about being a 3-4 DE when Wade was first hired, but I think it's safe to say he okay with it now. Dude has always been solid, but so far this year, he's just been a beast.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Watt, Smith, Mario, Barwin... they've all been extremely impressive.

But Smith has been on another level.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Smith has really come into his own with this defensive scheme. I wish I could remember all the people that thought he should have been cut earlier in the preseason

4. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

More sacks means more chances to see the best sack dance ever!

[​IMG]

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Good coaches get the most out of their players. I think the entire defense looks like a completely different unit. There's energy and confidence and while I really sweated those final moments against the Steelers (I kept seeing Wallace streaking untouched in the middle of the field), it's obvious Wade has had a far greater immediate impact than anyone could've ever predicted. There were freaking beatsts that final quarter Sunday. It's nice to have a team that can literally beat you in three different ways.

And, I gotta admit.... while I didn't love their "search" and felt the whole, "He's BUM PHILLIPS' son!!!!" angle was contrived.... I'm 100% buying into it to it now. If they get to the playoffs and make some noise, the Phillips connection IS going to add an extra layer of goodness to it for me.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

gotta be cushing for me. He has been the most consistent defender not named antonio smith

7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Smith is probably the only one that stands out.. Its not necessarily his sacks , its his constant pressure thats impressive.... Sacks will get you to the Pro Bowl, constant pressure gets you a top 10 overall rating as a defensive unit....

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that statement makes no sense...you completely contradict yourself.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Smith has been unreal...his pressure has been second to none this year.

Cushing has been great on blitzes.

Watt, Mario, and Barwin all holding their own.

The front 7 has been as good as expected.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I was in Smith's corner last year (and Cushing) - with such an abysmal secondary, injuries, and failures calling the scheme, they weren't put in any kind of position to succeed. Last season, I felt Smith was bringing it but coming up empty. With reinforcements (Watt, Barwin, Ryans, Joseph, Manning) and a far more aggressive scheme, they're shining. Great to see.

I'm also impressed with how well Quin is doing, and even Jackson. With a strong corner opposite him, QBs will look his way more often, and he's mostly holding serve. Good for him.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's still probably not happy about it. He knew he'd be a better player in the 3-4 but he was unhappy about the change for some reason. The guy just likes the 4-3. He's crazy. Seriously.

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Smith was the best, most consistent player on defense last year. Other than his offsides problems, he generally played well. He is getting more sacks now and has definitely raised his game, but don't sell last year's effort short.

13. conquistador#11

He needs a cooler nickname than scooby. How about shinobi?
    What I really like about this defensive "clan" is the way they fly to the ball. In those sacks, this past sunday, you could count at least four players getting into the backfield.

Cody has been doing well anchoring the frontline too and as a plus, he is growing out a beard,which is way better than that stache he had going.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah Smith has by far been the best defensive player on the team. He might even be the player that has made the most impact period..

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was guilty of that last year. Probably a little put off by his ninja dance in the midst of such a horrible season while playing on a historically bad defense.

If he finishes the season with 16 sacks and we end up 12-4 (both of which we're on pace to do), he can dance all he wants!

Barwin would be my second choice. He was pretty much a one-trick-pony (with pass rushing being the one trick) before Wade got here. He would have probably only played on 3rd and long last year had he not gotten hurt. Too small to play fulltime DE, too big to play fulltime LB. Now he's in the perfect position (3-4 OLB) to be a full time starter and succeed, which he's done.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Agreed completely on Antonio Smith. He's been excellent. And as he's such a character, I want his jersey.

17. lean

lean Member

I'd say Glover Quin is much better at safety than corner, moving him has been a big improvement imo. But I agree about Smith, I was so down on him last year with all the offsides problems and whatnot. I think our D was so bad last year I was incapable of appreciating anything he did right. Obviously keeping him around was the right choice, the guy has played great this year.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Do you even understand the question?
    Antonio Smith was the most consistent player on the defense last year. He is playing even better now, but the margin Cushing of Cush's play from last year to this year is much greater.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

16 sacks from a 3-4 DE? :eek: That might be an NFL record.

If he finishes with 10+, he can take next season off. Of course, that seems like a given based on his performance thus far and his current level of play. However, getting double digit sacks from his position is very difficult...if him and Mario can combine for 25 sacks, then we've got something very special.

20. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

Mario Williams, b/c he couldn't play LB last year ;)

Smith has been great, and it doesn't hurt that he has the best celebration move in the league right now

Moe