1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most famous person of the 20th century?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Jul 28, 2011.

?

Most famous person of 20th century?

1. Mahatma Gandhi

4.4%
  2. Albert Einstien

17.0%
  3. Michael Jackson

19.9%
  4. Pope John Paul

0.5%
  5. Nelson Mandela

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Michael Jordan

4.9%
  7. Princess Diana

0.5%
  8. Muhammad Ali

1.5%
  9. Elvis

2.4%
  10. Adolf Hitler

49.0%
  1. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I agree that our replies reflect our individual experiences, but I can't agree with Michael Jordan.

I would argue that more Chinese people know Yao than Jordan. There are a ton of Chinese people, so he's already lost the popularity argument.

Jordan is destined to become basketball's Babe Ruth, but those names enduring is dependant on those sports enduring.

When you talk about Jordan and Elvis, I feel that you're presenting an American bias.

It's understandable, but like it or not, America won't be around forever.

Einstein's contributions to the world, however, will be.

#101 Ender120, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Why yall act like most people in China don't know who Hitler is?

American view on Chinese people is seriously skewed

3. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Hitler. He profoundly change the world with WWII.

4. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Child molester and mass murderer are top on the list. Go figure.

5. pge71188

pge71188 Member

6. g1184

g1184 Member

And the winner is ...

[​IMG]

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

"who, me?"
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Unless you're optimistic enough to believe that it will never get as bad as WWII again.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, one could argue that if it hadn't been for Churchill, Hitler and his cronies would have won. Doesn't seem fair. Yeah, I'd say Hitler as well. A pity, because there are so many others who deserve the claim. Gandhi, Einstein, and FDR are three that come to mind. In this country, Jack Kennedy and Dr. King would be contenders. FDR should get the nod over both, but I could see an argument there.

edit: After looking at the Time cover, I remembered that I recently found a treasure in the attic of the old family home. We're selling it now that my parents have both passed away and in a couple of suitcases, in remarkable condition (all things considered), were over a hundred Time Magazines from 1965-1969. An amazing number of classic covers from back when the rag was actually a pretty darn good read. Is God Dead? being just one of them. I've been having a great time (no pun intended!) leafing through them. Just looking at the ads are a trip!

#109 Deckard, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  10. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

I think it's Michael Jackson or Michael Jordan tbh. I can say from experience that virtually no one in Ethiopia knows who MLK or Einstein are. In my time there, people were singing Thriller and *everyone* knows who MJ is despite the fact that no one plays basketball.

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Wait- the title of the thread is not the most influential person who has contributed the most to the world, it's the most famous person. And I'm answering the question from the present perspective, not the hypothetical 100 years from now or something.

I would say that Jordan is more famous than Yao even in China. I don't know if you've lived in China, but I have and I think is more famous there too. Jordan is also more famous in America, where I've also lived.

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Yup...I meant most famous right now, not who will be remembered 500 years from now.

I think Hitler, Einstein and Michael Jackson rounding out the top three was expected.

Bruce Lee should be up in the top ten.

1 person likes this.
  13. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

If it helps the inevitable "what about China/India due to their massive population count; omg they don't know Hitler" arguments, I am in China, asked my coworkers what they think Chinese people would choose (cause I think the topic is fun) and majority said Hitler. :grin:

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, I'm the only one saying this, and I'm ABC fwiw. Americans here assume that everyone in the world knows icons that educated Americans know.

I act this way because it's the impression I got from talking to Chinese people. And by Chinese people I don't mean the guy with the masters degree working at Microsoft with good grasp of English. I mean the factory workers, farmers, construction guys, people with menial jobs in the cities. While I have never asked any of them who Hitler or Einstein are, I get the impression they neither know nor care about historical people that aren't even Chinese. If I were to guess, I'd say more of them know more about Dubya or Bin Laden than Hitler, because these are famous people that exist in modern China where communications have recently expanded beyond just large cities.

But most of them know who Mao Zedong is. Anyone who has ever held a piece of money in China has seen his face. This is even disregarding the widespread propaganda in China as Mao is still the face of Communism in more rural areas. So his name would be much more prevalent among the masses than really any other single person in Chinese history.

15. Ming Dynasty

Ming Dynasty Member

It's Hitler. Einstein is a distant second. And there really isn't a close third at all.

Gain some perspective. Read some history books.

16. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Hitler or Michael Jackson, but I think Walt Disney's name might be the most recognizable.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I figured Michael Jackson would get votes, even though he shouldn't. His life and untimely death are still fresh, and people have notoriously narrow views of history in the moment. But in 100 years, he won't be any more famous than Elvis. They won't be forgotten, but they won't be common knowledge.

1000 years from now, hitler will still be a major historical topic like Julius Caeser is now. Famous doesn't mean good.

18. sw847

sw847 Member

you are kidding right? 'most people' can't read past 1st grade level??? wow....if you are referring to english maybe, as i would say 99% americans can't read in a second language past the 1st grade level.

I am currently working in china on a pig breeding project as a technician which hires extremely lowly educated rural employees (front line staff only). after reading your post, I went and asked a few of them about hitler, and yes they do know him. obviously not nearly as well as Mao, but hell, the average american would have trouble telling you more info about hitler other than him killing a bunch of jews and that he was nazi.

not sure what makes you think that the majority of the chinese population is uneducated.

19. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I would be fairly surprised if Hitler was not the most known name of anyone from the 20th century.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

From my subjective viewpoint? Michael Jordan.
    From my objective viewpoint? Hitler; although infamous would be a more fitting term.