1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most famous person of the 20th century?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Jul 28, 2011.

?

Most famous person of 20th century?

1. Mahatma Gandhi

4.4%
  2. Albert Einstien

17.0%
  3. Michael Jackson

19.9%
  4. Pope John Paul

0.5%
  5. Nelson Mandela

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Michael Jordan

4.9%
  7. Princess Diana

0.5%
  8. Muhammad Ali

1.5%
  9. Elvis

2.4%
  10. Adolf Hitler

49.0%
  1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You do realize the Japanese killed just as many people as Hitler, and were just as cruel. Its interesting how Japan was really our enemy during WW2 since they attacked us, but we hear more about the Germans. Perhaps the people that control the media and entertainment has a lot to do with it.

1 person likes this.
  2. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

[insert sarcasm sign]

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If you factor in people actually knowing specific details about what the person did in their life/career (more than just knowing the name and having a general association with what they did), I'd say Hitler. I think a lot of people know Ghandi's name and face but might not know specifics. Everyone knows Einstein was a scientist but can they really go into any detail about his discoveries?

That's counting the entire world, anyway. In the US it might be Michael Jackson or Elvis.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

In terms of influence, it's Einstein and nobody is really close. He didn't just come up with a famous formula... he changed the way we look at the universe and that has permeated society so completely that even people who have little interest in or knowledge of science think the way they think in part because of Einstein.

In addition, his influence on cultre is remarkable. How many people watch movies and TV shows that mention wormholes and don't connect it to Einstein's space-time continuum? Not to mention the Manhatten Project, Hiroshima, the cold war, etc.

1,000 years from now, Einstein will still be a giant in science. Hitler will be remembered as well and there will continue to be books and scholarship offerings on all aspects of the Hitler era for a long time to come. However, as each century passes and evil bastards build on what Hitler did, he will start to fade.

Interesting that Hitler and Einstein intertwined in the early 30's and Hitler's rise led to Einstein's move to the USA. I think it may be the case that in 1,000 years Hitler is generally remembered more as a part of Einstein's life than for anything else he did.

As to who is more famous today throughout the world? I guess it depends on how you define famous and I'm not really sure it's that important to quantify fame. If so, the most person in the world today is probably Obama.

#84 rimrocker, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  5. rimrocker

Getting into a comparison of who was worse in the crimes they committed is like arguing over who was the greater hack: Laimbeer or Mahorn? It is impossible to reach an objective conclusion. Both Germany and Japan were horrific: killing millions, enslaving millions, looting conquered ares, etc.

That said, the strategic analysis clearly marks Germany as the greater threat and thus deserving of our emphasis. Who was the greater enemy? A major power in Europe on the cutting edge of science applying masive quantities of scale to destruction and intent on taking over the continent at least or a closed society island nation with a 19th century military mindset?

1 person likes this.
  6. rockbox

During the war, our emphasis was on Japan. The war in Europe had been going on for years before we got involved and we didn't get involved until Japan attacked us.

My point is for some reason we put more emphasis on Germany, when Japan played a more significant role in the war for us.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Genocide is kind of a big deal.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That just really doesn't sound right ;).

9. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Exactly!

Answer is Michael Jackson.

10. rimrocker

Wrong. Due to domestic politics, we couldn't get in the war. Still, FDR did everything he could (Cash and Carry, Lend-Lease, protecting British convoys) to go against Germany from as early as 1939. When Pearl Harbor happened, Germany did us the favor of declaring war on the US and it is abundantly clear from the historical sources that Germany was always considered the greater threat and that is where the emphasis was placed by FDR and Marshall. (The US Army had 76 divisions in Europe and 22 in the Pacific.)

Remember that on or shortly after Pearl Harbor, the Japanese also attacked British installations in the Pacific. FDR and Churchill rightly chose to go defensive in the Pacific because Germany posed a serious threat to the basic survival of both Britain and Russia. 15-30% of resources were sent to the Pacific initially and Pacific Naval leaders were crying because there were so many ships idling in the Atlantic waiting on D-Day.

The policy is called Europe First and was settled on during the Arcadia Conference, held between FDR and Churchill in DC in December, 1941. Thus, even just two weeks after Pearl Harbor, the emphasis of the US military was placed on Europe.

2 people like this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and today, i defend the world from Nazi zombies on X-Box.

repped post, by the way.

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Justin Bieber

13. YaosDirtyStache

Michael Jackson created a frenzy for 30+ years even after his scandals and not releasing an album or tours.

The man mad 30 yr old men cry in his presence, and reporters slack jawed with awe. There will never again be a global icon like that...never.

14. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I vote for Russia and Stalin being the most evil regime and person in the 20th century. Too bad history is written by the winners.

As for the poll, it has to be between Einstein and Hitler, nobody else comes close, not even the other people mentioned.

15. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I think Einstein is the right answer.

I know Hitler is supposed to be the unquestioned king of bad dudes, but I never understood why it was unquestioned. To me, Stalin was much worse. Hitler just added racism to a list of atrocities that couldn't hold Stalin's list's jockstrap.

I think musicians should be thrown out (of a window).

I like Mike as much as the next guy, but I refuse to believe that people will still talk about him hundreds of years from now, or that teachers will include him in their lesson plans.

Beethoven, Bach, and Michael Jackson.

Doesn't sound right to me.

Einstein, on the other hand, is the big daddy of science.

His name is a synonym for smart.

He changed the way we view time, the universe, and blowing each other up.

No one on that list can make a claim to being more influential, nor do any of them have a chance to remain as relevant with the passage of time.

Einstein ftw!

16. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

It looks like my first two choices are between the two people are debating, at first I saw Jackson and was about to vote, but then saw Hitler.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Hitler of course; it is kind of sad that Michael Jackson was on the list, a commentary on the state of our culture.

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

It can't be Einstein since the OP doesn't even know how to spell his name.

On a serious note, our replies reflect our own experiences. No one can speak for another person's knowledge.

I would say Michael Jordan. He is more well known among the poor and the youth than Hitler or Elvis, my other two top contestants.

19. rockbox

Of course it is, but most people in the US never even heard of the rape of Nanking. More Russians and Chinese died than Jews during WWII but we never hear about it in this part of the world. 30-40 million deaths is sort of a big deal too, don't you think? Does it not count as much since there plenty more where they came from? Or maybe it is because the Russian were a bunch of commies, and Japan is our super buddy now.

I'm not trying to diminish what happened to the Jews or that Hitler was a sick MF. I brought it up because of a poster made this comment regarding Chinese people not knowing about Hitler.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Michael Jackson