1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most disappointing season ever to date vis-à-vis preseason expectations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2rings, Jan 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. 2rings

2rings Member

I have been a Rox fan for 30+ years and I would have to say this is the most disappointing season I can remember to date vis-a-vis preseason expectations. Thoughts?

2. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

I'm not disappointed. Losing games will happen if one of your best players is hurt. Season is young, give it time. Playoffs is what's all about anyways.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is near the top if not #1. When we added a new "offensive" coach, I had another meaning in mind. IMO, Adelman has been a total dog so far. Same for SF & MJ. Bonzi is just over-the-hill and can't do what he used to, even when he likes the coach and tries hard. Shane is still a great guy but he's clearly in decline. I've blasted Tracy enough and Yao's limitations have never been more evident.

The frustration is boiling over but it will pass. Looking back, I wish we didn't start 6-1. Going forward, I want to gain confidence in the coach, but he makes it really hard. I want our 4 prospects to prove they belong on the Rockets as rotation players.

MiniMing, injuries aren't the big problem. Try talent and chemistry. And if it's about the playoffs then prepare to be disappointed. Keep hope alive but it isn't looking good if the roster stays like it is.

4. blastaway

blastaway Member

I would say that in my 21 years of being a Rockets fan, that this season is the worst. The season where we lost all the players due to drug habits wasn't as bad because we still made a playoff run. But this teams seams like we won't even get to the playoffs. (If I remember that far back correctly)

I still think Adelman is the biggest problem that we have. He is making the least amout of progress with the talent that we have that I think could be done by any coach.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

LOL - man this is nothing, try rooting for a Rockets team that won only 15 games and then drafted Ralph Sampson...only to win 29 games the next year.

This year's team still has time.

DD

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

this year is disappointing.

Other really disappointing seasons

0506 (injuries, Swift sucking)

0203 ("one of the great teams ever assembled" - says les - though i've noticed he says tis pretty much every year by now)

8687 (after getting close to the top a long slide begins)

9192 (in the lotto, hakeem feuding)

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did that year's team have a slogan saying "Its time"? Doubtful.

Also, any team that wins only 15 games the previous year should have ZERO expectations... even if they're adding both Jordan and Olajuwon. The thread is based on dissapointment based on expectations... not just pure dissapointment.

Given the fact that it will be tough to even make the playoffs (let alone win a series... which is the least of what was expected)... this will be the biggest dissapointment/waste/joke of a season by the Rockets since just 2 years ago, when T-mac had the back problems... which wasn't so bad because it allowed Yao to finally learn how to dominate. Now, there is no "silver lining", and in many cases, it looks like Yao, T-mac, and the overall team has regressed across the board. (I'd kill for that Yao that was putting up 27 and 12).

If Yao is already starting to regress, this team will no longer have to worry about future "expectations". We're the 1980's Atlanta Hawks all over again, minus some playoff series victories.

8. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

if we make the playoffs that is. this is a pretty dissapointing season. if things dont shape up fast then massive changes will be made.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The strike season with Pippen was pretty disappointing.

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Yes, in my 99 years of being a rocket fan, this ranks right up there.

LOL at all the fans pulling rank........ ;)

11. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

this is getting close to 05-06...unfortunately.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I've been a Rocket fan since 1989 and this is the worst I can remember.

I was sure this team was going to be a LEGIT top 5 squad in the league and at least hold it's own against SA, Phoenix and Dallas in the playoffs. I figured a relatively rough start might happen but still figured 55+ wins with an extremely good second half of the season. Although I thought JVG deserved another season with some of our new additions I was under the impression that Adelman was a great, VERSATILE coach who might be exactly what Tmac, Yao and company needed. I convinced myself that the team would take what JVG gave them and build on that with Adelman's creativity on offense. Yes, I knew the defense would slide but I figured the new offense would more than make up for that.

Now for the reality. It appears that the game has passed Adelman by or maybe the players are not cooperating with him or maybe he just isn't into coaching like he thought he would be. It isn't helping that we have a group of guys who seemed to have aged 5 years over the off-season in terms of skill and ability declining. Again, I have to attribute some of that to the coach because it just seems too big a coincidence when almost everyone on the team suddenly loses their game. We are also finding out how much personality coaching JVG was doing behind the scenes to keep this ship afloat. Rick is either unable or unwilling to do the same so now our chemistry is trash and we have a superstar who can't stop going through injuries that seem a bit mysterious. For all of the unnecessary flack JVG caught for not playing rookies I refuse to believe he would not be developing Scola and even Brooks right now. Keep in mind, had JVG come back Bonzi would be gone and SF probably would not have come back and I'm not sure about James either. So this team would be without the guys who are not contributing much. Addition by subtraction.

It's seem inevitable that the whole thing is going to boil over sooner than later. Hell, even if they turn this around and win 50+ games it seems like the first time they face adversity again it is going to implode. Not exactly conducive to winning a Championship.

13. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Last years team would kick this team all over the court.

I expected this team to be one of the top 2 defensive teams in the league, to have Brooks/James/Francis take minutes from Alston, I expected Yao to be more dominant than last season. In no way did I expect a step back. Not at all.

At this point last season we were about 19-12 with chemistry, team identity and we just needed some more depth on the roster.

We are below .500 with more question marks than answers.

Yeah, if Tracy and Yao carry the team we might get back to .500

but that is a total failure.

Giving this team more time is an even bigger question mark.

We are lost.

Adelman is a good coach when he has the right great players to work with.

I don't think he is good for Yao.

I can't wait to hear how many players say 'he is the best coach I've played for'

Obviously both TMac and Yao prefer the accountability that Van Gundy established on the team. Van Gundy is gone forever and Adelman will have to rebuild the roster to get the kind of players he wants if we are even going to sniff another championship.

I think we pulled the plug on Grumpy way to soon.

Now we are starting over.

Yes, I am a little disappointed, because quite frankly no one knows how far we are away from another ring. I don't think it will happen now in the Yao Tracy era.

14. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

This most disappointing season is somewhat a buildup of 3+ years of disappointments.

15. zforrest

zforrest Member

I agree. I seriously can't stand that I'm a Rockets fan at times. I thought three years ago that I was done with being a Rockets fan, but three years later nothing has changed but the roster.

16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The Houston Rockets.

We peak in September.

17. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

That's pretty funny! I agree with the OP. This season is the worst.

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Sorry DD but I think you are deluding yourself. The reality is that we just don't have the right talent and chemistry. Les is wasting the career of Yao Ming. He should trade Yao to a better team, unless he gets the correct role players and focuses the team building on Yao Ming. :p

19. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Um, why would trading our best player to another team solve our problems? I guess there would no longer be any expectations of success.

I am a Rocket fan, not just a Yao fan.

20. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Well, when you pay nearly 20 million dollars to your most talented player who has a history of being a disappointment...

You get disappointment.