1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Athletic PG?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Zackery, Oct 27, 2011.

?

Most Athletic PG?

1. Rose

58 vote(s)
    62.4%
  2. Westbrook

24 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Wall

8 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Other (please name)

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Zackery

Zackery Member

Rose, Westbrook, Wall, or other?

Here's how I rank them in the different catagories of athleticism.

Leaping ability (vertical): Rose, Wall, Westbrook
    Speed (full court): Wall, Westbrook, Rose
    Quickness (half court/lateral): Rose, Westbrook, Wall
    Body control/Balance: Rose, Westbrook, Wall
    Strength: Westbrook, Rose, Wall

Overall: Rose, Westbrook, Wall

2. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

I like Rose, but I think Westbrook is the most physical PG in the league.

Maybe in a couple years he may surpass Durant as the best player on the Thunder?

3. Omer

Omer Member

Your breakdown and rankings are pretty accurate and fair in my opinion.

4. thejav

thejav Member

Kyle lowry of coarse

5. MD_in_Training

Uh... if you're just going by pure athleticism, you'll have to include players like Nate Robinson (probably most athletic in the league going by your categories), Jordan Farmar, and Mike Conley Jr.

6. Htown's2kFinest

One guy on our team could really be on the list.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yhd4jW_FOvQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Zackery

Zackery Member

I think if we are talking about "popular" athletic abilities Rose has the other two beat. Buy popular I mean things that most people associate with athleticism like who jumps the highest, etc. I believe Rose has the highest vertical out of the three, is a better finisher around the rim, and is overal the flashiest. Those are things that people typically assiciate with athleticism.

However, I also think that Westbrook is perhaps the best all around athlete out of the three (and any other PG in the league). He has the size, speed/quickness and strength combination to dominate any other PG. If I remember correctly during his pre-draft measurements, he didn't have that high of a vertical (something like 35 inches) which is way lower than Rose (41 inches) and Wall (40 inches). But I do think that he has become more athletic since his years in college. So, overall Westbrook is the complete package, not to mention he could be best PG in the league if he commits to that.

As for John Wall, I watched him a little bit last season, and he seemed sort of out of control at times and missed quite a few shots at the rim. He is really really fast on the open court but he needs to learn how to have better ball/body control.

8. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Derrick Rose, hands down.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Rose hands down

His body control and contortion in the air makes him above everyone else. I mean Westbrook, Wall can both jump as high and run as fast as D-Rose.

But the r****ded shet Rose does in the air during a layup or dunk simply cannot be done by any other pg in the league.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c4GQKEHMAyY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Strength, speed, flexibility, hops.. Basically athleticism wrapped up in one play. I think he is the only PG in the league that could've made that play.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused:

12. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

hops, quickness, burst, and top speed all go to rose. he also happens to have the best basketball skills as well. he is the most athletic pg in the leauge, and more accurately, one of the elite top 5 nba players.

13. MD_in_Training

Check their predraft measurements. They measured better than all three PGs listed here. Of course, this is only going by numbers...

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When it comes to pure athleticism, I can't give WB or Rose the edge on each other. I need to watch John Wall more before ranking him. He doesn't take a back seat on speed to anyone.

Rose is better than WB at finishing around the rim because of body control and touch. When there is heavy traffic, WB is better because he always initiates contact and draws the foul. Rose tries to be elusive too often, though he's cut down on this some.

Strength: I'm not sure if WB is actually stronger than Rose. It seems that way because he relishes contact so much and actually uses contact as a weapon to wear down opposing PGs. Rose doesn't do that. I've seen games where PGs throw their hands up on the air because they get tired of WB bumping into them. Late in games, he also attacks the offensive boards and gets key rebounds and putbacks.

ascaptjack, I wouldn't be surprised if WB is a consensus top 5 player in the NBA in a couple of years. His ceiling is every bit as high as Rose's. Maybe this coming season he becomes Rose's equal.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

They are pretty much on par with one another, give or take here or there. But those are the top 3.

They all have the ability to be the best at their position, and top 5 status in the league. But Wall has the highest upside for the fact that he already has the passing ability that those 2 guys don't. He's a pass-first PG, who has the ability to score like those 2. And he's already working on his jumpshot.

I think Wall will be the most complete PG out of the 3, with Rose being the most explosive scorer, and WB being 3rd in around 4-5 years time.

All very spectacular players though. Never get the hate for WB last year in the playoffs, when not all the fault was on him.

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I'll go with Wall ... his maximum vertical reach 11'8.5 (equal to both PPat and B. Griffin) is higher then both Westbrook and Rose. So if push came to shove he could finished at the rim over both Rose and Westbrook.

17. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Call me crazy but I think Westbrook will become the top PG in this league, maybe even as soon as next year?

I would trade all of our roster for this guy. If he polishes on his passing game, he will be even a top player too. His defense alone could warrant him being better than Rose.

Only thing I like better about Rose is that he seems a lot more humble and generally has a nice personality.

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Westbrook is the better of the 3... But his career could go either way... He has to not buy into the media scrutiny, which is hard to do for a 2nd option superstar...He's capable of being "Batman" on any given team, but he may be better served to play "Robin" ... Still I would take him over the other two guards mentioned, as of now...

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You aren't crazy at all. WB needs some polishing and refinement in his game but he could very well vault to the top fairly soon. Another thing that sets him apart from Rose and Wall is his pure nastiness on the court. This is also a weakness sometimes and he must control it better.

I hope Wall measures up to what some of you guys say about him. He's got the tools.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Not to derail the thread but part of me HATES the way Rose and WB play with the way they dominate the ball and always trying to do too much.

I have high expectations for John Wall. And part of those high hopes is that he'll play like a complete PG -- unlike the way Rose and WB play with their score-first mentality.

But generally speaking, I agree that these three definitely are the most athletic PG's in the game.