1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morris Twins training with Shawn Kemp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Holy crap, I come into the GARM for the first time in about a month and I see this thread. Shawn kemp is a trainer?

Please let this lockout end so we can keep our players away from Shawn Kemp.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Kemp's probably as good as any to push these guys to stay in shape during the lockout since it was during a lockout that Kemp's weight started ballooning. He still had a pretty good year once the lockout ended (I think), but I believe his weight and substance abuse went out of control during and after that lockout.

3. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

from the same game, at least 2

4. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Why is Marcus training with a power foward?

I thought he said he was gonna be strictly a three? A more logical choice for him would be someone like Paul Pierce or Carmelo Anthony to train with.

Markieff I can understand, but not Marcus.

5. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Is he training them for the Major League Eating Contest?

6. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

Shawn Kemp's five steps to success:

1) Power dunk
    2) Power dunk
    3) Short jumper
    4) Power dunk
    5) Eat jelly doughnut

1 person likes this.
  7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

Shawn Kemp got arrested for pot possession in the street outside my parents' house. I think that's why people are asking to keep the Morris twins away from him. But honestly it probably has no impact on the amount of weed that the Morris twins smoke. And just based on the percentages, they probably smoke weed regularly.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

On Kemp's training credentials - It could kinda sorta be a John Lucas-like approach where its a guy's past troubles are examples of what NOT to do. And he can advise best how to stay clear of it.

Kemp HAS dropped some major lbs off his frame (as recently as 2 years ago at least) so its not like he's gonna be eating hot dogs & smoking bud in front of their face during drills.

Though is he REALLY far removed from his troubles? Kemp had a couple comeback attempts in foreign leagues couple years back, then abruptly stopped the comebacks due to "personal issues" or "family reasons" before even playing games. Coulda be cuz he didnt want to admit the skills werent there, but suspiciously could be dropping out cuz of other things.

9. BetterThanEver

Pierce and Melo may not want to do it. Kemp will do it, because he has few options. Kemp is up to his neck in child support. It's so bad that you could throw a $1 on the ground and he would drop to his knees. While the twins have earned no money at all. They may be using personal loans based on future income.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If nothing else, he can teach them the ins and outs of the NBA. Maybe even a few veteran moves. I like it.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

1 thru 4 works for Blake Griffin

12. dischead

dischead Member

That block on Drexler was insane.

13. meh

meh Member

Shawn Kemp can teach skills? It's been like 15 years, so my memory is certainly hazy. But I've always thought of Kemp as that insanely gifted player who simply had all the tools and simply out-talented his opponents. I guess maybe he can teach some ways to move around the basket, but that's really about it.

It's the McHale types that I've always pegged as good trainers.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Completely agree.

It's not the people that rely on talent that make good teachers, but the hard workers that rely on skill perfection.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

horrible list...where is cocaine and impregnating women?

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

When I think of dedication, drive, role model, and commitment to excellence the first person I think of is Shawn Kemp. Right?

I'm hoping that there is a good outcome to this, but I sure don't perceive it as a positive.

Has Shawn had some kind of John Lucas-like turn around?

17. phantoman

phantoman Member

a few months ago he was on the show, Joe vs Pro's.

He was alittle out of shape but still in better shape than his Orlando days.
    He was pretty aggressive in the episode if i remember correctly.

18. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think he's a fantastic trainer for them, I feel Markieff could benefit as a PF and because Kemp brought an intensity that Markieff doesn't bring with consistency IMO.

I think Marcus may pick up some pointers about how to deal with feeling underestimated.

Who knows. But there's nothing to lose. They could be getting plain old bored of training and need to change things up a bit, get someone who will keep them on their toes and give them a few pointers. I doubt it's costing them much, and it's good PR for Kemp.

20. Commodore

Commodore Member

[​IMG]