1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morris and Collier find homes in the NBDL

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HotRocket, Nov 7, 2003.

1. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

NBDL Draft 2003

2003 NBDL Draft Results

The Huntsville Flight selected Ken Johnson, a 6-foot-11, 245-pound center from Ohio State, with the number one overall selection in the NBDL’s 2003 Draft.

Johnson was in NBA training camp with the Toronto Raptors and played last season with the Miami Heat before coming to the NBDL. He was selected by the Heat in the second round (#49 pick overall) of the 2001 NBA Draft.

He finished his four-year career at Ohio State as the fourth all-time leading shot blocker in NCAA history with 444, which also ranks as the best all-time in Big Ten and Buckeye history.

A First Team All-Big Ten selection, Johnson also holds the top three positions in Ohio State’s record book for single-season blocked shots and had 44 career games with five or more blocked shots. As a senior, he averaged 12.5 points, 7.3 rebounds, and 4.0 blocked shots.

With three centers going in the first round, the NBDL’s first round selections also included F-Terence Morris (Columbus), G-Lavor Postell (Asheville), C-Josh Asselin (Roanoke), F-Rolan Roberts (Charleston), and C-Jason Collier (Fayetteville).

Following are the results of the NBDL 2003 Draft:

(See info about each draft player here on the official site.)

ROUND ONE

Team Name Pos Ht Wt College

1. Huntsville Flight Ken Johnson C 6-11 245 Ohio State

2. Columbus Riverdragons Terence Morris SF 6-9 221 Maryland

3. Asheville Altitude Lavor Postell SG 6-5 205 St. John’s

4. Roanoke Dazzle Josh Asselin C 6-11 235 Michigan

5. Charleston Lowgators Rolan Roberts SF 6-6 230 Southern Illinois

6. Fayetteville Patriots Jason Collier C 7-0 260 Georgia Tech

2. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Collier must be one hell of a player to be a first round draft pick in two different drafts...........why in the hell did we take him in the first round anyway? It seemed like Rudy always took a reach in the draft and if it panned out, he would be the smartest coach in the league. Rhodes ranks right up there with Collier.

3. kryten128

kryten128 Member

From the NBA to the NBDL first round. If he keeps this up, Collier will be drafted in the first round of your neighborhood church league in a couple of years.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Wow!! Terrance Morris the #2 overall pick in the draft. This league must really suck.

I hope both Morris and Collier can develop their games well enough to get back to the NBA. I really don't think that Collier has the talent to be an NBA player but Morris certainly can.

5. aries323

aries323 Member

i feel sorry for the people of fayetteville who has to suffer from watching collier play
    :eek:

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i thought T-Mo showed flashes of real potential last year, and he certainly has wonderful physical skills. it'd have been interesting to see what JVG could have done with him.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Me too. I guess no other NBA team shared that sentiment. Shows how much I know.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Come on who here actually thought that Collier would be a success in the NBA? We all knew that he was going to be a stiff ever since Stern announced his name back in 2000. Just to rehash what happened, Collier was picked with Desmond Mason, Quentin Richardson, and Jamaal Magloire all still on the board.

Unfortunately, CD and Rudy T didn't want to hurt Cuttino's feelings, so they didn't draft a guard. Magloire wasn't a good enough shooter for Rudy, so he went with the slow white guy. And the rest is history.

9. RikQuik

RikQuik Member

So, lets see....we have Collier and Tmo in the NBADL...Rhodes is prolly playing turkey or some place...We gave up 3 1sts for E Griffin...traded a 1st for Tmo....and then we have Boki...

Hmmm....Sounds to me like Rudy and CD have totally sucked at drafting since they got Cat. Maybe we should send them both to the Lakers and let them run their organization......

10. mulletman

mulletman Member

i think rudy really wanted demarr johnson in that draft. the rockets may have even tried to trade up to get him. after he was gone, they traded away their pic (joel pryzbilla) for jason collier and another #1. the rockets used this #1 in the eddie griffin deal:(