1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moronic Bangladeshi man tries to blow up the Fed, but got pwn3d by NYPD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Oct 17, 2012.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The Feds have released a picture of the 1,000 pound fake bomb....

[​IMG]

2. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

These Southern Baptists Tea Party militants must be stopped!

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to put out a hypothetical here. What if say this was the guy who made the "Innocence of Muslims" video and an FBI informant approached him about a way to really get at Muslims. The informant offered to help him with supplies and technical knowledge, and even to pay for building a bomb to take out a mosque. Let's say that person went ahead and tried to detonate a dummy bomb at a mosque and was then arrested would everyone think that was a good thing?

I agree with the OP that this guy was a moron but I am troubled by authorities trolling for angry morons, egging them on and even arming them with dummy bombs. It strikes me as not so much as keeping us safe but seeking to create threats that otherwise might never actually become a threat.

There is another possibility that bothers me about this strategy. While this guy was a moron what happens if one of these people the FBI targets isn't? While the FBI is careful to arm them with inactive bombs what happens if one them actually makes it work?

4. Granville

Granville Member

One less jackass walking the streets, good riddance to him and people who think like he does.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

There is absolutely no evidence that the guy who made the silly video would be inclined to be violent. Very bad example to try to create an equality that is not there.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think people are throwin around entrapment without actually understanding what it is. Solely based on the info in this article, this wasn't entrapment - the guy came to America expressly to commit this type of crime.

This is a very very very bad person being taken off the street, thank heavans.

Absolutely the immediate gut reaction and response here should be fantastic. If you're first thought isn't that, shame on you.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

just curious what evidence has been presented prove this?

8. JayZ750

I have no clue, only commented on the article - as I noted, which said it.

If his actions as presented in the article are even remotely close to accurate, it backs up that claim.

9. vlaurelio

even the article itself says allegedly

10. JayZ750

And goes on to note he reached out to undercover Feds thinking he was gettin help, how he has noted the plan was his own, how he sat in a car and actively tried to detonate a bomb, etc.

If different facts come to light, then the analysis will change clearly.

For now, it is what it is. I'm not about to go calling every arrest involving an undercover officer entrapment as my first reaction.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

First they stalk Yao at his home, now this?

12. vlaurelio

"who came to the U.S. on a student visa and was allegedly planning to blow up the Federal Reserve Bank of New York with what he believed was a 1,000-pound bomb"

reading that statement it looks he was already provided was told that he will be provided with a make believe bomb before hand which made him decide to fly to the US

13. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I'm glad you're happy Obama is keeping us safe from ALL types of extremists! :)

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is good and possibly bad -- the positive is it sends a strong message to all the idiots out there who want to honor Allah. The negative is the feds probably wasted a lot of money setting this guy up when he would have never been able to do anything on his own.

The catch is though -- who is to say that he wouldn't have eventually collected a bunch of propane tanks or bought a gun and a bunch of ammo and killed innocent people. It wouldn't have been a grand statement like he thought he was going to pull off, but people would have died regardless.

So I say job well done because that was obviously his main goal in coming to the US -- I hope they aren't wasting too much time on small time players, but IMHO they aren't.

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You might be the single biggest idiot I've encountered.

Why do you expect Mathloom to denounce this Bangladeshi dude? You really think he supports him because all Muslims are in some secret pact with each other?

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Here’s a list of the other foiled attacks in New York City since Sept. 11, 2001.

1. Brooklyn Bridge: Iyman Faris, a U.S.-based al Qaeda operative, was arrested in 2003 and entered a guilty plea; he planned to cut the bridge’s support cables. The NYPD interrupted Faris’ plan through its 24-hour coverage of the bridge. According to the NYPD, Faris sent al Qaeda leaders a coded message noting, “the weather is too hot” for him to finish the mission. He has been sentenced to federal prison.

2. Subway cyanide: Ayman al-Zawahiri, then al Qaeda's No. 2 and now its leader after Osama bin Laden's killing, had plans to spread cyanide gas in the subway system but called it off at the last minute for “something bigger.”

3. New York Stock Exchange and Citigroup headquarters: Al Qaeda plotted to use vehicles to bomb these and other financial institutions. Dhiren Barot aka Issa al-Hindi, whom authorities said is an associate of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks, pleaded guilty in 2006 to the plot, foiled by the New York police. This was after his 2004 arrest and admission to plotting the NY Stock Exchange bombing, as well as attacks on the IMF and World Bank headquarters in Washington.

4. Garment District: Uzair Paracha was arrested in 2003 by the NYPD and FBI for material support of terrorism in New York, based on intelligence developed overseas. Paracha is reported to have discussed with top al Qaeda leaders the prospect of smuggling weapons and explosives -- possibly even a nuclear device -- into Manhattan’s Garment District through his father’s import-export business.

5. Herald Square subway station: An NYPD undercover officer helped to thwart a 2004 plot to bomb the Herald Square subway station. This was the intention of Shahawar Matin Siraj and James Elshafay, whom police called “lone-wolf admirers of al Qaeda.” Their conspiracy also included surveillance of the subway station, choosing the location for their bombs and mapping entrances and exits.

6. PATH train and WTC retaining wall: It took a multi-agency investigation to interrupt a 2006 plot to attack NYC’s underground transit connecting to New Jersey. Law enforcement was monitoring international chat rooms when agents found a plan to flood New York’s Financial District. Authorities said the main operative was taken into custody in Lebanon and admitted to the plan.

7. JFK Airport/Buckeye Pipeline: There was a plan by four people authorities call “al Qaeda sympathizers” to bomb the fuel tanks and pipeline at John F. Kennedy Airport. This transports fuel from New Jersey through Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens. The suspects were arrested in New York and Trinidad in 2007, and three got life sentences.

8. Transatlantic aircrafts: This was a British-based plot to destroy seven commercial aircraft over the Atlantic Ocean or fly one or more into East Coast targets, including NYC. Multiple people were arrested in London.

9. Long Island Railroad: High-level al Qaeda leadership had discussed bombing a Manhattan-bound LIRR commuter train, according to NYPD. Muslim-American Bryant Neal Vinas was arrested in connection with the plot, pleaded guilty in 2009, and is in prison.

10. Bronx synagogues: This is a Riverdale plot that targeted two Jewish facilities, a synagogue and a Jewish community center in the Bronx and Stewart Air Base in Newburgh, N.Y. It was disrupted in May 2009, and the NYPD and FBI arrested four men who were convicted a year later.

11. NYC subway and transit hubs: In September 2009, Najibullah Zazi and others planned a series of coordinated suicide bombings aimed at NYC subway transit hubs during rush hour.

12. Times Square: On May 1, 2010, Faisal Shahzad attempted to detonate a bomb inside an SUV parked in Times Square on a busy weekend night.

13. Manhattan synagogue: In May 2011, the NYPD upset a plot by two Queens men, Ahmed Ferhani and Mohamed Mamdouh, to bomb a synagogue in Manhattan.

14. Returning soldiers: A Muslim convert, Pimentel was arrested in November 2011 in Manhattan while constructing bombs and plotted to kill soldiers returning home to New York from Afghanistan and Iraq. He was following instructions in the “How to Build a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom” article published in al Qaeda's English-language magazine "Inspire.”

15. Internet solicitation: Morton is an NYC-based Muslim convert who was also monitored by the NYPD. He was caught in Morocco and pleaded guilty in February of this year to soliciting murder and encouraging violence via the Internet. He was sentence to 138 months in prison in June. He will also get three years of supervised release for using his position as a leader of the Revolution Muslim organization’s Internet sites to conspire to solicit murder and encourage violent extremism, according to police. Morton’s partner in crime, Zachary Chesse, was also sentenced for providing material support to the Somali Muslim armed movement al Shabaab, communicating threats and soliciting acts of extremism, including against the creators of cartoon series "South Park." Police said the two were associates of Mohamed Alessa and Carlos Almonte -- New Jersey men who pleaded guilty in March 2011 to conspiring to murder people overseas on behalf of a foreign terrorist group.

1 person likes this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are absolutely right.

I guess one possible reason to scream "entrapment" would be that one secretly sympathizes with the guy or feels threatened by law enforcement doing their job.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another possible reason would be that an alien from outer space inhabited the brain of someone who suspects entrapment and forced them to say that.

Both the reason you mentioned and the one I mentioned have the exact same amount of foundation.

Of course the one I mentioned isn't meant to make the person who disagreed with me look bad, but the one mentioned is meant to do that.

19. vlaurelio

or simply informed or skeptical

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/10...e_bomb_sting_raises_specter_of_fbi_entrapment

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nope.