1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morning of 2/19: The Rockets are over or under the luxury tax?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 29, 2010.

?

Will the Rockets be over or under the luxury tax line after the trade deadline?

1. OVER

90 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. UNDER

107 vote(s)
    54.3%
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Every year around the trade deadline, our eyes get big, our minds overvalue our players and we think Les Alexander is ready to make that luxury tax plunge. Every year we come away initially disappointed as he makes the cost-cutting move that gets him under (though honestly this has served the team very well year after year as Les has spent dough on the draft).

Right now the Rockets are $3 million, give or take, over the luxury tax. What will they be after the trade deadline on February 18th?

My opinion only -- Even if the Rockets move T-Mac for contracts that extend beyond 2010, I think the team will make sure to take on less annual salary so as to get under the tax -- perhaps not in one move, but in multiple. This is why I think the Rockets are looking for an expirings + asset type of deal... for them to take on big, long salaries, it's going to have to be a Mother Lode type of talent transfer. It's what makes a Ricky Rubio type of trade desirable -- you get a long-term asset and bring back expirings. Again, just my opinion.

2. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Under...I don't expect any big moves unless it's a can't pass up kinda deal. The more we lose the less and less likely we are to make a trade IMO.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Under...anything else would be very surprising.

4. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

under (sorry folks)

2008 trades kirk snyder to get under
    2009 trades alston to get under
    2010 trades tmac for 2 million less expirings(hughes/mobley) get under

5. redao

redao Member

lol, under. not poll worthy.

6. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Under..... I do hope we trade for 1st rd draft picks do... :cool:

--RB

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What we have heard from Morey is that Les is willing to spend 20 million, willing to take on salary and how it would be easier to add talent at the trade deadline then waiting for the off-season. Add that to the fact that Morey knows that he this is his last opportunity to use Tracy's contract in order to add talent and I think something will happen. And I also think Les is willing to go over the LT this year.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I think Morey will pull the T-Mac for Iggy/Dalembert trade to solidify this squad. Then Morey will make some other moves to help our team salary.

9. choujie

choujie Member

Chance is not that good unless Rockets can get an all-star level talent.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Over, I think alot of triggers will be pulled this deadline.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I hear ya crash, but I look at one possible translation of his statement that the Rockets are one of three teams willing to take on salary as willing to take on years -- contracts beyond '10. My hunch is the Rockets, even if they take on some bad contracts, will try to ship out more annual salary than they take on.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I believe McG is traded. I believe when the smoke clears Rox talent is up and Rox lux taxland is down.

If McG remains a Rocket then he is retained and used in a summer SnT.

13. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Get under.

e.g. ask Philly to take on Cook's contract if we're absorbing Iggy and Dalembert.

Something like this: McGrady+Cook+Budinger+2010 first rounder(lotto protected) for Dalembert+Iguodala will get us under the LT.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Words have been that they would go over the tax line.

Actions have proven otherwise.

Actions speak louder than words.

DD

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Morey could answer this questions right now.

I doubt the Rockets will make a trade that gives back anything longer than a 1 year contract unless it's a deal of a lifetime.

16. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I hope they do a trade like the Iggy/Dalembert trade this team needs a shot in the arm real bad. If they don't Les is throwing in the towel and lotto land here we come.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont think the fact that they've made deals in the past to get under means much this year. Most teams look to make those minor deals to get under the tax. It's the smart thing to do since you're saving money and only giving up a bench player who often doesnt even play much.

How much would they be over if the took on iggy and dalembert? how much would extra tickets and merchandise sold as a result of this trade sum up to? I think that's what Les will be looking at. With those two guys we could possibly make another long playoff push and it would really get fans fired up for next year. I'm not sure what these numbers would look like, but i think Les will make projections to decide if it's worth it, so it's possibly we'll be over..

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Over, no matter what we do, I can't see us being anything but over.

If we trade McGrady we will still have to take THAT much in salary and players back.

If we don't trade McGrady, but dump off Cook and/or Dorsey, I think we are probably still over. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

19. tmacROX1

tmacROX1 Member

whoa that poll is close. anyway, i dont think the rockets could get a big name with the trade so leave alone the luxury tax :grin:

20. opticon

opticon Member

I say under becasue I think tmac takes a buy out.

Better to losee 5 mil for one year, then have to sign for the mle or less next year.

Tmac needs to drive up his stock in the worst way or he may end making Iverson money next year.