1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mormon Steve Young says no to prop 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Pro-Gay Marriage Signs Go Up in Steve Young's Yard
    No on 8 sign in front yard

Former 49ers quarterback Steve Young and his wife Barbara have posted yard signs in front of their Palo Alto home urging voters to vote no on Proposition 8, the state ballot measure that would ban same-sex marriage.

Barbara Young has also donated about $50,000 to defeat the measure, and says in a statement that the family does not believe in discrimination and "therefore our family will vote against Prop. 8."

Steve Young, a prominent Mormon, has not taken a public position on Prop. 8 himself.

The Mormon Church has donated much money to the "Yes on 8" campaign.

Young wouldn't be the only Bay Area sports legend to weigh in on Prop. 8. Former San Francisco Giant Jeff Kent — who now plays for the Los Angeles Dodgers — has donated $15,000 to the campaign to ban gay marriage.

Copyright Associated Press
    http://www.nbcbayarea.com/sports/fo...arriage_Signs_Go_Up_in_Steve_Youngs_Yard.html

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If Jeff Kent goes public with his wishes on a certain issue, that should automatically insure that voters go the opposite way.

I wish the "no on 8" groups had used Jeff Kent in their materials.

Do you want to vote like this repressed man?
    [​IMG]
    Just say NO to Prop. 8 and the molester 'stache!

Good for Steve Young!

If people are against gay marriage, good for them too. They can: (A) not enter a gay marriage, (B) not preside over a gay marriage, (C) make sure they belong to a church which will not host gay marriages, and (D) mind their own business.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Good for the Youngs.

4. aghast

aghast Member

As Jon Stewart pointed out last night, it's quite odd that, given their history, the LDS community comes out in favor of a singular definition of marriage.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

"Marriage is between one man and many women"

No...wait....

:D

6. B-Bob

Well, honestly, when Mrs. B-Bob's father was lecturing her
    about "marriage is between a man and a woman," she
    referenced his non-stelar marital history and said:
    "you mean between a man and a woman, and then another
    woman, and yet another woman, don't you?"
    He was very ticked off.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I need help on this issue. Is their concern that if gay marriage is legalized that churches can be forced to perform them or something? I'm just trying to figure out why churches can be anti-gay marriage and pro civil-unions.

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's been the route in my family, where all bassi, pater and mater familias, have had a training marriage...or two (but not concurrent, not that there's anything wrong with that!)

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its a misleading headline:

Steve Young, a prominent Mormon, has not taken a public position on Prop. 8 himself.

10. B-Bob

Yeah, I definitely did not mean to throw a stone at my father-in-law from my glass house. :) But he doesn't read Clutchfans...

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i worked across the mormon temple out in westwood/LA

all this week there was a few No on 8 people out in front.

this morning there were a bunch of Yes on 8 people out there and being pretty demostrative too.

until....

the no on 8 people arrived a few hours later and totally took over the yes on 8 people got real quick as the majority of the traffic passing by starting to support the no on 8 people.

not sure if it will pass the town i grew up in is heavily populated with mormons and christians and pretty conservative and when i went home this past weekend there were several Yes on 8 signs and supporters all over.

but where i live its more no on 8. this one will be really close actually.