1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Variance and Jeremy Lin at the Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RealLife, May 4, 2013.

1. RealLife

RealLife Member

Daryl Morey, Rockets GM, said that the key to winning is variance.

Remember when Ray Allen was shooting 34% during the 2009 playoffs, even though he averages 58%? Well, it's because of variance.

Every NBA players will have string of games where they exceed or have below average performance. It will happen sooner or later. No one is 100% all the time.

Rockets experience variance in the playoffs - they played poorly in the 1st, have exceeded expectation in the middle, then played just average in the end. We should be thankful we are not the low variance Lakers (four succeeding low variance expectations met).

Jeremy Lin's minutes in the playoffs are so small for him to be considered not worthy of the Rockets uniform. Small sample size always yield high variance. It just so happen that Lin was below expectation at those minutes.

Remember: Lin is a high variance player that has strings of double digits (above expectations), strings of hitting his mark (just average), and also moments when he failed to meet the expectations.

Yes, the mark of an All-Star player is having a low variance (high expectations met most of the time), but know this: bad players also have low variance (low expectations always met).

We should be thankful that Jeremy Lin is high variance in his first full season, because it means that there is still room for improvement. He might just improve next season to be at least a moderate variance player.

2. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Lin has gotten better all year long and he will be better next year. I like Beverley and Brooks but anybody that believes they are in the same class as Lin are just fooling themselves.

3. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

He has certainly improved his 3 point shooting this season and it would definitely be better after a summer of intensive practice. It would also help if one of the PFs mature or a big man that's good offensively is signed. Oh, and Asik getting better at catching the ball.

4. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I would like to see us sign a PF to a short contract and still give our young guys a chance to develop.

As far as Asik goes yes he needs to catch the ball better but just look at the great improvement he has made on that since the beginning of the year,all the difference in the world. I know it sounds funny but I think he needs to learn how to basic juggle for his hand eye coordination, I really think it will help him catching balls. I used to play a lot of bb and I learned to juggle even though it wasn't related to basket ball and I already had good hands they became even better from the juggling exercise.

5. kastuul

kastuul Member

Lin has played 82 games with avg 32 minutes, Bev's avg is 19 mins and he didn't play for the whole season.

It enables Bev has more energy, as well as AB0 and Garcia.

Dragic and Lillard are also the same case. Their stats was declining.
    It happens for anyone who are first year as a starter, including Harden and Asik.

Lin's FT was struggling but his D was really good at the beginning of season.

Therefore, it is very optimistic that our starters will be more consistent next season.

6. kastuul

kastuul Member

FIXED : Lin's FG%, not FT.

7. RealLife

RealLife Member

8. Roxlove

Roxlove Member

When it is another player we talk about, we can be honest and just blame the individual for not putting their all in, or for just not being good enough to roll with the big boys.
    But when it is Lin we are talking about, it seems like we need to come up with excuses and after excuses. Why this double standard? Let us hold him to the same standards as everyone else, or else I think it is blind adoration. Thanks.

9. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

10. calcium

calcium Member

I think the future is v bright for the Rockets, assuming the team doesnt get nuked this off season.

I think there is lots of upside for all the players, esp Lin, Smith and Jones, them being so so young.