1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Top Player Acquisition Targets/Changing my signature

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Mar 15, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Even leaving aside whether he's worth that money (I think he is), why does it matter in relation to our salary cap? He's only under contract for next season, and if we send out Martin + Patterson for him, we have the same cap situation as we started out with. Amnesty Scola and you can sign D-Will if he's willing to come play for us. If he's not willing to come play with us, there is no free agent worth max money available so again, it doesn't hurt us.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Al Jefferson absolutely has a midrange jumper.

From 15-18 feet he is money, and certainly accurate enough to spread the floor for another low post big, in my opinion. He takes a lot of these types of jumpers with the Jazz, especially when Favors checks in and goes inside.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, so it's a lateral move.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

A lateral move which upgrades the team, since we have a glut of wings and no big man who can consistently score in the low post. I don't really understand your argument.

5. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

re: jefferson. OP needs to do some research on players other than what he sees them do against the rockets in order to make a halfway cogent assessment of their abilities and skills.

6. jopatmc

He's overpaid. He's another one-way player. He has no impact on the defensive end. And his offense from the C/PF spot is like Aaron Brooks from the perimeter. The ball going through the hoop looks nice. But the bottom line is he uses a lot of possessions (like Brooks) and doesn't get enough out of them because he doesn't go to the line and knock down FTs.

He's making slightly less than the max. He's not a substantial upgrade. He's just another change out from what we got going on. We already got one-way players in Scola and Martin. We need two-way players, players that will D it up and give you efficient offensive play on the other end. He does none of that. He takes up a lot of possessions and doesn't give superstar or even all-star output with those possessions he uses.

He would not make us better. I don't think he's on Morey's list of "wants", except maybe down at #71 or something.

7. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

I would also add Roy Hibbert, a RFA this summer, to the list of players Morey will definitely make a pass at. Chances are Indiana re-signs him, they have managed their cap space almost perfectly and are among top 5 in cap space this summer (with us, incidentally), but like M. Gasol, Morey will none-the-less try.

8. jopatmc

No. He's not a difference maker either. Just a place holder. Chuck Hayes punked him every time we played them. Hibbert is just a tall gangly player, worth about $35 million over 5 years but he'll probably get $70, then get traded in a year or two because he's overpaid, then when his contract expires and he's not so young and everybody realizes his potential is just basically taking up space and providing length in the paint, then he will get paid appropriately. I seriously doubt Morey would be interested in him with the kind of money some stupid GM is going to offer him.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I could agree with your post except for Montiejunas. There is a high probability (but not a certainty) that we already have our future PF. With his low post moves and his range. few PF's will be able to handle him. Added 20 lbs of muscle and improved rebounding. OK I am sounding like all those Morris fans that I constantly make fun of. Sorry.

10. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

I really, really doubt you watch games other than Rockets games at this point. Hibbert is an excellent rebounder (9.2/gm) and shot blocker (2/gm, is prone to unleash the block party at times), shoots a high percentage, and plays solid post defense. Gangly players get bullied and he does not get bullied in the post.

Also, chuck 'abuses' a handful of players, granted, but who else abuses them? Take Griffin: Chuck was excellent at defending him, but does that make him some scrub? Absolutely not. Basketball is all about matchups, and Chuck happens to be a bad matchup for some players (namely Garnett, Stoudemire and Griffin).

Hibbert is the two-way player you lust after via your criticism of Jefferson, but really, you just have an arbitrary and silly vision of what a good player is.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm more optimistic about Motiejunas than ANY of our other young assets, but I still don't by any means think he's a sure thing to develop into a star-level big man. I also think his time frame may be more like 2-3 years before he reaches his potential, whereas this is a roster built to have an elite big man slotted into it right now.

RE: Jefferson's efficiency, I agree it's not his strong suit, but it's not nearly as bad as you suggest. His efficiency is aided greatly by the fact that he rarely turns the ball over. So even though he doesn't shoot a super high percentage, it's made up for by him wasting 1 less possession per game than, for example, Pau Gasol--who doesn't even shoot that much higher a percentage than Jefferson anyway.

Jefferson is also a good rebounder, and he's not a complete negative on the offensive end. He'll block a few shots and he doesn't get outmuscled easily. His main problems are effort level and lateral quickness.

12. jopatmc

LOL. If you only knew how much basketball I watch. LOL

Watch what happens to Hibbert in the playoffs.

Good night.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Meant to write "he's not a complete negative on the defensive end".

14. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Well you must be blind or not watch the Pacers play (I do, very fun team to watch) because Hibbert is a great player, and was an all star this year. Some may call that an empty accolade, but he was selected by the coaches after all, who have a better understanding of the game than fans do.

15. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

What about Martin, Bud, and the Dallas 1st (if Dallas finishes outside the top 20) for Deandre Jordan in the offseason? If Nick Young doesn't work out, then they may try going with K-mart especially since his contract will be expiring. The pick will allow them to draft a center (most likely Fab Melo) in Jordan's place. Martin and Mo's expiring contracts would allow them to hopefully sign Griffin and Paul back to he max money they will get.

Jordan learning under McHale for a full offseason could learn some things under McHale and he would certain help with ticket sales.

16. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Question is, with all the team that have the cap space, will they want to come here? Rockets have the least committed salary but very close are Suns, Celtics, Mavs.

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

It works if they've already got their guy and need a compiment to him. Remember next year he'll be an expiring.

18. jopatmc

Yes, and as an expiring he has some trade value. Trade value is not court value though. I am basing my player acquisition targets on players Morey wants to acquire and keep, not acquire and flip.

19. jopatmc

Well.....Deandre needs to get a lot better to be considered an upper echelon big man. First of all, he has no offensive skills. Only the dunk shot off pick and roll. He can't pass, can't create, can't put the ball on the floor. Can't shoot FTs. He still fouls way too much and he's in his fourth season. He does block a shot occasionally and he is intimidating but his D is severaly lacking against good bigs. He is actually probably slightly overpaid.

I don't think he will ever develop his offensive game. If he doesn't, he's essentially another one-way player. I do think he will improve his defense and become another version of Camby/Deke et al. And he might be worth having if you've got a starting PF that is all-world on both ends. Perhaps Blake will get there.

So, really, to trade for him as your anchor.....doesn't make sense to me. We need an anchor. We need a starting 2-way big that can be the focal point of what we do offensively, that can post up, that can step out to the high post and pass the basketball, that can hit his FTs or at the very least is such an offensive threat that the opponents pile up fouls and put us in the bonus because they are fouling him instead of giving him dunks (Dwight), that can board and defend without fouling out. Deandre ain't all dat. Never will be. He's a nice complimentary player.

20. jopatmc

Yes, it possibly works in that scenario. But remember, we're still trying to get the "guy". That's what my list is all about.