1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Morey's Own Words] Why Did the Rockets Fire Kevin McHale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nick_713, Apr 17, 2016.

1. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Seems like the notion now is that we want McHale back - and what a mistake it was to fire him.

Is John Blair that terrible lol

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They do if the players think the philosophy is whack.

DD

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Extremely one dimensional, monotonous

4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Which there is absolutely no proof of this. And if they did think it was whack, don't you think they would have abandoned it?

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You know you are right.... Josh Smith just despises having his hand forced to shoot so many threes.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its fair to say that the locker room was due to combust due to the design that Morey put together with his roster, but putting locker room blame on Morey without any proof at all is just utterly ridiculous.

And Morey put together a roster that 99% of us would have been thrilled to receive 4 years ago. Maybe one less Corey Brewer & one more Shane Battier type but overall its a roster most of us would have been thrilled to receive.

But it doesn't take a Rocket scientist to realize the combustible personalities that could lead to a season like this one. However I think most of us would have anticipated some off court drama and maybe a trade request from Dwight... We probably wouldn't have predicted a 41-41 season with such poor effort.

This team has the talent to have no excuses for being under 48 wins without massive injuries. This is on the players even though yes Morey deserves some criticism as does everyone in the organization.

7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Going from the likes of Rudy, JVG, and Adelman to McHale and Bickerstaff has been a dispiriting experience. I hope the next hire is a widely respected head coach and a true leader of professional athletes.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes - agreed - I also agree with the posters who say that it was mainly Harden not wanting to be held accountable.

But:

This. Firing McHale because he lost the locker room, particularly Harden, is something that one could argue is an understandable decision.

But to then promote the defensive coach to head coach, when defense is one of our main problems, doesn't make any sense. And when it is clear that lack of accountability is another problem, you cannot cater to those who do not want to be held accountable, and give them someone who clearly is not in a position to discipline them if necessary.

I don't blame Les and Morey for firing McHale. I blame them for promoting Bickerstaff, and for announcing at the same time that he will be coach until the end of the season, no matter what. The team has not gotten better one bit since McHale was fired. There is no identity or game plan. No single player has made a step forward under Bickerstaff. Rotations are random. Players who continue to underperform continue to get big minutes. It's a mess.

And that's on the front office. Nothing else. But once our season is over, we need to find a real coach. Thibodeau would be the right guy, if he is willing to do it.

9. basketballholic

You are showing your ignorance. Harden is the superstar. Harden is the leader. Harden controls the ball, distributes it, turns it over, and then doesn't dig defensively. To ignore how selfish harden has been this season is foolish. He's the primary culprit. Because what Harden says and does effects all the other players. Not what Dwight does. Because Dwight isn't the locker room leader and on-court leader. Harden is. Again, you're showing your ignorance here by blaming Dwight and absorbing Harden. Harden is the primary reason this team ran amuck.

10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

For the thought that Morey had control of the locker room when McHale was here, that's false.

Teams don't work that way.

The coaching staff and players are the families that either thrive or plummet. Kevin could do many things, but creating a cohesive identity among superstars was beyond his capabilities.

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Will never know how McHale who's a players coach would have finished this season, but I don't think he would have pulled DMO from the starting lineup for Brewer first game of the playoffs. I could be wrong but my gut tells me McHale would have had this healthy team finishing at a higher seed than 8th.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hah - touche' I guess not ALL the players then.

DD

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

One of the few times I totally agree with you. Well said.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

GMs losing locker rooms isn't a thing.

"I'm gonna gain 30 pounds and stop playing hard because I don't believe in Morey's approach." -James Harden

15. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The believed that fluke WCF appearance and nobody (coaches/players) improved upon their game during the break. James got fat kicking it with the Killer Kardashians! No improvement from D12, Ariza, Brewer (afraid of weight lifting), Jason Terry got older, if Kobe is done at 38 why isn't Terry... Pat Beverly is still a suspect shooter.

Bad contracts to Brewer and Beverly.

My last advice is to JBB, no more Terry or Brewer, they are done. Give KJ and Montrez a shot. Young hungry players. They will defend, rebound, and hustle, we have other people to score.