1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Options on draft night

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by valorita, Jun 20, 2010.

1. valorita

valorita Member

While the Rockets did not make the playoffs this year (we would never have made it far anyways), we have been given chance at lottery talent in the 14th pick of the draft. For this year's draft, various members of the organization have said that the chances we will remain at their current draft position is 50/50. With that being said, what are some of the possible move up/down scenarios come draft day?

I'll start:

(UP) Clippers #8 for Chase Budinger + Houston #14
    This could be an option if both W. Johnson and Aminu are off the board for the Clippers who are in need of a SF for their roster. Giving up Chase seems like a deal breaker for the Rockets, but if someone likes G. Monroe slips, then it might be worth a shot to move up.

(DOWN) Oklahoma #21 & #26 for Houston #14
    Our current draft position is a little awkward because after the first 2-3 talent tiers, the players in this draft that are projected to go from 15-25 have pretty much similar potential. This type of move down scenario could happen if none of the guys that we've targeted at 14 fall to us or we believe that we can draft the player that we like at #21 and get a bonus pick as well. For Oklahoma, they can move up to nab a front court player in a PF heavy class.

Moving away from draft thoughts, Morey's team building philosophy has been to accrue assets in talent and future draft picks until you find the right buyer and trade them in for the "all-in". I think that either this year or next, we'll see that all-in type of move.

Anyways, what do you guys think are potential trade up/down scenarios?

2. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Member

I wouldnt trade budinger he has too much potential, especially not for the 8th pick.

3. Egghead

Egghead Member

I highly doubt Greg Monroe slips down to #8.

4. valorita

valorita Member

I understand your sentiment.
    However, the point of the trade would not be in the 8th pick, but more of who might be available with that pick. For example, if D. Cousins was available at 8 would you still not want to trade Chase and #14?

5. valorita

valorita Member

Rudy Gay slipped to 8.
    I remember he was a surefire top 5 pick in '06.
    Stranger things have happened (Minn picking all their pgs)

6. Egghead

Egghead Member

Again, that's a big IF. Joe Dumars likes Cousins alot, he wont get pass Detroit @ #7.

7. valorita

valorita Member

At this point, EVERYTHING is an if.
    Tell me what you are sure about?

8. Egghead

Egghead Member

At this point, I'm sure the top 4 will be

1. Wall
    2. Turner
    3. Favors
    4. Wes Johnson

9. Pocket Rockets

I am not sure if Morey wants to commit guaranteed money to 2 first rounders. Decent options you've thought of though.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well rumor has it that Philly(#2) and Minny(#4) want to keep their picks. Plus, G. State may not want to trade Randolph and may want to keep their pick as well. I beleive the change of minds started when teams like Dallas, San Antonio and Cleveland started trying to buy picks so they could move up. It's not looking like we will be able to move up, but instead of trading down, why not just keep #1 and buy picks in the late first, second round. After all this is a deep draft. Use that #14 to get Whiteside. They must get Whiteside, he is starting to remind me of Garnett. :eek:

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Sorry meant to say keep the #14.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Cousins won't get past #5.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

#13 DaDakota, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  14. valorita

valorita Member

I think you're right about the guaranteed money.
    Maybe Morey will try to hi-jack the player that Bucks want the pick right after us, and then trade that player for #15 + #37.
    That is like the tacobell 3 items for 2 dollars deal...

Although, it could backfire and we end up getting stuck with a player that we don't really want.

15. valorita

valorita Member

Because I believe that Budinger's ceiling is about the current level of Rudy Gay~ an athletic scorer that would be a 3rd option on a contending team.
    If a guy that has potential to be a 2nd best option is available at 8, would you trade up? That is my point.
    As for Chase's potential, I'm sure we all differ somewhat, but I don't think many of us truly believe he will be more than a fringe all-star player at his best.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

UH-OH!! Here comes DD! :)

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Dude, if the thread is the same, I am dropping the knowledge....everyone is willing to just toss aside the best rookie we have had in Houston since Yao Ming.

And I am dropping the hammer on perspective. He is a ROOKIE...his stats as a rookie compare to soooooo many players......

People that think he has peaked or this is all he will ever be, are forgetting that rookies improve.

Chase is going to improve a LOT !!!

Rudy Gay's stats per 48 minutes his rookie year:

19.3ppg 7.9rpg 2.3apg 3.2tpg

Chase Budinger's stats per 48 minutes his rookie year:

21.4ppg 7.2rpg 2.9apg 1.4tpg

MYTH BUSTER EXTRODINAIRE....DD !!!!

DD

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

why it has to be all bout bud with you?

19. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

wtf? its always better to make the playoffs than not.. so i guess u are one whos ok with mediocrity, thats sad.. u contracdict ur belief and defeat the whole purpose of being in the lottery by movin back.. u trade further up with prospects such as Bud, JT/#14 etc not trading down, unless u come across a desperate GM THEN u take advantage of him with his pants down

20. Raven

Raven Member

Exactly. Why trade a player who's value is only going to increase?