1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's FA acquisitions?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nero, Jun 29, 2010.

1. wurldbefree

wurldbefree Member

sarcasm doesn't translate to text that well, so between that and my lack of sleep, am i reading these posts correctly? ? ?

is this bad humor or do some of these morons really think we owe the Sac all 1st round picks through 2015 for RonRon?

What was the PatPat news conference for, just a PSYCH, "We were just BULLLLS%$#ing, we have to send him to Sac now, sorry bout your luck, but hey we got out of the first round, yippee"

Your Fired, turn in your login and go root for the Mavs

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

back to the hangout!

there's obviously nothing worth my time here.

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Well, it's a shade better then ranting about losing draft picks that we never traded in the first place.

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

OP: Welcome to 2008! I advise you sell your BP and Toyota stock in about a year.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We gave up too much for a one year rental....I understand the swing for the fences move, but at the end of the day....the trade is at best a lateral move, and IMO, turns out to be a dud.

DD

6. Nero

Nero Member

No, believe me, no mocking intended at all.

And I am glad that we have not done what some other teams have done - ie 'salary dumps' in order to clear cap space to *maybe* pick up a FA, such as NY etc.

True, I did not know we had been in THAT bad a cap space the entire time, and yes, Morey has done wonders.

It was just curiosity.

I guess my point was, expect some kind of move, but expect it to come via a S&T - which then meant that all this attention focused solely on Free Agents is probably the ideal situation in which for Morey to work his magic, as a trade will not limit him to only looking at the expensive 'big name' guys. That's all.

No mocking, definitely.

7. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

i think at the end of the day, it helped us land ariza. so i dont think it was a waste.

plus that 7 game series against the lakers was classic. without ron, we would have been out in 4 or 5 most likely.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I really like sasha kahn for some reason. I wonder if the rockets can get his rights back

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Good point but this is why I wondered out loud why Morey simply didn't let MeMac expire. That should have put them under the cap. Instead, he took back salary for Jefferies & Hill. Jeffries is dead weight and Hill is a project player who was a lottery player that didn't pan out. I also HATED the deal for Artest as Donte Green would look good in red right about now. Truth be told, this team's legacy of stupid player evaluation, drafting and signing may just be too much for Morey to overcome wizard or no wizard.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

IIRC, If we did get below the cap, it would've only been by about $8 M or so, if that much.

That trade landed us Kevin Martin, who's better than any player you're going to get for $8 M. It also landed us a potential lottery pick and a player selected in the lottery last year.

It's not like we would've been major players in free agency if we'd let TMac's contract expire. We'd still have to do a sign and trade to land a player like Bosh, Johnson, or Amare. Morey knew this which is why he made a deal.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

If only all trades can be done with 2-year-in-the-future 20/20 hindsight....

Which means, Morey needs to devote all his energy to building the FlashForward machine, not number crunching. :)

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

LOL - I know.....I still think it was the right move at the time, but sometimes you have to review the trades a couple of years later to truly understand their ramifications.

DD

13. Nero

Nero Member

Did this thread get merged with another one? Or is the wait for midnight finally making me hallucinate?

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, this was the first post of a different thread.

I have no idea why these two threads got merged.

15. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Good post. The move was a win win for present and future. I was a huge Landry fan, but Morey took the step he said he would by replacing him through the draft.

16. HillBoy

Kevin Martin, Jordan Hill and Jeffires. My oh my! I'll bet that trio has the Lakers' collective hands shaking as they get fitted for their 2010 championships rings. And the mere thought of Aldeman + Scola + MiniMe (Brooks) + Battier + Bosh (who'll commute from Miami) has to strike fear in all the other NBA teams.

17. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

Didn't pan out for the freakin' Knicks. Mike D'Antoni doesn't trust rookies, Hill was a victim of that. We got a lottery player, who has undeniable potential and has shown flashes of what he might become. I'd say he did pan out well - most of the experts and fans expected him to be a filler. He is clearly much more than that. Morey got us into a win-win situation with him.

18. HillBoy

You, sir, are 100% correct: Mike D'Antoni is a known hater of dreadlocks. Why I have it on good authority that he even hates the island of Jamaica for that very same reason...

I'm actually OK with Hill just as long as he doesn't flash anyone while sitting on the bench.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Step away from the pipe.

20. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

We clearly should have let McGrady expire, forfeit our MLE and gain about $8 million in cap space. Sure we would lose Martin, Hill, and the draft picks, but hey I'm sure you could convince Lebron to sign for $8 million.
    :rolleyes: