1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Dwight Howard Package

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Agreed. Earlier, i just actually tweeted Jason Friedman and asked about how it would hinder Morey if Orlando doesn't hire a GM soon.

OT: Hope you could re-follow on twitter so we could all monitor this situation and essentially be up to date. Thanks

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

"Hi. I'm a superstar NBA player. Man, screw winning. I want to come to Houston... where losing is a trend and apparently the locker room is full of issues. Also I love the idea of playing for a rookie coach and management that is always looking to trade my ass."

NO. We are not getting Lebron or Dwight.

3. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Completely agree with the GS point... The Lakers however will not trade both Gasol and Bynum for Howard and his recently injured back, also the extensions would be a huge hang up regarding Bynum/Orlando and Dwight/LA... Portland would require an extension at that price, interesting idea but I do not see that.....

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

My ranking of Rockets assets at this instant (good until the draft is over) is

Lowry
    D-Mo
    Parsons
    14th
    16th
    Dally's contract

Pick 5 and that is probably what the Magic really want for Howard. If Turk is added pick 4 (2 of them out of the first 3) and add in Scola. And that is a big big hurt to the Rockets asset depth. By this time next year it could all be gone. Except for Turk.

5. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Hello Dwight! I'm the new Magic GM. Honestly, i could care less what you think or prefer but this time around, we're cashing in. Good riddance!

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

LAC - blake is the most profittable player in the league, im havin a hard time finding anyone close except rose or durant... if you think he hasnt helped on ticket sales and merchandise sales your crazy... if it wasnt for lob city and all his ridiculous dunks they woildnt be on espn all the time... if theyre not on espn all the time, theyre tv contract sucks...

GSW - the only team as aggressive as us when it comes to rental... gsw have the 6tv market? I wonder what ours is than cus it has to be better... we are a farr farr larger market than gsw in both basketball terms and realworld terms... why would dwight play there yet not here? If you think bogut this year and 2014 pick is landing hin your lost... you would lose players from that supporting cast you spoke of, easily any two of the three beidrins,lee,thompson... were is the supporting cast? Besides why would gsw trade the 2014pick when they know if dwight leaves after the rental theyll be a bottom team thus landing in top5 picks that year, possibly #1... no ones trading that type of pick for a rental...

Lakers - first youd have to resign sessions, which doesnt seem so likely given how he flamed out in the playoffs.. than in orlando jameer would have to opt in, although all reports suggest that hell opt out... than after that your think the lakers will trade not one but both of theyre talented all star big men for dwight? Lets compare dwight is better than bynum but not by as much as he uses to be... gasol is 5miles better than hedo... ao your suggesting trading two star caliber big men for a slight upgrade and take on a horrible contract even tho thier in luxury cap hell???? Suuuree theyll do that.../sarcasm

Portland - first off it would take more than two picks babbit and crawford to obtain dwight... but for the sake of the arguement lets assume portland could put together a package enticing enough to land dwight without losing lemarcus(highly doubt it) would portland risk it all on a dwight rental? They are clearly rebuilding and did a pathetic tank at the deadline... doesnt seem to me its in thier plans... highly unlikely in my mind...

Were are all the realistic options?

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

It's really hard to rank our assets since they are going to be traded in some sort of package. For instance, it is most likely that Lowry is packaged with either lottery pick(s) or other talent to match salaries, etc.

I look at it this way.

For a team wanting to rebuild with youth.....I rank our assets like this:
    Lowry, #14, Motie, Parsons, #16

Now if a team is looking for a salary dump, then our assets are rated in this order:
    #14, #16, Dally, Martin, Lowry

And if a team is looking to make a trade and break up their superstar into multiple good parts (Lakers) to compete for a championship then our assets are rated in this order:
    Lowry, Scola, Parsons, #14, #16

8. Third eye

Third eye Member

You're right....what head case do they want is true question?

9. BigMaloe

The lakers wont take back hedos contract... orlando wont trade dwight qithout hedo going out... it would get orlando noehere as he is also expiring

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Because if Dwight doesn't come, that's going to happen? Look at the last several years - Les wants nothing to do with tanking, and stud franchise centers don't typically fall to #14.

If we deal big to get Howard and he DOES leave..you know what will happen? We'll end up losing and getting the best draft pick we've had in over a decade.

If we do things Les' way (without Howard), we'll make the playoffs (barely)....and our pick goes to NJ.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Take ur fan glasses off and think clearly. Why wouldn't la take hedo's contract? Its for 2 more yrs and he's still a solid. Nelson,howard,and hedo=39m which is the same amount bynum,gasol,and sessions. It matches up perfect and it keeps orlando in contention while they rebuild. For la, its a no brainer. They would address their next superstar while competing right now.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2011/03/nba-market-size-numbers-game/

If u click the link, it will show u that sf/oak area is 6 and houston is 10, but its only by 3-4ook of people. What that means for gsw is they can charge more money for local tv and radio which means they can generate more revenue. More tvs,more revenue,more exposure off the court for howard.

In terms of portland, if winning is what he really wants to do in the end, they are the best fit for both clubs. Why do I say that? They have the 2nd best pf in the game in L.A. who is 24-25. They have #6 & #11 in this yrs draft. It just so happens one of the best 15 players in the league is a free agent and best friends with ur stud pf. Oh yeah, allen is the richest owner in sports. Right now, they have 34m on the books before renouncing jj hickson.That would drop them to 30m. They could offer williams 4yr deal starting @ 14m and now they still have 11m of cap room. Crawford has 1more yr @ 5.5m and babbit makes 1.5m. Dwight makes 19m. Crawford,babbitt,#6 & #11 for howard. Tell me why orlando wouldn't take that deal?

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Nice break down. I have really focused on draft value. I will read your post again so that I can assimilate like the BORG. ;)

13. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

How would the Lakers be able to absorb both Dwight and Hedo's contract?

14. leebigez

www.shamports.com

According to shamsports, hedo,howard,and nelson =39m
    Gasol,bynum,and sessions = 39m

Gasol and hedo both have 2 yrs left. Nelson,sessions,bynum,and howard have just this yr. Its really pretty easy and makes sense. Now pat williams have been through this 2 times with shaq and mcgrady and both times they have played it out with one yr competing for the playoffs. Gasol,bynum,session,richardson,anderson,jj reddick is a top 4 team in the east,maybe even 3. They could resign bynum,let sessions go,and have a 19m expiring in gasol,plus their pick. For lakers, they get of course howard and nelson is in his last yr of his deal. Hedo has 2 yrs. They could amnesty artest and drop their lt hit or use nelson as cap relief and save 8m if that's the goal for them. Nelson,bryant,hedo,? @ pf,and howard is a top 2 or 3 team in the west. Or la could just do bynum,sessions,artest, for howard and hedo and the amnsesty gasol and they would be under the lt.

15. BigMaloe

Ok im not wearing homer glasses because i could argue.against houston as well they just seem to be best fit... im just argueing.all teams... ok ill give you the tv market thing you brought up, but does thay include galveston, corpus christi and other soitheast teams that support rockets? Gsw has two big cities next to each other and are joined.in one market, yet houston is alone... i live outside.tomball and probably isnt considered in the tv market... besides that...

You obviously didnt listen to why i said la wont take hedos contract, they are in luxury tax HELL... they are trying to cut.salary... hedo is still decent? I must have missed that memo because it sure doesnt look like it...

Why wouldnt trade.with your portland suggestion? Because there is no talent! Its essentially 2 draft picks for dwight... woils portland be able to sign deron with both hedo and dwight on thay roster... doesnt seem that way at all... you arent sending out enough salary to brimg them in and sign dwill... oh yea dwill signs for 14mill???!?!?!?!? Idc if his.mom and dad played on the team, he doesnt sign for that cheap... portland would have to offer up more talent for sure... theyd also have to shed or send out more salary to have any chance at aigning dwill... theyre at 30(if they drop jj hickson) your sending out 6/7mill and bringin in 33/34 mill... thats 30 +aroind 25/26mill landing at 55/56 mill how do you signin dwill?

On a side note one of dwights best friends is c.lee...

The team with the best chance to land dwight via trade is the team willing to risk the.most, and thay seems like us... gsw is right next us...

In FA dwight will sign with whoever has dwill(if they have caproom) or whoever trades for him...

16. BigMaloe

It seems perfect except for the fact that sessions is a FA... Jameer seems ready to opt out... the new and younger buss LOVES bynum... they are trying to get out of bad contracts and salary cap hell...

Nelson
    bryant
    hedo
    ???
    Howard
    Is not a top 2/3 team in the west....

Bynum
    gasol/anderson
    richardson
    Redick
    Sessions
    is a top 4 team in the east but they are already that.. so ita lateral

But ive already said if lakers send out bynum AND take in hedos contract no one compares, them getting gasol is especially good... but im not looking at orlando on this potwntial trade partnering im looking at LA... its like your not reading what i type or your ignoring it... i dont see why in the world lakers would send out 2 allstar bigs for one allstar big (who is better than each, but not better than both together) AND take in a horrible contract... who the hell qould play PF??? It makes no sense for la to give up on bynum and decimate theyre already shiitty depth... its not in lakers best interest at all...orlandos sure, but not LAs...

17. leebigez

From what I understand, tv market is within a 50 or 75 mile radius. Even if u think about it that way, from houston you could use bmt area too and conroe area. Even then, its less people than sf/oak area. So let's move on from that and I will get back to dynamics of a trade.

If I were the gm and I know howard is gonna leave after the season, I'm going to want 1 or 2 things in return. Either I get young talent and picks ( williams for favors and 3 1st rd picks) or players and dump salary. If this is my objective, how can u say portland with 6 & 11 isn't a great package? Plus the young player and an expiring to boot. Plus playing along one of the best ,young pfs and the chance to get williams? Oh yeah,the richest owner in sports. Say what u will about williams not taking 14m,but lebron and bosh both did it to play together and win a title. Let's move on to lakers

As we've seen before,they only care about titles,not luxury tax. That being said,session hasn't opted out yet and I doubt he does considering the market right now. I believe they would take hedo and his 2 remaining to get howard. Again, say what you will,but I would take kobe,nelson,hedo,howard,and whoever plays the 4 over every team in the west except okc. They were a 3rd seed this yr despite the coaching change and the flaws in their team with gasol sulking. I would take gasol and bynum in the east over every team in the east except miami and maybe chicago and I'm not sold on them with rose being hurt.

18. delishman

delishman Member

Would be surprised if the Lakers part with Bynum and if they do.. they aren't giving up Gasol either.

If Deron Williams agrees to go to LA then possibly they would give up both. No way are they giving up both and taking Turkey Glue back.

Sessions is also a FA.

19. Showtyme11

Showtyme11 Member

But I think Sessions also has a player option

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The Howard situation is getting real tricky. Martens must be prepared to act as GM if they don't get a GM in place. Because 3 days after the draft free agency starts and if DWill signs elsewhere then Orlando loses a ton of trade leverage.

If he isn't traded on draft night or a trade isn't agreed to for Dwight before July 1, then DWill's free agency is going to get very interesting.