1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's best draft interview answers via twitter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, May 19, 2014.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Collecting all stars is not the goal. Winning is the goal. I cannot see that he sets a winning tone for the organization with the cavalier comments he makes publicly. Might be OK with stats, but I doubt he's not the leader I want. I want some of you to defend these comments - the coin flip comment, the coaches don't matter comment. I mean do we want our team to leave a close game they lose saying "Oh well, we just weren't lucky today.". When we won championships, we won a TON of close games. Were those just lucky breaks? F*k no, our players had ice in their veins in the clutch and came through. Our coach mobilized these players into something special. But that just doesn't compute in Morey's TI-81. This organization does not have a winning culture, and Morey certainly contributes to it by advertising his ignorance.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't have a twitter account nor really go on twitter. I was under the impression that what Morey tweets is about the same as what anyone else would tweet... except to a much smaller audience. Isn't tweeting about funny stuff they come across at work part of having twitter?

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think, and many will agree with me on this, that "fans" like you are the ignorant ones.

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Oakdogg, taking random comments out of context to latch on to your feelings about Morey using twitter is hardly a cogent criticism. On his worst day, Morey is a solid GM. RC Buford, Pat Reilly and Sam Presti- the best in the business- have all made poor decisions. It's par for the course with anybody in charge of an organization. I think Houston is lucky to have Morey and I like that he is so personable and open to the fanbase.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Does this mean the Rockets had no ice water in their veins before 1993, and were p*****s when they got edged by the Supersonics in 7(one of my first depressing moment as a Rockets fan so I remember it clearly). Then they gained that edge in 94 and 95. Promptly lost it and became p*****s again in year after that?

6. TheJet

TheJet Member

Keep in mind that social media wasn't around in the 90s and has come a long way in the last five years. Back in the day coaches, GMs, owners and even players all had their cliches prepared for press conferences and interviews. Many still do that today. How do we know they didn't have personalities like this? Remember how many people hated Barkley because he said what he was thinking? Chuck was a reporter's dream. I loved his soundbites. If twitter had been around for the Rockets runs what would Rudy T. have tweeted?

Morey is a new breed of GM in more ways than one. Remember all the hell Chad Johnson caught as one of the first major athletes to tweet the things he did? Not an apples to apples comparison I admit but it's the idea.

7. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

That's gold, Jerry! Gold!

8. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Can you win in today's NBA without an all-star?

9. downbytheriver

He has not - and niether have his fanboys online. It's why you see him cuddling up to the fanbase while being shunned by other GM's in GM of the year polls. Talk about a guy with unlimited player turnover, one brooks trade after another patterson trade, lucking into harden and therefore howard, and still nothing more than first round appearance in his 7 years makes you understand his spam like approach to being liked.

10. TheJet

TheJet Member

So the bad trades are all his fault but the great, team defining trades are all luck. Got it.

11. downbytheriver

morey = a clueless teen who says you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince and ends up being the village bicycle. The 30 or so bad trades are attributed to him. The Harden trade was all about being in the right place at the right time, but I'll give him props for that. It definitely was the sole reason Howard came here so no credit for that. And like that girl kissing all the frogs, morey is gonna keep rubbing shoulders with the media to highlight the dork hype over the lack of substance, such as telling CHandler where to go on the floor to shoot the ball and confusing him into a terrible playoff performance. ALTHOUGH
    ALTHOUGH
    I do not think Parsons is worth more than $5m anyways, and not defensively strong enough to start alongside Harden.

12. oakdogg

Is this a defense of the coin flip comment? I don't see it. Are you saying we lost in 93 b/c Seattle was just the lucky team that year and we were lucky the next two years? I don't get it. Jordan - great career coming through time and time again - funny thing is I don't often hear people comment on how darn lucky he was. I don't want the leader of my favorite sports franchise to exhibit such cluelessness on being a winner.

1 person likes this.
  13. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Do you lead by example or verbally? &quot;I lead verbally, not by example.&quot;</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/statuses/468543832968421376">May 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Did you have any issues with your coach? &quot;Coach and I did not see eye to eye.&quot; On what? &quot;Playing time.&quot; What else? &quot;He was shorter.&quot;</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/statuses/468544272657285120">May 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Did you have any issues with your coach? &quot;He didn't like when I took early shots.&quot; What about when they went in? &quot;Then he liked them.&quot;</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/statuses/468544643224043521">May 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Will sign off with best answer of all time that I tweeted last year as well: Can you pass a drug test? &quot;Today?!?&quot;</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/statuses/468548730430316546">May 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

Beasley!

1 person likes this.
  14. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

I guess we have the new tin man

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Why isn't Murray practicing his free throws?

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Many Rockets fans support this idea that the Rockets were "lucky" to miss Seattle in their first title run. These were fans that existed before Morey was the GM of the Rockets. Are they all idiots?

17. oakdogg

This is actually a good post IMO, and I appreciate the tone. I think the Twitter thing just comes down to two different ways of viewing a bball team: as an organization with one goal - to win the championship or an extension of the entertainment complex that is the NBA. Twitter only furthers the goals of the latter. It does nothing for the former. In my role as a fan, I only care about the former, but that is just me.

I'm more bothered by these comments like the coin flip and coaching ones. I agree with the poster who said DM should be low key this offseason and give the impression that we are all business until the job is done

18. oakdogg

Friend, you know that this does not advance Morey's point. Execution in crunch time is not a coin flip. That is my case. And minimizing the importance of executing in crunch time at the top of an organization does not foster a winning culture

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

In the 1993 WC semi-finals, I watched live as Kenny Smith missed a wide open 3 pointer in game 7 to end the 4th quarter and the Rockets lost.

In the 1995 finals, I watched live as Kenny Smith made a 3 pointer to end the 4th quarter and the Rockets won.

Tell me what happened between the two years that turned Kenny Smith's crunch time execution from gutter level to hero level?

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He never said execution in crunch time is a coin flip, he said game deciding shots were. One of the reasons he loves Chris Paul for example, is because usually (not always...see game 5) he's so exceptional down the stretch that his teams get a significant + points over the period.