1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Best Deadline Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 10, 2015.

1. thevirus

thevirus Member

So,who will come to us in this year?
    I hope is someone we need...like dragic...

2. coffeelover665

wow forgot about tony douglas. Is he still in the league?

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sergio Rodriguez seems like he could mount a successful NBA comeback.

4. malakas

malakas Member

Very nice informative thread. From all these it seems even more inevitable a trade happens by the tradeline and it illustrates Morrey's genius. Esp the Tmac trade.

5. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

In hindsight all of these deal were terrible. But in the context in which they were made, they ALL improved our team at the time.

6. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Lowry. Followed closely by Martin.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Definitely the Lowry deal. The Kevin Martin one wasn't bad either. Both of those helped us eventually land Harden. I also really liked the Bobby Jackson trade. Had Yao not gone down immediately after, we might've benefited from that one a lot more.

The worst ones for me are Brooks for Hamilton, giving up Shane Battier(who helped Memphis upset the Spurs in Round 1 that season), and trading Jordan Hill for the loathsome Derek Fisher who we then cut anyway.

8. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Getting rid of **** douche
    [​IMG]

9. BabySeal

BabySeal Member

Brian Cook /thread

10. MONON

MONON Member

I see what you did there! :cool: You do good work in the wee hours of the morning.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Remember, just because you whiff on a pick doesn't mean that the trade to acquire that pick isn't a good one. For instance, if the Rockets trade Alexey Shved for a lottery pick, that'd be a phenomenal trade by any standard. If the guy they end up picking is a bust, it doesn't make that TRADE any less terrific. Those are two different things.

That T-Mac/Kevin Martin trade was a stroke of genius and is easily the most impressive deadline deal that Morey has made.

After that, the trades to acquire Goran Dragic AND a first rounder and to acquire Kyle Lowry were both terrific, too.

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Has to be the Lowry trade. He was a pretty big reason why that 2009 team made it past the 1st round. If Yao and Dikimbe (and T-Mac) were healthy, I really felt like we had a championship team.

But in actuality, Morey's best trade deadline deal is a combination of the Lowry and Martin trade since those trades gave us the pieces to get Harden.

13. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

This illustrates how ridiculous those are who say "Nothing has even been rumored?" when
    trying to shoot down possible trade targets that are being discussed.

With Morey, there are almost NEVER any rumors prior to him pulling something off.

14. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Lowry, Dragic were not playing well enough at that time...So expect to see unimpressive but potentially good trade from Morey.

15. MONON

MONON Member

1. The 09 3-team trade that netted us Lowery. He became an integral part of our rotation & his later trade led to James Harden.

2. Followed closely by the 10 3-team T-Mac trade. We got Jordan Hill & Kevin Martin in that deal. Hill was a 3-step forward/2-step back project that didn't really develop until after we traded him to the Lakers. Martin was our go-to guy until his trade brought Harden here.

HUMMM! I just realized that the 2 deadline trades I like best, netted us James Harden. Yes, I'm a Harden fan, but not a HOF (heck, I even like Dorsey:eek:).

16. MONON

MONON Member

WOW! I've got to start using more than 2 fingers to type a reply. In the time it took to post my 2 best trades, half a dozen others posted the same opinions! :eek::(

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This is what I get from the list, too. Hard to pull off actual blockbusters at the deadline-- just the way the NBA is, most teams punt those to the offseason. So the best Morey could do are some minor deals for often younger pieces that he likes in terms of potential impact- whether immediate or future-- or minor assets like late 1st round picks.

Some of those players thrive, some not so much (Jordan Hamilton, Thomas Robinson, etc.).

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

1. Martin - paid dividends right away
    2. Lowry - probably the best talent upgrade

DD

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

yeah 2008-09 Lowry was just about to tap into his allstar potential. Scary.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The Lowry deal is probably the best of the bunch. Trading an injured McGrady looked like a coup at the time, but a lot of the assets we got went belly-up. The trade was still a win, but not quite the haul we hoped for. I also want to point everyone's attention to the Marcus Camby trade. He didn't last long, but was pretty effective for awhile and was essentially free.