1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey - Words vs Actions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, May 24, 2010.

1. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

What do you expect with a 6'6 center?

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep.

You have to wonder about the wisdom of gutting the team for a not-quite-max-worthy player (see also: Bosh, Chris; Stoudemire, Amar'e).

Acquiring either player would be the---hmn; let's say the "sexy" move. Get some buzz on the team. Sell some tickets. (I may have just hit on why Les might want such a move: Stoudemire = TV time.)

To actually improve the team? #14 pick, and put into play the 2 picks we get in 2012. See if we can nab Favors, or Cousins, or Monroe (depending on how high we get in the draft).

Although trading for some better defenders in the backcourt would also help.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Are you saying Budinger could be sort of Tom Chambers-ish?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

DING DING DING !!!

If you can get Bosh for Scola and picks or pieces than you do it....

But if you gut other areas of the team, it is treading water.

DD

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Thats a seperate issue.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

To people unable to grasp that we are talking about the entire team instead of just a player by player comparison it is.

DD

7. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Naw man, that was not a player issue, it was a management issue.

On the court and off the court issues are totally separate.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Standing pat is not forward thinking. It's just flat out dumb. A person who grasped the long term view of the situation would want the Rockets to invest in a young talent that would be Yao's replacement -- i.e., trading up for a Cousins or Favors type player.

Standing pat is actually backwards thinking. It's you remembering the Rockets losing game 7 against the Lakers two years ago and thinking that all this team needs is time to "gel" together. As Sam pointed out, your standing pat team missed the playoffs by eight games. Who was the 8th seed team? Oh that's right, the young Thunder -- who are filled with young guys that are extremely more talented than of our young guys. So if you think somehow aging our team another year and bringing in a player who hasn't played in a year is going to make us a title contender, you are mistaken.

Ok, I'll agree that Bosh is not 10x better than Scola. But he is 10x better than Jordan Hill, who in another thread you said should be in our top three of untouchable guys. You are off the meds. Toronto was said to be interested in Hill -- I have not heard Scola's name in connection with them, only Phoenix. So why are you assuming we're adding Bosh at Scola's expense? Why can't it be adding Bosh at Jordan Hill's expense?

The Rockets aren't trading Brooks, Martin, Ariza, or Yao for Chris Bosh. I can just about 100% guarantee that. Like Sam said, every year you pick out your favorite Rockets and make up all this crap about how we can't lose them. It's getting old. Last year you were telling me without Von Wafer this Rockets team would be nothing.. but now suddenly he's a distant memory and Budinger is now the heart and light of your island. Budinger is good, but he doesn't have the mentality to take over games and that's not something you develop. Budinger is best playing off others, not creating for himself. We weren't giving Chase the ball with 5secs left in the game -- we were trying to run him off picks or have Lowry find him in transition. Chase is a good player, but you are massively overrating him which should surprise no one.

1 person likes this.
  9. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with pretty much everything you stated. It's going to be hard to get Toronto to take on both Battier and Jeffries. Hill and the draft picks are what's important for Toronto. I like Hill and I would love to keep him but if you can get Bosh with him, you have to make that move.

My biggest concern with Bosh is can he play at the Center spot? He's not a big fan of playing at the center spot and we need someone that can slide to the center spot during certain stretches. Especially with having Yao Ming on our team.

I think if Houston strikes out on getting an impact player like Bosh or Jefferson, they're primary focus needs to be on getting young cheap players and developing them. We're closer to rebuilding than contending as we stand right now. Sure, we have a strong cast right now but it's not going to do anything if you have to give up half of it up just to get a player. If we can't get a star, Morey must build the team through the draft and through trades. Uncle Drayton doesn't seem to understand that but Morey does. Just adding Yao isn't going to make us a contender. I love the big guy but injuries have robbed him and the Rockets blind.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No they aren't...we are talking about BUILDING a team that can compete for a championship.

You continually try to make it a one for one argument when it is a much bigger picture than that.

It is about the ENTIRE roster, not just one player over another, it is about chemistry, pieces, how do they all fit, do we have quality at every position.

You can't just go out and grab talented pieces and hope they work together....see Pippen, Barkley and Hakeem, or Payton, Malone, Kobe and Shaq......

The way their games fit, is tantamount to success.

DD

11. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Another player that can't play defense. The Rockets will win a lot of championships that way.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Wait what? Wasn't Bosh a shot blocking machine and a lock down defender? Isn't he the 2nd coming of Garnett in his prime?

I mean that is what people are willing to pay him ....

DD

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

As far as Bosh at center goes, I would imagine the Rockets either drafting a Center and/or signing one with the MLE. Brad Miller, etc. could all help fill the middle for us if we land Bosh. I'd prefer to keep CB4 at PF -- I think that's where he's most effective and best able to use his size/length.

I agree with your second point, the problem is we're going to have to make a decision by draft night. We can't even talk to Bosh until after the draft -- which is why I believe Morey will operate on the assumption that he's not adding Bosh. This way, we could hopefully move up and land a young stud in case Bosh doesn't come. Or, in case he does come and Yao goes down again (likely).

Either way, the draft night is going to be more exciting -- perhaps just as much or more than the free agency period will be.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I agree.

DD

15. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

But but anything is boshible!

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yep, true, I would take him for the right deal.

Scola + Ariza + pics works

Scola + Battier and picks etc.

And stop stealing my lines...try to come up with your own creative thoughts....if you can......BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

DD

17. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

Heres everyones chance...maybe deserves a new thread but this is from moreys twitter account.......

dmorey Send your big splash free agency recruiting ideas to ideas@rocketball.com. Out of the box ideas welcome--FA jersey on Sam Houston's statue?

dmorey If we end up using your idea-and he becomes a Rocket-we'll introduce you&a guest to him at a gm this yr in courtside seats from the Rockets
    about 3 hours ago via UberTwitter

http://twitter.com/dmorey

18. verse

verse Contributing Member

While you may not have intended for it to do so, this post came across as extraordinarily megalomaniacal and narcisistic. Under this context, you might as well have just repped yourself. In fact, with HtK's response, you essentially did just that.

You did nothing outside of the "rules" - of that I am certain - but I thought I'd point out to you why some here view you the way they do. Critical thought, creativity, and/or originality should, IMUO (in my unsolicitied opinion), be the rep benchmarks...

#138 verse, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  19. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Ok let's say brooks was hurt instead of lowry. THE ROCKETS DON'T WIN.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I guess that is your opinion of how it should work, thanks for sharing.

;)

Repping you too.

DD