1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey - Words vs Actions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, May 24, 2010.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would love to have Bosh but at what cost is the scary part. I'm not sold he wants to come to Houston either. I can promise you that Morey would have to give up at least 3 pieces of our core.

Houston does need to make a move. Whether it's for now or for the future but Houston needs a young star. I like Brooks but I don't see him as a star. In certain match ups, AB is going to kill certain teams but he struggles against the bigger guards.

I think us banking on Yao is just stupid. I like Yao but he isn't going to be the same player. I have no faith in him being healthy. The best years of Yao have past us by. That's why Morey is working on getting another big. Whether it's Bosh or someone through the draft. No one can count on Yao moving forward. We'll always struggle against the elite teams if we don't get another big. We saw this year what happens when we can't keep the other team off the boards.

I don't have a problem with Morey going after Bosh but I think we'll see more of what's Morey's plans are come draft night. I'm telling you... I wouldn't be surpise if Morey works a deal with Khan for Jefferson on draft night.

2. redhova

redhova Member

Would you do a three way with Dallas and Toronto to try to get Dirk. I think he is a better complement to Yao than Bosh and is more proven in clutch game situations. If Daryl is throwing up a smoke screen I am thinking this is definitely a guy he is after. Draftwise Cousins is good but character issues as well as weight issues to me is not the type of guy he wants. My guess is that's a smoke screen for Greg Monroe a 6-11 a center who plays in a similar system to Rick Adelmans team first style and has lots of passing and dribbling ability can anyone say Chris Weber. Side notes Michael Redd might be a free agent would you give him any of the mid-level exception? Also Yi is likely available.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That was the rumoured deal for Stoudemire. Morey won't give up too much. If the Raptors insist on Brooks, then they wont get the draft picks.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You just can not give up Brooks, he is on the verge of being an all star....

If you have to give up someone, you let Lowry go in a S&T......but you have to keep Brooks...IMO....

DD

5. Nero

Nero Member

Well, hold on a sec.

Remenber, AI got to the finals with himself and Deke, and nothing else of note. Sad for them they ran into Kobe and Shaq, but still... getting to the finals with a slight-framed, undersized point guard surrounded by scrappy role players may not be as impossible as it sounds. Plus, since we are in the West, if we DO make it to the finals, there would be no Kobe and Shaq standing in the way. So I would say our chances are even better, ESPECIALLY given our performance against the Lakers before last year.

6. Mr. Clutch

I don't think we'll give up Brooks. I bet the Raptors would prefer the picks and expiring contracts anyways, since they'll have to go into rebuilding mode.

They might want Chase though...

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I've never really been sold on the idea that Bosh will cost us that much, personnel wise. It's a sign-and-trade, not a regular trade. Jared Jeffries is almost guaranteed to be involved.. I could see Jared Jeffries, Shane Battier, Jordan Hill, and perhaps multiple 1st round picks. That's a fair price, but nothing that cripples our chances at a title.

I know some people love JHill and think he's one of the most important pieces to our team (cough OP cough), but that's just silly. Chris Bosh is already 10x the player Jordan Hill is. There's no guarantee that Hill will continue to develop either -- and he did not show enough potential this season, at least to my untrained eye, to make me believe he has superstar capability. He looks to be a solid role player who could be a help night in and night out -- maybe like a Varejao impact. But nothing I wouldn't trade in a heart beat for Bosh.

I think we're both on board with the idea that standing pat would be incredibly stupid. To me, it would feel like Uncle Drayton telling us he believes this team is a title contender as is -- and then suffer through another disappointing season or playoff exit. The problem with trading for a future star is the lack of immediate impact it will have -- to me, you only trade for Rubio if you're going to rebuild. He's not going to play in the NBA for another year and you'd have to give up some key core pieces just to get him -- Yao/Kmart are not getting any younger and unfortunately both seem to be getting more fragile. I think now is the time to make our move, or start looking at the post-Yao era.

I agree about Yao -- he just took a year off after having MAJOR surgery. People who think we could stand pat, add him and be a contender are disillusioned in my opinion. I'm hoping the Big Fella makes it back, but I can't imagine he'll be anywhere near as effective as he once was. That's why Morey will go hard after someone who can be our first option.. as it stands, we don't have anyone on our team capable of being the first option and leading this team very far.

I would be willing to bet a fair amount that Dirk does not leave Dallas. I think Cuban is too much in love with him to ever let him leave or even swap him with Bosh -- so I think Dirk scenarios are just a fantasy.

Some might, but I don't really believe that Morey uses a lot of smoke screens. Every single guy he's gone after hard as been made public knowledge (Artest; Martin; Gortat; Amare; Bosh; Rudy; C-Lee; B-Roy) -- Aaron Brooks was not the guy they were targetting on draft night. They wanted Rudy Fernandez. But since he wasn't available, they took Brooks. Now people think Morey is some genius who created a smokescreen for Rudy when he really wanted Brooks. No. He wanted Rudy. Brooks was just a nice plan B.

I think Cousins is the most talented, but his character issues are not something I see fitting in well with the Rockets. I'm not sure who else they would go after. The third or fourth pick seems high for Monroe, though I do like him. Either way, you have to think they're going to go with a big man. One interesting thing to keep your eye out for is that Hassan Whiteside has been working out with Hakeem. The connection between the Rockets and Hakeem is obvious, so perhaps he's been whispering about this kids talent level. I really have no idea.

I wouldn't come near Michael Redd .. and I'm not sure any team really would. We have Martin/Yao.. we don't need another suit on the bench. Yi, however, would be a great option but I don't think he's a FA?

8. Houston_Rockets

DD

You said to me you were a smart dude, AB all-star??? Where??? NBA???

You can say that we can't trade AB because then we only have Lowry, despite loving his heart, he is crutial to our second unit, just look at, for example, Budinger stats/ofensive envolvment when Lowry was out

We can only trade AB for a unquestionable PG, but don't say AB is going to be an all-star, just look at Landry, when he was in Houston he was the best player we had this year, atleast he was the more important, now that he is gone some people say that Scola can give more then Bosh (salary per production) and AB is an allstar when in the beginning of the season Landry was our best playing less minutes than al the starters except Hayes, but now that Landry playes in Sac we can see that we is just a slighly above average PF

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

get your alpha dog and then worry about supplementary pieces. don't let the tail wag the dog. (two dog metaphors)

it's much more difficult to obtain the kind of guy who you can ride to a ring. maybe bosh isn't that guy....i'm not sure, honestly. but i don't think we can pretend that we have that sort of player right now.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yeah, I think Bosh is not it, Yao is not it.....and the only thing close to being it on the Rockets is Brooks.....

DD

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If you replace Brooks with Bosh and Lowry you get better results.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No...not even close.....Lowry is not a starter in the league, never has been and unless he learns to shoot.... .397....never will be.

BTW - he plays like VSpan, shoots like him too.

ROFLMAO !!

DD

13. verse

verse Contributing Member

So, we'd need the West to become as pathetic now as the East was then. Next we'd need Aaron Brooks to transform into an MVP player, capable of dropping 40 to 50+ points in any game. As I said before, why search for the miraculous?

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Mmmhmmm - what was the Rockets record without him last year? There's a reason why he has one of the highest +/- on the team.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Worthless stat......

And the team's margin of error was thin, losing ANYONE made a huge difference, IIRC, Trevor was out at the same time....

Come on Sam, quit reaching....

Here, let's compare worthless stats.......

Lowry's FG% was lower than Brooks 3pt percentage.

Or, how did Lowry do in the playoffs exactly, when team's forced him to shoot.....yeah...exactly.

DD

16. MadMax

that's pretty depressing, then.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Perhaps, that depends upon whether you think anyone on the team can develop into the "IT" player.

I think Brooks could.

I think Chase could.

And then you have some interesting pieces around them as well.....in

Hill
    Lowry
    Yao
    Trevor
    Shane
    Scola

And sometimes having good players everywhere with one being the primary guy (Brooks) is better than having one.....sorta Alpha dog (BOSH/TMAC) and a bunch of scrubs.

DD

18. MadMax

wait...am i to understand that you believe that Aaron Brooks and Chase Budinger can develop into alpha dogs on a championship team???

19. Mr. Clutch

Brooks and Budinger are not superstars. Bosh is much closer to that than they are.

20. Houston_Rockets

The hype under AB is just wowing

Was he a great pick??? YES, but pleaseee, don't elevate his game just because he can score

Kevin Martin has more ofensive scoring skills then AB, but why isn't he an all-star??? because he plays NO D, like AB

Don't get me wrong I like having those players, but don't call them GODS

You DD, you hate Ariza, we can all see it in your posts, and my question is why??? The guy is 24, he can defende, he is top stealing guy in the league, he is atletic, limited dribling skills and no touch near the rim, but it was his 1st year when he was asked to do more then shooting the 3 ball like in LA

Everytime someone says to trade battier in some package deal, you throw that "or Ariza" thing, ofensivly, Ariza>>>> Batier ever been

Is he a lebron james??? NO
    He is the guy that will be open when other teams will, underating him, like you do, duble Yao/Bosh, and get punished by him with the 3 pt shot or the fake Dunk in your face (aspect he dind't do in LA)

DM said: there are no untouchables