1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: "We had a fairly large deal (involving picks) but nobody would have focused on that part."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jun 22, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Amazing you guys are reading it this way.

Clutch on Twitter interprets it as probably being Gordon for a future pick.

Think maybe reading too much into it but I don’t know

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  2. macan

macan Member

bring Jimmy home Morey

chievous minniefield and D-rock like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The only deal that makes sense to me would have been sending Gordon to Indiana for #23 and a couple of their partially guaranteed contracts. Morey would have done Gordon a solid and let him go back to his home state and play for the pacers.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Meh, I'm sure it would have involved future picks as well. The word you have to highlight is "multiple"... Since Atlanta is desperate to find an identity and just acquired one of the best shooters in the draft at PG, why not trade for one of the best shooters in the league.

I wouldn't have been surprised if he struck a deal with the Hawks to hoard those picks and wave them in front of Danny Gil's face when Lebron chooses Houston over those two other scrubs.

Everyone makes too much ado about heading home. While, yes, it would be nice... the NBA is a business where you very rarely see a GM, especially one as cerebral and schrude as Morey, throw away a golden opportunity just to do a guy a solid.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Meh, standard post-draft press conference.

"Thought we had some deals lined up, obviously didn't get done but we feel great about who we got where we got them."

;):rolleyes:

BigggReddd, hakeem94, amaru and 4 others like this.
  6. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

LIked just for David Tennant's smug smile.

Bids9 likes this.
  7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

If Leslie Alexander was here.... Morey would have been forced to take another Chinese player.

hakeem94, amaru, Nick_713 and 5 others like this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

James Butler would get us past GS. I'm on board.

9. PatBev

PatBev Member

I would love to have jimmy buckets on the rockets

amaru and mockster like this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If Jimmy Butler is in play, I would love to have him. He can shoot, ISO, and get into the lane. The three man game between him, CP3, and MVP would be sick. He also plays defense and has that CP3 style intensity.

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'd agree that they are the most likely players involved in a potential deal at this point, but that strictly based on what we know thus far, which is a minuscule amount of information compared to what is going on behind the scenes.

12. mockster

mockster Member

For our team and style I think Jimmy Butler is the answer. We avoid the obvious big names and don’t get to much crap for being a “super team” if we land a Lebron. We get somebody that gives it his all, he pretty much becomes our best and most versitle defender.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

But Thibs will never trade away his spiritual son.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think it is obvious here what Morey is saying is Gordon for pick(s).

Basically the "Kyle Lowery" trade. Like when the Rockets traded him to Toronto for that reverse protection pick. The pick that was paramount in the James Harden trade.

If the Rockets were willing to move Gordon for trade chips, I guess they feel good about what is out there for the MLE to replace Gordon as the team's 6th man.

don grahamleone and justtxyank like this.
  15. mockster

mockster Member

Sons* Rose, Gibson and Butler

They are the holy trinity

BHannes2BHonest and DonKnock like this.
  16. mockster

mockster Member

Isn’t gordon honestly a good trade chip?.

I mean if I were a team I would love to have him spec for his contract

17. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

JR is right but I think this is also priming the pump. It is always helpful to let interested parties know you have leverage. He has deals lined up, we will just have to wait and see what materializes. Moneyball was a good example of this.

18. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

I wonder which part of the deal fell through. The picks for Gordon, or the trade of the picks to the team for the targeted player?

19. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Well, Cavs needed and wanted picks for Lebron trade.

If we are indeed trading for King, then Cavs would prefer picks for their rebuilding process.

Either EG with picks or Ryno for Lebron. Heck, we could even get Lebron love for picks EG and Ryno.

20. Sanity2disChaos

Jimmy would probably do best to finally part ways with his only coach he’s ever really had in the NBA. Thibs defensive mindset, IMO, hasn’t given Jimmy the best chance to utilize his offensive potential. He is a guy you don’t have to beg to play defense.Give him a chance to play in a system like Houston with a offensive minded coach and watch him take that next step into super stardom!! I think he is doing himself some injustice by glueing himself to thibs hip.

Harden and Paul would only “Assist” in his climb to Super stardom.