1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Stepping Down!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Captain Hook, Oct 15, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

While Daryl Morey’s decision to step down as the Rockets’ GM surfaced this week, he said that coaching candidates were notified during the interviewing process that he was departing, Kelly Iko and Sam Amick of The Athletic report.

Morey made up his mind nearly a month ago, a day after the team was eliminated from the Western Conference playoffs. Family considerations were the main reason why he chose to leave at this time.

“I mean he just said, ‘You know, I’m kind of just struggling and don’t know what I want to do,’” owner Tilman Fertitta said. “To tell y’all, when we signed Daryl’s last extension, Daryl told me, ‘You know, I’m not going to always be here (and) when my last son graduates (he might leave).’ I was surprised, (but) I wasn’t surprised. He always told me he kind of wanted to go back East one day.”

Head coach Mike D’Antoni decided he didn’t want to remain in the organization on the plane ride home and Morey said all of D’Antoni’s potential replacements were told that he was headed out, as well.

“We’ve been up front with all the candidates that this was coming and they’ve been respectful to not have it get out early,” said Morey, who added that D’Antono’s parting did not impact his decision. “It’s been baked in.”

The Athletic duo, though, said that it hasn’t been quite that transparent. At least two of those candidates were uncertain why Rafael Stone, the executive VP of basketball operations who is replacing Morey as GM, was leading the interviewing process. They were not directly told Morey was going to step down.

Morey had essentially been operating as a consultant the past few weeks, The Athletic confirmed.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/10/rockets-coaching-candidates-knew-of-moreys-decision.html

2. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Morey step down because of the China problem.

3. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

The Athletic is running a promotion where the subscription is just $1 a month - they produce incredible work that is well worth the cost.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

So Tilman claims all the candidates were told yet two candidates claim they weren't told. There is no reason for the candidates to lie, so as always we know Tilman is lying.

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Morey stepped down because he saw the writing on the wall! China had a huge part of it and so did Tilman's sheety executive decisions. We need to help Morey buy the team. It is Dm's team!

HP3 likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey checked out day after team eliminated from Rockets final postseason game.

Coincidence that day before Mike D'Antoni informed him that he would not be returning to Rockets?

Timing is very interesting to say the least.

joshuaao, HP3, ElPigto and 1 other person like this.
  7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I have a feeling those two have something up their sleeves!

D-rock likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Shut up scoop B @J.R.

J.R. likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

ScoopB LOL

Yeah, Morey who told Tilman he was stepping down a month ago stepped down because he didn't get his coach (whether that was Lue or JVG, depending on which "sources" you read)

#689 J.R., Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

BraBra LOL

HP3 likes this.
  11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I think many of you forget Morey was a Rocket. This was his team. They gave him a chance and he ushered in the Harden era at a bargain. Someone like Morey just doesn't walk away from his baby.

I believe Alexander and Morey both realized the era of Harden was over. Alexander cashed in his money cow after selling away the teams future for immediate gains. At this point, Morey realized this rodeo was coming to an end and began his exit strategy with Tilman. (Which im sure was told to Tilman after he bought the team). The CP3 trade was calculated (again, Morey knowing he was going to resigned sooner than later agreed to sell the teams future). The Westbrook trade was likely the final straw. I do think Harden will be traded if not this season, then the next as his guaranteed contact comes to an end. I dont think Morey was entirely ready to bail, but with COVID, it sealed the deal. There is no point for someone like Morey to compete when the future of sports is largely unknown. This was the perfect time for Morey to withdrawal from this dumpster fire and still maintain full integrity.

So no, Tilman didn't force Morey out. Like many, they knew Tilman wasn't going anywhere and they simply were not going to deal with his ****.

12. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

He said that Tillman Fertitta wanted Patrick Fertitta to be the GM of the Rockets. There is no information to support that other than speculation.

Also, I don't know anything at all about Patrick Fertitta. He very well may be pin headed, but he may also be a genius. Do we know anything about him? I'm asking seriously because I've never read anything.

He's apparently gaining experience, so at some point in the future he may actually become an experienced professional. Also, there isn't exactly a regimented "training" to be a professional basketball executive. Our new GM was an attorney that played basketball in college. Again, I know nothing about Patrick Fertitta.

Finally, you're trusting an ESPN podcaster that hates the Rockets for inside information? That's really dumb.

deshen likes this.
  13. hakeemthagreat

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

This does nothing to help you lmfao hahahahhh

“toronto in 5 easy” “they have DD”

reality: swept LOL

[​IMG]

HP3 likes this.
  15. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

This is totally opposite from what been reported.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Exactly. Shut up bra bra

17. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I don't trust a word from Tilman.

malakas, D-rock and Jontro like this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Lol okay bro you tell me, why have your son follow the GM around if that wasnt the case? Not only that he is getting input on big decisions, that is already awful. Follow the logic here. Yea its very speculative but we've heard this many times from different sources. How many other organizations do you hear stuff like this a about.

Hahaha, look at his dad. You think maybe he could very well be a geinus cmon man. Give me a break with this crap.

Yea and there is no guarantee that our new GM is any good, but at least he has some kind of background work, why does a 24 year old pinhead have any say whatsoever, its garbage. Also oh so you are okay with a guy having his son become the GM of our team man??? Miss me with this stuff, its complete nonsense. You know that he's the son of a disastrous owner who's had a key voice in one of the worst Rockets trades ever. Man...enough with this, there is no positive spin here.

Im trusting Cyber X, Tim Macmahon, Kelly Iko, Sam Amick, if it was just Ryan Russillo saying this thats one thing, we have other sources corroborating this. Don't be like that man, look at the facts here.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nope. It isn’t speculation. It’s actually old news, just like the news of tilman being the one who decided to trade for westbrick. Most of us have known that since he told us himself a year ago

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ther-Fertitta-behind-the-Rockets-14058856.php

20. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Count me as a skeptic that baby fertitta has the requisite experience to be the GM of a multi-f’ing-billion dollar enterprise.

this is so sad lol. NBA2k literally had this as the storyline for My GM - an overbearing owner who is trying to groom his son to take over your (the GM) spot