1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Stepping Down!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Captain Hook, Oct 15, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Remember how it was after Hakeem faded away? Now it's just like that but with no lottery picks and a cash strapped owner who wants his kids to GM.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

All that was a pure fluke. You literally had to change the lineup for a player to put up stats because he was trash otherwise and so was the team. Stop it. Right before covid stopped the season the rockets were struggling. It was already happening. Westbrick is straight garbage and has been on the decline for years. This year was the continuation. The next 3 years is going to be pure disaster with him tilman and a laughing stock staff

The only positives were coming from the usuals that have terrible iq around here. Guys like clutch etc were against it from day 1. I don’t need to name the regular members who have a Consistent quality understanding of the game that were against it from day 1. I and they know who they are. It’s well documented for the entire year and easily thread/posts bumped

Jontro likes this.
  3. MettaWorldPete

PLUS now the league has become more player-driven, and relatedly, superteam-driven, making it harder to attract and keep good players if you're not one of a handful of teams. Which we will not be one of. Not good.

D-rock likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Oh of course the missed 27 3 bullshit argument. Lol if you think a mid rangers would have got us that game, you are wrong. We were not winning that game with mid range. That was the goat team. We needed our second best player in Chris Paul who was actually good at it. I literally just told you what it was and teams did copy it. Morey has never said jack up 3 without a game plan that's stupid where are getting that from? Do you think eveyrone in the league has a stretch big man? Like what kind of nonsense are you talking about. Moreyball is about getting an efficient shot, its not about simply jacking up threes or layups either. You are way off base.

D-rock likes this.
  5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Your really overselling it my man... We can agree to disagree but when we win 50 games next year and lose in round 2 it will be the same god damn result Morey got us every damn year so whats the real difference?

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

They won’t. They’ll be lucky to make the playoffs as a bottom seed and lose 1st round if they do. Another year of decline for westbrick. Rockets probably losing some bench players. Trash staff. same trash cheap owner

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

Sad for us, but probably makes sense for Daryl for where he is in his life. Geting to spend time with his kids, leaving on his terms.

8. MettaWorldPete

We BARELY made it out of the first round this year. If we run it back next year with the same, but older roster we could be in trouble. If we run it back with the same roster and an inferior coach, which is a possibility, we'll definitely be in trouble. If the roster gets worse, we're ****ed.

I could see Harden leaving and Tillman getting Lin back onto the team to pander towards the Chinese market. Truly the darkest timeline. I am only half joking.

D-rock likes this.
  9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

So basically the same result we have had in 11 of Moreys season as GM we have made it to the conference Finals twice and gone 4-8 in those conf finals... Hell if this was the Texans the fans would be ******** on the owner for accepting mediocrity

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. the rockets were a upper seed with a realitic shot to go deep into the playoffs. oh and did you mention all that by never actually tanking during his tenure. wow damn impressive

Today, nah. In the future, nah.

11. TimDuncanDonaut

This

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

The board is extremely negative right now and exclusively about Fertitta. I'm definitely not going to fight for Fertitta because I don't like him, but I truly hope our situation is less hopeless than the current mood suggests.

Alexander refused to let the team tank to rebuild, which is a noble idea, but clearly one that doesn't work that great. We've discussed how that was a horrible idea many times, but we've all learned to accept it. I'm just reminding the board that Alexander had a lot of flaws as well, and so do most other NBA owners. Alexander's refusal to tank is also a big reason why Morey had one of the best win percentages in the NBA - it's not solely because he was good at his job. We also KNOW that Morey would have tanked like Hinkie if he could because that's how he operates... beyond what is considered extreme in the NBA.

I love Morey. I love the Rockets being the focal point of analytics in the NBA, and I love debating it all until we're blue in the face, but while we've had some great moments with Morey, there have also been a giant list of pretty horrible moments as well. Morey has always been high-risk and high-reward, operating under the premise that Houston was an underdog and had to take big chances. Whatever happened to getting better rather than increasing the variation? Increasing variation has done a lot for decreasing my cardiac health.... and probably Morey's as well. If I'm on an emotional roller coaster and I'm just a fan, I'm sure Morey is popping Tums for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Yao's injuries, McGrady's demeanor, Harden's lack of emotional engagement in critical games, twenty-something missed 3's, the perennial "our bench sucks" conversation... the list of lows is long. I feel like I've been in a relationship with a self-destructive thrill seeker.

I just want to acknowledge that despite Morey's league-changing practices, there ARE other valid paths... see all the teams that have won a championship in the last 13 years that aren't the Rockets. Fertitta seems to have made it work in some aspects of life at least, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the moment. Maybe we'll make it out of what seems like a nasty mess right now.

Anyway, if Lucas gets the job, I'm cancelling League Pass.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

We had one season with a realistic shot at making the finals, not winning the finals just making the finals. Literally just 1... So all this new "trash staff" has to do is make the finals 1 time before 2035 to put up more banners then the great Daryl Morey.

Dude was a good GM but yall are acting like Jerry West just walked out on us.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah keep that same energy going forward and don't start b****ing once you finally realize there's levels to this and for years to come it's going to be a complete shitshow

this incoming trash staff won't sniff close to what the rockets/morey were. It's always harder for those who have a more difficult time understanding to see whats ahead. its been pretty clear for a number of people since 2018 about the trajectory of this rockets franchise

HP3 likes this.
  15. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Morey is no Hakeem

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Oh im sure it will be rough seeing as how the guy that just walked out on us traded away every draft pick this team had for 20 years... Ill keep my same energy and you keep yours my man

17. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Serious question - Is this sarcasm, reading between the lines, or something else? I know he hypes is son, who is young, but do we really think that's his goal?

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Ive kept the same energy from day 1. still doing it now with how the rockets have continued to freefall

19. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

[​IMG]

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  20. kiwirocketsfan

Nobody could retool and redefine a team like Morey. He’ll be hard to replace and I’ll not have as much confidence in the next guy.

I wish him all the best.

Rashmon, D-rock and MettaWorldPete like this.