1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Morey] Robert Covington and BJ Young now members of the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jul 14, 2013.

1. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

I think both Covington and Young showed some good signed in Orlando... Cov looks like a guy who can hit the three and just play all around decent basketbal. Young had ways to get into the paint and finish at the rim that were impressive.

Again everyone here needs to remember that summer league doesn't make or break a player. It's a small sample showcase that means more to scouts/management looking for something specific than looking for the next star.

More than likely, all three of the rookies we signed today will spend most of their time in RGV. Not a bad idea tbh, let them get pt and call them if an injury occurs or they show some real talent.

I'm not 100% sure we need another center on the squad. DH and Omer take up 28 mil of the cap and there's still Greg Smith who can body up on a center in a pinch. I think we've got a young and somewhat balanced roster. I was thinking we might try for another vet for leadership purposes but we can pull that trigger later in the season with our room exception if need be. Let the young guys play and see what happens.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If we sign someone like Brand, one of our young PF's will be basically given no mins.

Expect brand to get 15 mins, Jones 15 mins, Motiejunas 12 and Howard 6

Then you would have Smith(or maybe Motiejunas) sitting on then bench, and if i was McHale i couldn't have the heart to do that.

Even though we do have a weak 4 spot, i believe all of our young 4's deserve at least 10 mins a game.

3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

BJ showed flashes of brilliance at Arkansas yet not quite up to par in terms of a true NBA distributor at this point. Fits better at the 2 imo, but with some work he could develop nicely as a combo guard.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

I'm a little apprehensive about Canaan & Covington now. Covington looked promising in SL, but whenever Morey hypes up a draft pick... and he did in Canaan's presser, those guys tend to bust up. It's the Morey curse. Maybe as bad as the postbadlee or DD curses.

Young got a "small first-year guarantee" if it was fully unguaranteed he wouldn't get paid.

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

So...what's wrong with the real Von Wafer? You would think he would be a little better now if he still has his elite athleticism.

6. jocar

jocar Member

I really like BJ. Can use both hands, not shy to go for the rim, accelerates very quickly near the goal and won't stop to answer phone calls.

7. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

LMAO!! This made my day :grin:

8. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Robert Convington is going to be a Stud in the NBA. Too bad he is prolly not going to get any playing time. Hope he shows out in the preseason.

9. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

BJ Young is a total steal. He can really play. He could make a nice sixth man one day. He can score in a hurry. Here's some highlights I made of him his Freshman year when he was projected to be a lottery pick.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DfD502J0VC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

What is average age for the Rockets at the moment? Is it lower than this past season? and where does it rank in the NBA?

11. texansalltheway

Morey should be highly praised for the job he has done the past couple of years

12. Asian Sensation

I've never seen him play but from that video he reminds me a lot of a young Jason Terry.

13. Raven

Raven Member

14. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

Covington's going to quickly become a fan favorite, much like D-Mo last season. He's fun to watch.

BJ Young...meh. Just another guard who had a few good Summer League games. THAT's never happened before.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think D-Mo is more a Clutchfans favorite at the moment. He still needs to prove himself on the court to most fans.

I think Covington and Young are both going to be RGV Viper regulars for at least the first half of the season.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Morey is creating a ton of competition at every position.

17. Normalus

Normalus Member

We didn't signed Casspi yet? If so - pliese don't sign this loser. We have Parson/Garcia/Covington. It's enough.

18. pippsux

pippsux Member

Where does more find these guys?

19. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

Why do people continue to question Morey's signings? If you haven't figured it out yet, there's a reason behind every move he makes. People didn't really care when he signed Delfino last season either.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I know! Heaven forbid the Rockets sign a non-rookie to a league minimum contract with a team option on the second year, which can be declined if he does (in fact) suck or can be exercised on the off-chance he's actually pretty good, thereby locking him in to a bargain-basement deal for 2014-15!

And imagine how horribly this contract would hurt the Rockets' cap situation (which involves having zero remaining cap room and no salary cap exceptions that would be adversely affected by such a signing)!

Thanks for the urgent warning to the Rockets and to all us fans, Normalus! If not for you, the Rockets could have made a monumental mistake that could affect them for DAYS to come!

:rolleyes:

(Just messing with you, Normalus. The Casspi contract has almost zero downside and plenty of upside. No need to get worked up about it. If he sucks, it's really no big loss. But if he's good, this will be a terrific contract for the Rockets.)

1 person likes this.