1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Right Now nobody is Untouchable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HowsMyDriving, Jan 4, 2010.

1. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

Sports Radio Interviews

Theres the interview there and a transcript for those who need one.

Happy New Year clutchfans!

2. ThaShark316_28

5 pages by 2:30.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Does that include Yao? Please say yes! :eek:

4. herro

herro Member

5. amaru

amaru Member

Probably not lol

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Here is the recap:

On what went into the decision to explore trades for McGrady:

“I don’t think it’s unusual but I can understand why people look at it that way. As far as staring at what coach and I were staring at, we were taking the best approach that we thought was fair to him and the team. I think coach covered it pretty well. Understandably he was looking to play more and I think also understandably coach felt like he couldn’t make any commitment to how much more. He needed to see how he was playing and how the team was playing before he could grow his minutes. That wasn’t something that worked for Tracy in a contract year. When he felt he had to have a hard commitment or otherwise wanted to be moved, I think we got together and we made the decision that it might be best for everybody that we look for trades.”

On Coach Adelman’s decision to just play him seven minutes at a time:

“I guess we don’t know the answer to that. I think coach was obviously willing to put him out there at the times that he felt like he could make sure that we would still give ourselves the best chance to win the game. I think he was committed to that. That coulda meant less than seven or more than seven on a given night depending on the matchup. I do feel like that’s the choice that woulda been made. That really wasn’t how it ended up being working for Tracy.”

On how active they are in their talks:

“It’s pretty active. We went from not really focused on moving him, we were fielding calls to, in fairness to him, we’re now looking more aggressively. It’s been pretty active since we made the decision. I think it’ll heat up now for a week or so as we try and feel out what opportunities might be out there. That said, there’s nothing close right now. We’re gonna be more aggressive. The reality of the league is not much happens before the deadline because everyone just waits everyone out. Some deals get done early and if something makes sense for both sides than we will obviously do it, but I think things are difficult to get done early because teams always try to add a little more, a little more versus just doing a deal that makes sense. It often takes a team a deadline to get the other side to get back to what is a fair deal.”

On whether or not he think the Rockets style can work in the playoffs:

“I think in the playoffs, it’ll be challenging for everyone this year in the West. Very difficult to win. We do believe this style can win in the playoffs. I think Phoenix made it to the conference finals more than one and Sacramento made it to the conference finals more than once. That said, we do need an all star level talent. We do feel like some of the guys on our team can develop into that. That said, if we can acquire it, we’re going to make sure we go out and try to get it. Long way of saying that I think we’re going to do our best make the best decision with the roster we have and were gonna continue to try and upgrade it as well.”

How he feels about the current roster:

“I think right now we don’t have anybody untouchable. I think if a deal helps us and makes the team better overall, I agree with you that those players are great players and we like all the players on our roster, but in my job it would be a mistake to not consider everything. If we can add something…and right now it’s going to be harder to deal because we feel like we are a pretty good team, so to upgrade it’s going to take fairly significant talent coming back this way. If it presents itself we’ll do it. If not we are very comfortable with the players we have.”

DD

2 people like this.
  7. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

if so, please lock. i didnt see it anywhere.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Translation: "Somebody send me an All Star level SG and a starter-quality NBA center and I'll let Scola go with McGrady's expiring contract"

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It's sad to say but I wouldn't mind trading Yao for legitimate talent. It seems like were running something different now.

I would love to see Yao return and remain healthy but that notion just seems far fetched. We do miss his height around the rim though so I'm torn until I see him on the court again.

But with all this being said, we all know Yao isn't going anywhere.

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Damn! Well... the question was for "current roster" and Yao is not really on our current roster. Still... one can only dream that we get rid of our big dumb troll... :(

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the recap, DD. I sure hope we keep Battier and Scola.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I doubt he would trade an injured YAO.

13. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

This interview's from New Years Eve.

14. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

cool, sorry. it must have just been uploaded to the SRI site this morning though, since its dated January 4th there.

in any case, its the first time i've heard that nobody is untouchable. thought that was worth a mention.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Height and talent are useless to a team when the guy ain't playing. For the last 4-5 years, he has failed to finish any seasons (yes I still count playoffs as part of the season) and in all honesty, I would rather slightly less talent for more games played. :(

16. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

If he mentioned the word "Trade" with the word "Yao". The media would have a field day, especially the Chinese media. I highly doubt he wants that distraction. We already have T-mac. He can worry about that next year as we attempt to fit Yao with his 8 minutes per game. lol

17. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

OMG!!! How ... what ...

I can't believe you said that!!!!!

18. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Height and Talent are not useless if a team was willing to alter one's schedule so we can insure he is fresh for the playoffs.

Yao's isn't Shaq, but during Shaq's championship days, he didn't play a full season. I wouldn't mind seeing Yao play 60 games a year to make sure he plays in the playoffs vs playing 82 games. With the current Roster we can make the playoffs and possible position ourselves for a good playoff spot.
    Would it be nice to have home court through the playoffs "Yes", but in reality this isn't happening as long as we are in the ultra competitive West without loads of talent to back it up.

19. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I heard this. I wouldn't flinch if we traded anyone on the roster - except for Carl and Aaron. They're underrated and I feel like it would be tough to get fair value. But if anyone can pull off magic it's Morey...I've learned that's an indelible fact.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont see how this is news, he's only been saying it since he got here, except for yao and even now he didnt really include yao, sounded like he was talking about the active roster, but i think Morey's point has always been no one is untouchable unless you're kobe or lebron

Thanks to DD for the recap though