1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on SR610 1/7/2010

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HowsMyDriving, Jan 7, 2010.

1. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

Morey on SR610

(chatter, DM sounds like he just woke up)

quick recap (i didn't capture the specifics of the language as well as i ususally do, but you'll get a feel for the conversation, anyway):

Host: what did you see in the D-League showcase in Boise?

DM: Dorsey went off for 27 & 11, went Yao Ming with 11 for 11 from the field and did a great job.

Host: what do you think that means for him?

DM: He could probably play in the NBA right now but there are no minutes for him, so we keep him down there to stay in tune.

Host: are all the players in the D-League property of NBA teams?

DM: actually it's the opposite, we'd like it to be more like baseball but its not right now, pretty much everyone is a FA in the d-league

Host: what about Ariza, he's really struggling

DM: we're working with him, although i think the criticism from yesterday is unfair. he missed a critical shot true, but had a good game overall. We were due to lose a few close games, so dropping a couple of these isn't unexpected really.

Host: 10 of the next 12 at home

DM: one thing to have em, another thing to win them. gotta take care of business.

Host: 110 points last night, but it was different from what's been happening lately, as the team has really struggled on offense

DM: yeah, we might have to do adjusting on this, maybe adjust the mix of players, who is playing with who and all that. Adelman is much better than me at that, so thats why he's working with the team and i'm in Boise.

Host: it was kind of a manic game last night

DM: yeah it was a crazy one but that's the suns. i watched the game with the suns GM and he told me that they consistently dont defend, and the score is going to fluctuate in wild swings. that's what happened.

Host: between now and the spurs on Jan 22nd, there are a lot of practice days, what do you want to get done?

DM: that's more of a question for rick, i dont think you'll see a change in the rotation much, but that's up to him. we might bring Joey up to the NBA club, but he probably wont see much time even if he outplays the guys that are in the rotation now.

Host: what's the prescription for Landry defensively?

DM: he knows what to do, but he isnt consistent. with defense you have to recognize what's coming a half second before it happens to be good. technique wise he's really sound and knows what to do. consistency and minimizing mistakes can often trump talent.

Host: have you drawn up a contract for Yao's kid yet?

DM: yes, we are going to try to buy a bond on him, owning 40% of the future of Yao's kid.

(inane chatter about cereal)

Host: Gilbert Arenas suspended indefinitely, any thoughts?

DM: if the commissioned hadnt suspsended him, the authorities might have.

Caller: larry bird is offering granger, etc for tmac, any interest in that?

DM: rumor is not true.

Caller: how much does the entertainment value of a player or team factor into decision making when assembling a team?

DM: zero. we focus on winning, that's all.

Caller: what about von wafer? any chance to get JR smith in a trade?

DM: about von, when he's healthy we'll take a look. not sure what will happen once he's healthy but we're staying in touch.

Host: keep in mind folks, DM can't really talk specifically about players on other teams, right DM?

DM: yeah, we are active in trades and i can only speak in generalities. we're trying to find an all star level talent to get back. either a current star, someone developing or declining as long as they are productive. we will take on salary if it makes sense. we'll do all that and try to find a home for tracy where he can get minutes.

Caller: happy youre out scoping the D-league.

Host: i imagine your math machine and sabermetrics is hard at work right now trying to find out who the trade targets are?

DM: yeah we have had several meetings over the holidays identifying who we want, and we are coordinated with mr. alexander to put together battle plans, understand the financial commitments we can take back, so hopefully we can go execute now.

Caller: is the situation with tracy personal or business? is this the best way to handle it? how will you feel if he makes the all star game?

DM: we've chosen this route, a reasonable person can always find other routes, but hopefully people understand we're doing the best to help the rockets win.

3 people like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thanks for the recap

3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

all i can say is...In Morey We Trust! lets just keep prayin for a good trade guys...

4. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Are these hints that they have targets insight for a trade? and the best approach to achieve it.

And could Rick make some minor changes to the rotation?

Good thing is now we'll have plenty of time to practice and get adjusted
    too any tweaking of the offense.

5. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

From the sounds of it, Morey is going after a game-changer/ all-star which makes me excited! Martin, Butler, Iggy, etc.

Hopefully there's a deal to be had and not just garbage for McGrady.

I'm hoping for Iguodala, personally, though if there was any legs to the Granger rumor he'd instantly be my first choice!

6. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

the thing that should give us all hope is that Morey repeatedly said that they were willing to take back money in order to get a player they want. you can interpret that as you want, but to me it says that they are willing to spend beyond the luxury tax if necessary in order to get the type of star they think the team needs, and deal with the ramifications of those moves later. it could be a situation where making one deal necessitates another deal, or a situation like that, in order to balance the roster out.

i didn't capture it as he said it in my recap, but he spoke strongly about their main interest being in trying to make a larger kind of move, not something insignificant.

7. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

I am sure that they have been working on a trade plan all season on Tracy. Targeting possible players/teams, and as soon as they all decided to make a trade Morey sent out his offers to the teams they targeted.

Every time he speaks I get a good sense of his ability to control not only the Tracy situation but the team in general. I still hold a lot of respect for CD/Rudy but Morey is just a better manager. Maybe because there is a business distance between himself and the players. CD & Rudy always on the player's perspective on the team, and Morey has the business perspective on it, and it has worked pretty well so far. No championships for him as yet, but it took CD & Rudy a decade or more to get it achieved.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

listening to the podcast now...

I am disappointed in OchoTexto... how can you not be entertained watching Yao??

He's 7'6"... everything he does entertains me.

9. Vienna Calling

...and they had this Hakeem Olajuwon guy ;)

10. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Morey knows exactly what to say and when to say it. As soon as he is no longer working for the Rockets I'm writing him on on the next presidential ballot. ;)

11. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

it took a decade, and the presence of a certain hall of fame center who, the more i watch basketball, seems like a once in a lifetime player.

not to derail the conversation, but i think i'll see 5 more jordans or jordan clones (kobe, etc) before I see another center like Olajuwon.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

don't worry about that troll. I honestly think he roots for Yao to get hurt.

13. Afterlife

Afterlife Member

I would love to see the d league be like the minors in baseball. Maybe add a round to the draft to get prospects you think you can turn around. Morey could really be dangerous then.

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

Is there something I am missing or missreading... Yao? what about? yall are talking about him as if he was playing.......

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

OT said that he's not entertained watching Yao do anything and asked Morey if entertainment value was something they considered when thinking about acquisitions or trades.

Morey said emphatically.. NO.

16. Salvy

Salvy Member

Oooh ok, sorry... Was hoping I was missing something big time.... :( Oh well....

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

no I think Ochotexto the the one "missing something".

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

That guys an idiot.

I'm sure he reads this board too.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

That's what she said.

(Wait, it literally is.)

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

"he (Ariza) had a pretty good game overall" I don't think so! The guy shot 30%. He is volume shooter that has the lowest shooting percentage in the NBA. His shot attempts MUST come down.