1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on SR610 1/28/2010

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HowsMyDriving, Jan 28, 2010.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's making solid points.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Really? Sounds like he's sidestepping a lot of what Fran railed about. He is very defensive. Also was wrong about coaches as San Antonio has the fewest coaching changes and not Utah. Currently defending Donte Green pick (which went for naught since he was dumped in the Artest deal). I need to look into his contention that the Celtics also have gone through 30 players in the same time period that Fran said about the Rockets under Morey.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Finishing in last place in the division, and losing a hall of fame coach, and the fans now starting to look at the job DM has done, and is tasked with doing......he is on the hot seat......

He knows this is his plan, and if it fails, he is toast too.

DD

4. HillBoy

Agreed, his butt will be the next one to go for sure.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Dada,

Do you believe we're a couple player moves away from a top 4 seed in the West as I do?

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Not disagreeing with any of the moves, more commenting on his tone, which is a lot different than his usual radio appearance where he calmly and dispassionately answers questions. It seems obvious that where in the past his moves have all been supported (IMWT) this move has drew criticism, both from the local media, and from fans.

He seems calmer now... just after the short clip from Fran.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ever heard of Jerry Sloan?

Morey also pointed out that the Celtics have had 30 players in 2 years as well.

8. HillBoy

He did, but that sounds fishy to me. No, he was right about Utah as they just changed coaches so they have made two changes to the Rockets' three.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think we are one GOOD center away from that spot now, with Adelman's offensive system.

But with a new coach, I really don't know, because so many of these players are successful because of that read and react system, not sure they would be as successful with a new system.

Kevin Martin for instance would not be as productive, IMO with a different system, and I am not sure he is good enough for another coach to build around his unique talents.

I just think a lot of the roster is built for the system, and with it gone, some of the players may take a step backwards, thus making the team further away, and in need of MORE turnover to get where it wants.

And whatever coach they bring in to facilitate the rebuilding will not be around to complete it, that rarely happens.

I do understand that the org thinks they are further away and wants to develop some other player, and maybe take their lumps doing that, but what GOOD coach is going to want to do that?

LOL....dang.

DD

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

OK, I agree, so what is the solution? Elston Turner (what happened with his withdrawal???) or Jack Sikma. Top assistants in a proven system WITH THE PLAYERS ON THIS ROSTER.

Oh, lots of roster changes coming (again). So, a complete and total new roll* of the dice?

*alternate: role (sic)

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

morey has no fear to tear up this roster. he has been searching superstar for a while and became desparete when yao went down. this roster has no superstar. this isn't what morey wants to have. when the rumor that les had no intention to give contract to ra got out i had an impression this current roster will have major makeups unless he gets a superstar free. of coz, it's impossible to have a superstar for free. so worrying km is meaningless. no player on this current roster is safe.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We are far away from a championship, and Morey knows it. Sure, a top 5 center would help, but that isn't going to happen without substantial roster turnover.

In Morey i trust.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I agree with this.

Wouldn't it be great to find a young coach that understand and has coached the Princeton offense, but has served as a young assistant under a championship mentor and is flexible enough to accept the situation as it is and develop the young players that Morey brings in? That's what I want to see. I don't want to scrap this offense. It works too well. We need to build on the offensive system, get an improved defensive system, and a young coach that will accept the roster changes and develop these guys.

We're not that far away.

I don't know Budenholzer's or Mike Brown's offensive pedigree. I do know watching Lebron in Cleveland was like watching McGrady in Houston, dribble, dribble, dribble from the top, run off the screen, and either shoot it, dribble drive for the slam, or dish it to somebody for a jumper. Hated watching that stuff.

However, I have been pleasantly surprised at Pops willingness to change his sytem in SA to keep up with the times and the rule interpretations. They move the ball extremely well and attack the rim from all angles. So.......

I still like Princeton offense.

#93 jopatmc, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  14. HillBoy

Dang indeed! Here's my take:

I think Blinebury's criticisms got under Morey's skin because they questioned the very heart of his strategy going forward. While he made the right noises about stability and such, this move on his & Les' part signals anything but. DM's plan going forward appears to be a constant churn of players until he "feels" that they have the basis for a championship team in place. In essence, the Rockets are about to embark on the same strategy that teams like the Clippers have been pursuing for decades. One of my biggest gripes about this organization has been the constant turnover in the roster that fails to yield results - first under CD and now continuing with Morey.

It all comes down to what one perceives to be current state of the Rockets. If you are of the opinion that the results of the past season prove they are a player or two away, then this was a bad decision to change coaches when they are so close to breaking through. On the other hand, if you think this team is nowhere close to contending, then you are more willing to give DM's plan a shot.

But I have to agree with you in that I don't know of a championship coach who would step into a situation like this especially when said coach knows coming in that he is in essence a "dead coach walking". Another thing to consider is just how long the red koolaid drinkers will stay on board as this team goes through players and coaches while trying to find that right "mix".