1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on SR610 1/28/2010

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HowsMyDriving, Jan 28, 2010.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I know that's what he meant, my point was his answer was sloppy because the logical question to ask after that answer would be "would tmac fit again next year with yao?" I'm surprised the host didnt catch that..

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

this year it's like morey said, tmac doesnt fit because A) he's still not completely back from surgery and may never get back to tmac level and b) for this team to work they need to share the ball more and tmac controls it too much. It makes sense to trade him and get someone who's talented ANd healthy, especially since tmac is a FA and some desperate team may throw a lot of money at him and morey wouldnt match because he knows tmac isn't a max player anymore.

now, would they resign him? I dont think we can rule that out even after this drama. It's safe to say we wouldnt bring him back as a #1 or 2 guy and he'd have to take a serious paycut, but i dont think the team has ruled it out if the money and role is right for him, but of course they also have to wait and see how he continues to progress. It's a business afterall, if Artest can get a second shot at basketball, and even Arenas i'm sure will, then why can't Tmac?

3. LifeisButaDream

DM:the league has us scouted just like la last year .we knew this was coming.but still keep the same team.that way RA does it look like a dum ass when we lose like the sixers coach. because there's a deep draft for bigs this year. ;)

4. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

So the games that he played injured taking pain killing shots and getting his knee drained don't me anything? This post actually speaks a lot about you as well. Short term memory and one-sideness to say the least. The guy has done both good and bad things here in Houston at least acknowledge that.

I'm looking forward to Tracy playing somewhere else now too. Hopefully, next year he can contribute to a quality ball club. I've wished that for all former Rockets who I grew to like during their time with the team. This team, if that is what it is, made some poor calculations that are evident right now. So enjoy...

I remember asking Feigen about whether or not this team could maintain their intensity through periods like now and he felt they could. I think that they are currently proving him wrong.

I, for one, believe that their season from here on out will be based on who they trade for and with whom they give up. Lowry should not be traded for the sake of maintaining Brooks unless you are bringing in a better PG in the process. I would not give up Landry and/or Scola unless there was a significant upgrade but I guarantee you the chemistry will be changed (ironic huh?) and the style of play will change (Adelman's "maintain it at all costs" system). When that happens, all of this talk from this season about those things will look very hypocritical to some while others will blindly follow under the pretense that they are "true Rockets" and others who disagree are something less.

5. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i believe so yes. if he says anything that seems especially important or controversial, i try to go back and capture the words as stated. can't promise it's 100% accurate, but it should be pretty close if not. i think i replayed that section a couple of times to make sure i got it right.

i wouldn't read too much into it though, as we all know that 20m will go quick once we factor in raises and new contracts for the FAs in the core rotation.

6. Hak34

Hak34 Member

If its that clear to you, or to Adelman that you should take your all star center, best player, tallest player in the league, best center when he's healthy, highest percentage of shots go in maker, and make him anything but the first option, then I guess mudd is pretty clear these days.

And for the record. I could care less what happens to TMac. But don't feed me this trite BS that TMac doesn't fit. He's fit before, and he would definately help this team now.

Unless Adelman wants to say that he is a complete hippocrite for claiming TMac can't fit with big minutes at his level of play compared to aahhhh ohhhh I dunno, 40 minutes of Ariza every stinking night.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

first, appreciate you taking the time to do it...wasnt questioning your ability, just curious if that was an exact quote.

anyway...by him telling us that number, it does add some certaintly to the guesstimates made re: how much Les is willing to go over the tax....which gives us a slightly better idea of what can be done and how much we can afford to pay.

Dont want to go over the numbers right now, but maybe Bima or someone more versed in the exact numbers can see if this lines up with earlier estimates made in previous threads.

8. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

It's good to hear that he is still staying up to date with Von's situation. I can't wait till he gets healthy so we can sign him.

Hurry up Von we need your offense!

9. alethios

alethios Member

This is sig-worthy

10. J-Wood

J-Wood Member

More like a diplomatic way of saying he pissed me off and I want him gone. That crap about him not fitting in is BS. The man played within Ricks sytem when Yao went down last year. So spare me all the he wont fit in crap. DM never would have brought Rick on in the first place unless he knew for a fact that Tracy or Yao would be able to fit within Ricks system under any injury circumstances.

The reason you play a man during a contract year has nothing to do with Tracy, but everyone knows that when it comes to players playing for a contract, they play better than ever becasue their career is on the line. Naturally, the Rockets could care less about Tracy's future, however, why not benefit from a man going out there and busting his a** every night because you know he needs to show someone else what he can do.

At this point, it could only help this club. If youre going to trade him then fine.. but it makes no sense letting 23 million dollars go to waste.. Play him until you trade him...I guarantee you he would do a hell of a lot better than Ariza at shooting guard... [

11. kturner77

kturner77 Member

Let me clarify for you...I think most people know that Tracy McGrady did a lot of good for the City of Houston both on and off the court during his years as a Rocket. I am not disputing that. What I do have a problem with is someone who QUIT on his team. That says--even in just that moment--that his thoughts were just about HIM, so that is why I question his character. We also know that most players want to have a great season in a contract year, but since when was that more important than the TEAM that you play for??

We all love the back to back championships that the Rockets won in '94 and '95; proud moments for all of us. However, we also want the Rockets to win more championships! Neither us as fans, or the Rockets' organization is satisfied with just 2 titles in the '90s. So, does McGrady deserve a pass for quitting just because of his track record? Tell that to his teammates last year. Bottom line is, McGrady is not playing right now. I guess the Rockets' organization also has a short-term memory and is one-sided.

12. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

Beauty of Adelman's offense (aka 'team basketball') is that it's not completely one-dimensional and dependent on 1 or 2 players to make the offense GO.
    I'm still pretty sure Yao gets the ball in the post in crunch-time when it counts.

Even with the inevitable departure via trade/FA this summer? I agree that if our goal was to make the playoffs THIS year, he'd definitely help. But what about next year and the years to come? As bad as Ariza is, I'd rather him taking shots and give him a chance to figure himself out if he's gonna be here for the long-term.
    I don't want TMac using Toyota Center as a proving ground for himself. So in that sense, TMac definitely doesn't fit!

13. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

When Morey says Tmac doesn't fit in with the current system, he is talking about the still recovering from major micro fracture surgery current version of Tmac who still wants his old minutes. Not the perrenial all star version of several years ago that some of you seem to think he still is.

14. choujie

choujie Member

When Yao returns, they can't keep both Tmac and Yao. Tmac has lost at least one step and at least half of his explosiveness, but he isn't going to settle for very little money and short contract with Rockets. Plus what Tmac has done to the organizaiont last year, they'll let him go regareless even if he fits.

15. PeppermintCandy

Hmm that is suspicious. I wonder how long they plan to keep Taylor in the D-league.

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I don't think Tmac will resign with the rockets if Adelman is still the head coach.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

............long enough for Philly to get a look see and we send him to Philly with McGrady and Lowry.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think he's saying anything different than before.

In an earlier interview, he said Les is willing to spend up to the tax threshold but wouldn't want to pay tax, other than in exceptional circumstances (i.e. superstar, I think).

The $20 million is about the same... Assuming the Rockets bring back Chuck and Carl on their cheep option, they'll have $43 mil in salary, or about $23 mil away from the estimated tax limit (may be less, depending on the league revenue drop). This they can spend on a 1st round pick's salary, brining back Scola, bringing back Lowry, sign a FA, or pay someone that a TMac trade brings back that will be under cotract next season.

I think the $20 mil number is simply a rough number he throws out to say that Les will budget for the lux tax threshhold.

1 person likes this.
  19. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

It would've been nice if you would have said that without someone calling you on it.

Hopefully my last warranted T-Mac comment:

Anyway, we just disagree. I believe that he needed to have the surgery. I believe he tried to play on it. I observed how he played and moved and because I went through the same type of injury that required the same type of microfracture surgery it pains me to keep hearing all of this quit on the team stuff. I personally think he should have not come back at all last year but as reported, both sides tried to tough it out without success regarding his on court performance. And of course he would have been vilified for that too and presumably labeled a quitter then as well. You have a right to your argument about T-Mac quitting and I have a right to disagree and recognize the hypocrisy within the rhetoric of the coach and GM as well. The bottom line for me remains that this guy does more for the team playing than he does in exile conceivably losing more trade value by the day (regardless of being viewed by some on here as only an expiring contract). But it appears per said Coach and GM that he has to go one way or another because of this team's potential or whatever it was. So that's that.

As for the current team:

So I guess it's smart to be losing with an it's "a developmental year" because Yao will be our savior next season attitude while a $23 million (minus what was paid by insurance) player at the position that you have the most need is off working out in Chicago? We currently are on the outside looking in for the playoffs and are still in search of a consistent offensive threat. Our defense is not getting it done anymore so the "we don't want to sacrifice our defense" excuse doesn't work here. Our offense is more erratic than the Dow Jones but we love some chemistry, intangibles and heart don't we? On top of all of this, you have a shooting guard as your point guard who is too erratic and not a solid floor general. Then there's Landry who often requires that same player to feed him the ball in the post so he can do his thing. That's the same problem the team had regarding getting Yao the ball at times (the freaking entry pass; unless Mr. In-Exile and/or Rafer was giving him the ball). Have you noticed how much more active offensively Landry is when the other PG is in the game? Plus you have questionable substitutions or lack thereof down the stretch of games to address.

Call me frustrated, disappointed or naively having had too high of an expectation for this team when I thought of a roster that included Scola, Landry, Lowry, Brooks, Ariza, Budinger, Hayes and etc. (plus Mr. In-Exile)... So yes, I'll enjoy my memories of Clutch City/those 2 championships and suggested by the name of this site (and the nostalgic Rudy T article) many others will too. And for the record, the team is starting to look like they are professionally quitting so what are you going to say about them? That was not just a "moment" but a series of games at home. Will you look back on the Hawks game/this current losing streak and write an article/thread entitled "The Day the Rockets Lost the City of Houston?" Or better yet to conserve your memory, you can recycle what you have currently said here, right? :rolleyes:

20. Hui

Hui Member

It is pretty lame that big minutes is more then 7-8 min a game.