1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on play calling:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Feb 28, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

1: The current Rockets team almost never calls a play except out of time outs.
    2: Large sample size studies have shown that calling a time out to set up a play actually decreases offensive output significantly.
    3: In game coaching is not even marginally significant. However player management skills are the head coaches most important task.
    4: The players actually play the game. If a head coach is dependent on in game coaching he has already failed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/66319/everything-you-know-about-basketball-is-wrong-2

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Jeff had a horrible offense which is common knowledge, was there any mention of Adelman?

1 person likes this.
  3. meh

meh Contributing Member

And his offense was predicated on set plays. That's why you see throwing the ball into Yao and if it fails someone throws up a bad shot. Ironically, what many posters here believe McHale should be doing. Running set plays and should that play fail, heave up a bad shot.

4. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

So true. Miami has won two straight titles on just knowing how to play together.

5. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Cause the players are smarter than the coach.

Joking aside, McHale is not a bad coach at all.

I don't know why the guy is getting so much hate.

SMH

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

None. But given Adelman's recent stint in Minny I am not sure the last time he was actually relevant.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

So you're saying Miami runs a rigid style of offense of perfectly diagramed sets that does not call for player freedom to read and react to the defense?

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If your running a play and your players don't switch to read and react when a play is broken I think that is a big fail as a coach. I really don't see the big problem in using set play calls and read and react, there will be times when they are both needed throughout the course of a game.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

lol, Was Mchale relevant after Minnesota? If not we should not have hired him.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Modern NBA defenses will eat you alive with set plays. You have to push it now, otherwise defenses will sniff out what you are doing and stop it.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think what you are actually referring to is the point of attack. That is designed into the offensive system. Going to Howard in the post early in the game is how the Rockets play basketball. Continue what succeeds until the other team adjusts. Then go to another point of attack. P&R. The dribble drive. Rinse and repeat.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

How many illegal defenses were called against the Rockets? It was like the most ever this season. I thought zone defense was legal but not against the Clippers?

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Did I reply to your post with snide derogatory comments aimed at the Rockets organization?

14. Nook

Nook Member

Every team has basic sets they start in and that includes the Rockets. The difference is that you no longer have coaches barking out scripted plays because it doesn't work and hasn't with the rule changes and the brilliant defensive advancements made by coaches such as Tom Tibs.

You can get snarky all you want, but the evolution in the role of coaches in the NBA and effectiveness of offense has been a hunch of guys like Riley and Morey the last 4 years and the numbers filtering out the last two years support the hunches... Fast paced, loosely based plays with an emphasis on player reaction works, and is your best shot to limit elite defenses.

Adelman hasn't adapted and it shows. McHale was open to what the "brains" said and it shows.

15. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Then why does it seem the team can't win against top level defense?

Play calling isn't always a set play. It can be a variation of sets where the players can still read and react out of it.

I one I always talk about is HORNS. Opens up the paint, the guys can run a variation of plays out of it. Double pnr, into a single pnr. You can pass into the elbow, set a screen for the wing who comes off and runs a handoff. These are just basic examples.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

no why?

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

That was certainly well said sir!

18. Nook

Nook Member

Most teams struggle against elite defenses, the Pacers for example design their defense to force mid range shots.. And it works well. The Rockets run horns all the time, but it is only a template.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I think my point was most teams do both. I also don't recall being snarky, i'm not sure what you guys are so easily worked up about over two questions and a joke. lighten up, lol.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

People here confuse a transient ephemeral offensive set that lasts less than two seconds in the Rockets offensive strategy with a set play. Screen shots abound, but they never show that horns melts away into dribble drive or the high screen and roll almost immediately. It is read and react. Nothing open here? React with a different strategy. Immediately.